Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cannot win the first fight in the tutorial (please help!)  (Read 1814 times)

tbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cannot win the first fight in the tutorial (please help!)
« on: August 30, 2022, 08:37:58 AM »

I just bought the game and to my dismay and frustration I'm stuck three minutes into the tutorial.  I cannot win the first fight in the tutorial against the pirate.

Let's back up. The tutorial, all three minutes I've seen is nice. Everything is explained nicely: I fly to the debris field, press 6 to scavenge. I pick the loot. And then the pirate show up (described as "Don't worry - the pirate ship is a shoddy rust bucket"). Bang! I'm in a fight without any hints, help or even what keys to press. Yeah, anyway. I can live with that. I kind of assumed this would be a simple, training fight but the pirate is completely OP and just kicks my ships' ass... repeatedly.

So the fight begins... I press [TAB] to get into the action screen(1), and then the mouse button to start firing at the pirate. His hull is barely scratched and my ship is gets disabled within moments, followed shortly by my drone ship getting killed. Reload. I tried like five times now and cannot win. I've been WASD back and forth but it doesn't matter.

What am I doing wrong? Please help, I want to give this game a chance :)

Btw, I started with the Wayfarer and the Drone tender. The rust bucket pirate is a Venussean Cerberus Standard Combat Fighter, if that says anything to anyone.

(1) By accident I found the TAB key. Before that I was on the grid screen with the icons repeatedly getting killed since I could not really do anything except panning and zooming.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot win the first fight in the tutorial (please help!)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 08:39:57 AM »

Hi! There are a few combat tutorials - accessed from the title screen of the game, under "tutorials" - that I suspect would be of great help. I can totally see how if you just jump into the campaign without any info on how combat works, it could present a bit of a problem :)

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 08:54:54 AM »

1. When scavenging ships, you don't have to scrap everything. The expectation is that you recover some ships - especially since this debris field has some military grade ones!

2. Combat tutorial gets you some basics that allows you to fight, but make sure to refit ships before combat!

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 08:55:59 AM »

One hint if you're still having trouble: Don't underestimate the value of the starting Wayfarer's Ion Cannon, on the right side. It's awkward to hit with, but against an unshielded target the EMP damage will quickly disable enemy weapons temporarily or cause their engines to flame out.

tbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 10:19:17 AM »

Yeah, apparently you can toggle on and off the shield with RMB. That made the fight a hell of a lot easier. :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »

Yeah, apparently you can toggle on and off the shield with RMB. That made the fight a hell of a lot easier. :)

That'd do it :D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 02:35:33 PM »

Is the first fight at the mining station (try to sneak but failed) or the bigger fight against a Venture and friends at the gate?

The pirate fleets can be dodged and the gate reactivated without a fight.  In fact, it is better to reactivate the gate first without fighting, report back to complete that part and activate a system bounty, then kill the pirate fleets for more cash from the bounty.

The fight itself (everyone at the gate) is kind of hard because of relatively low PPT of your small ships.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »

I would suggest playing all the tutorials and some of the missions on the main menu before starting off in the campaign. Also, there is a simulator system built into any of the refit screens that can let you practice without loss or having to reload.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 11:31:18 PM »

Is the first fight at the mining station (try to sneak but failed) or the bigger fight against a Venture and friends at the gate?
Earlier:
You start in the middle of nowhere and are told you supplies are lacking. (start of tutorial)
you fly to the debrisfield.
you get explained how to quicksave
a pirate ship (not even a fleet) attacks, here it fails.
you fly to ancrya
you sneak to mining station

did you know you could spawn more than one ship in combat?
You could try a start with better gear, e.g. the Hammerhead or Apogee start are very strong.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:33:59 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »