Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Hostile Activity  (Read 13444 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Hostile Activity
« on: September 01, 2022, 10:19:00 AM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 10:21:01 AM by Alex »

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Hostile Activity
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »

This is great for Commerce!

Would NPC Commerce provide semi-permanent bounties as well or not really because the faction already do that?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »

Would NPC Commerce provide semi-permanent bounties as well or not really because the faction already do that?

This is player-colony-only, yeah - as you note, the regular faction-system bounties already do that, more or less.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »

Huh we were all just discussing stuff like this! Sounds pretty nice, looks like it'll tie in nicely with the contact and bar mission system as well.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »

Event Progress: By your actions of excavating, assembling the blueprints for, and building - a Domain Era Star Siphon, +50 points added to the Event "The Stars go Dim."

Great to see more hooks for mods to add ways to interact with their content that aren't just hostiling them. Also I'm personally a fan of more menus to traverse, but woe betide the average starsector player who's going to encounter more dreaded Reading. I also don't envy when you get back to setting up new player onboarding Alex, with how people prefer to click past tutorial popups.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 10:51:11 AM »

Isn't a 40% accessibility penalty much harsher than the current pirate/luddic activity modifiers?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »

Oh this sounds really cool, much more interesting and interactable than current super random "you'll be getting a visit from x in y days". Which brings me to a question, does this replace faction expeditions? It looks like only pirates and Pathers are currently involved in the system, with no mention of expeditions. And what about Hegemony AI inspections?

Btw reading this, I got the feeling "oh there will be so much new stuff to learn in the next update". Don't know why, but my first reaction was being overwhelmed and confused. Then having looked and screenshots it seemed much more simpler than it first appeared. Later explanations helped out as well.

And daaaamn those multiple teases!
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »

i think i'd kinda want to see faction hostilities reworked into these events too, but with the possibility to fizzle out naturally... or bc of player actions. Something where conflicts start as small skirmishes, escalates into some light raiding and then can build to a major raid, fizzle out, or just keep smoldering... either through "natural causes" or bc the player decided to steer the conflict one way or another

Current faction hostilities are just mostly nothing unless the factions share a system

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 10:57:57 AM »

Very interesting system! I can already see how this could be utilized for creating organic-feeling endgame occurences  :)

Are there any plans for this system affecting non-player colonies? More specifically, could a player get "Events" like these affecting the colonies of a faction they're commisioned for, maybe with a slightly changed up set of options to reflect the fact? If not, could something like that be feasibly modded into the game?

tentafill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »

Made account 2 post this, to hopefully plant some kind of seed if it is not already

With regards to this:

To encourage the “fight the symptoms” approach, the Commerce industry adds a semi-permanent bounty to all of your systems, once the impact gets high enough – posted by the independent commercial interests that are operating in your systems. This both makes Commerce a more interesting pick (and, working on a few other things in that direction, but mum’s the word) and shows how other mechanics can tie into this system.

Maybe I am alone on this, but I personally make a point to *not* build commerce, I just don't like the idea of private  businesses running much of anything, it's fun headcanon. Anyway, it would be cool if there were some kind of tradeoffs to having commerce and not having commerce.

(I apologize if there already are; it has been a while since I have actually played Starsector, I just follow development nowadays)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:03:48 AM by tentafill »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »

Huh we were all just discussing stuff like this! Sounds pretty nice, looks like it'll tie in nicely with the contact and bar mission system as well.

It could, yeah. I'm thinking about how contacts might tie into this, but haven't really settled on anything that I actually like yet.

Event Progress: By your actions of excavating, assembling the blueprints for, and building - a Domain Era Star Siphon, +50 points added to the Event "The Stars go Dim."

Great to see more hooks for mods to add ways to interact with their content that aren't just hostiling them. Also I'm personally a fan of more menus to traverse, but woe betide the average starsector player who's going to encounter more dreaded Reading. I also don't envy when you get back to setting up new player onboarding Alex, with how people prefer to click past tutorial popups.

Haha! I'm not sure this is really more menus to traverse - it's more of an executive summary, or at least that's how it's intended.

Isn't a 40% accessibility penalty much harsher than the current pirate/luddic activity modifiers?

Pirate Activity goes up to 50% right now.

Oh this sounds really cool, much more interesting and interactable than current super random "you'll be getting a visit from x in y days". Which brings me to a question, does this replace faction expeditions? It looks like only pirates and Pathers are currently involved in the system, with no mention of expeditions. And what about Hegemony AI inspections?

Btw reading this, I got the feeling "oh there will be so much new stuff to learn in the next update". Don't know why, but my first reaction was being overwhelmed and confused. Then having looked and screenshots it seemed much more simpler than it first appeared. Later explanations helped out as well.

And daaaamn those multiple teases!

Right now, punitive expeditions are unchanged. Though I could see rolling them into this, possibly converting AI Inspections into their own Event, and so on. I feel like "Hostile Activity" is a good starting point, but I need to get a better feel for how this all shapes up. I have some specific ideas for what else might get factored in here, and how, but... we'll see. I think, again, the HA stuff is a good starting point/a good way to convert a self-contained chunk of functionality into this system, while leaving everything functional and not having, like, a required complete overhaul of all of the campaign stuff on my hands. Which is why, currently it's fairly self-contained!

i think i'd kinda want to see faction hostilities reworked into these events too, but with the possibility to fizzle out naturally... or bc of player actions. Something where conflicts start as small skirmishes, escalates into some light raiding and then can build to a major raid, fizzle out, or just keep smoldering... either through "natural causes" or bc the player decided to steer the conflict one way or another

Current faction hostilities are just mostly nothing unless the factions share a system

Hmm, possibly? Though I'm not immediately seeing how a web of faction relationships/hostilities would get mapped onto an event progress bar.

Are there any plans for this system affecting non-player colonies? More specifically, could a player get "Events" like these affecting the colonies of a faction they're commisioned for, maybe with a slightly changed up set of options to reflect the fact? If not, could something like that be feasibly modded into the game?

Nothing I'd call "plans", no, though something like that is a possibility and could definitely be modded in.

Maybe I am alone on this, but I personally make a point to *not* build commerce, I just don't like the idea of private businesses running much of anything, it's fun headcanon. Anyway, it would be cool if there were some kind of tradeoffs to having commerce and not having commerce.

(I apologize if there already are; it has been a while since I have actually played Starsector, I just follow development nowadays)

Hi! Well, Commerce takes up an industry slot, so there's already a tradeoff there. I'd imagine that making that tradeoff bigger would involve making the impact of those industries bigger and more interesting, sort of how Commerce gets this "permanent bounty" benefit.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »

This is an upgrade over the current "you just get attacked lmao" system, but at the same time I can't say it has bothered me much anyway. I would be much more interested with endgame uses for this feature.
I hope the best Stellaris situation will make it in!
[close]

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:55 AM »

"Does this unit have a soul?"

"Yes 03, we all have souls. You ask me every Monday morning..."
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »

Hi! Well, Commerce takes up an industry slot, so there's already a tradeoff there. I'd imagine that making that tradeoff bigger would involve making the impact of those industries bigger and more interesting, sort of how Commerce gets this "permanent bounty" benefit.
I missed this - I'm a big enough fan of this kind of approach to industries to make a separate post about it. Currently, almost all industries are about making money and >only< about making money - save for Heavy Industry, which you want to get and upgrade perhaps sooner than other industries, because it doesn't just earn you money, it makes ships and weapons and fighters you can have way more fun with, than just money! I know it's unreasonable to expect all the industries to have the same impact as Heavy Industry, but something will definitely be better than nothing.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 11:25:37 AM »

This is looking absolutely great - I'm looking forward to the way this is going to play out in the vanilla game, let alone that I'm slightly giddy at how much work it's going to save me on the backend with my planned mod content.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what sorts of rich midgame content this can add - it seems like this is going to make the stretch of the game between establishing your first colony and hitting a big endgame fleet and a secure colony or group of colonies, really satisfying and challenging.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7