Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minor Cosmetics  (Read 1487 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Cosmetics
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 05:45:11 PM »

Related, sensible too I think, but it really is a necro so I'll just link it. Targeting UI gets massive, too.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 10:13:28 AM »

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying? I was saying that I didn't want to show countdown timers, in a post right after saying that I'd added red-text to show which weapons are disabled. And of course, even now you still have visual info on which weapons are offline - they're dimmer, spawn repair-sparks, and there's a floating-text message when they go offline.
I see. Thank you for reading the forum and improvement. I was a bit fast to explain an issue, which existed only in my head.
Anyway, to my defence
- In 4 months of  playing I didnt noticed that  the weapon is dimming while  disabled. So in my head  there was no feedback.  So make line red is welcome.
- You are right there is a text message over a ship, when weapon is disabled, however, it has similar information value like messages about low CR. Negative perception caused by Information noise is almost equal to positive information  value. e.i. Text message information is very difficult to link, what weapon was disabled. If there is an option to "Disable text  messages  about  weapons" I would tick it on. Simply because low information value  while noticeable disturbance  value.

Wraps it around,  it looked me, that current feedback about  ship status is low. (or difficult to read (same color for  different flux types split by an almost invisible notch)) Therefore, an idea that user can get more info about ship status is great. (repair bar) So I wrote a funny Startrek story to emphasize importance of UI details.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:20:20 AM by gG_pilot »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 11:12:55 AM »

Spoiler
I see. Thank you for reading the forum and improvement. I was a bit fast to explain an issue, which existed only in my head.
Anyway, to my defence
- In 4 months of  playing I didnt noticed that  the weapon is dimming while  disabled. So in my head  there was no feedback.  So make line red is welcome.
- You are right there is a text message over a ship, when weapon is disabled, however, it has similar information value like messages about low CR. Negative perception caused by Information noise is almost equal to positive information  value. e.i. Text message information is very difficult to link, what weapon was disabled. If there is an option to "Disable text  messages  about  weapons" I would tick it on. Simply because low information value  while noticeable disturbance  value.

Wraps it around,  it looked me, that current feedback about  ship status is low. (or difficult to read (same color for  different flux types split by an almost invisible notch)) Therefore, an idea that user can get more info about ship status is great. (repair bar) So I wrote a funny Startrek story to emphasize importance of UI details.
[close]

Fair enough, on all points :)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 02:38:51 PM »

If there is an option to "Disable text  messages  about  weapons" I would tick it on. Simply because low information value  while noticeable disturbance  value.
You can do this in the settings. Look for "Show other floating text (weapons, etc)" and turn it off.
TL;DR deez nuts

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 08:22:01 AM »

Spoiler
Anyway, to my defence

[close]

Fair enough, on all points :)
I was further thinking about balance of precise info vs certain uncertainty.
Here is an idea borrowed from Dungeon&Dragons.  Player use 20sided die to check hit. There is whole book how to precisely count it. On top of it, there 2 simple rules, which override everything:
in case  you roll 1 you miss
in case you roll 20 you hit
It is uncertainty.

Abstraction to this is a  captain  from my story. Picard on the bridge.
He receives the information something is broken.
He receives precise information that it takes 10seconds to fix.  (he sees the countdown timer on the main screen)
However,
in case  you roll 1 it  takes 30% more time
in case you roll 20 it  takes 50% less time
It is uncertainty.

There is a reason why bonus is bigger, human brain consider punishment more seriously. Therefore this trick could make it to most players (who obviously dont read game manual) feels like fair.
Result is, player (usually) gets precise info, how long it takes.
Some times, weapon/system start to work again in the middle of the repair bar, (good luck uncertainty)
OR it also might happen, when repair info bar fills up to 100% it suddenly bumps down to 70% and count again. (bad luck uncertainty).

I know some people  recommend add a digital number which shows  repair status. well, ....
To preventing UI clutter I would recommend to use weapon reload bar as repair bar status. e.i. in case weapon line is red, graphic element which is already there, switches the meaning.

Final Evaluation:
Player gets info. Usually. UI is not cluttered by another number. Uncertainty is there.In fact, it has graphical representation, Uncertainty is intentionally visualized.  Player can hypnotize repair bar an BOOM (bad/good) luck hits > Emotion explosion.

So, do I deserve a cookie ?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:42:45 AM by gG_pilot »

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 12:04:38 PM »

Im really aganist the uncertanity stuff for several reasons.
Also aganist the weapon repair bar beacuse it would clutter the UI even more. Weapons will come back online eventually. You just wait a bit, and retreat while they do not work. You would do it even if you knew how much time is left actually.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 08:57:04 AM »

Another minor cosmetic is the in-battle tactical display.
Specifically the CR and hull readouts are at the top of each ship image.
But the d/s-mods are also at the top of the image, and in many cases completely obscure the former.

Suggest either:
Moving the hull and CR bars to the bottom of the image.
OR
Not displaying d/s-mods in the tactical map.

Slightly prefer not showing the mods since they're not particularly relevant in the tactical map and feel like clutter.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2022, 03:36:47 AM »

Well, since this kind of became a general feedback thread, let me just complain about how the bind for Crew/Cargo is "I", which is practically unusable. There are some other oddities like cancel assignment in fleet command being "N" but you can change that yourself.

Planet surveying binds are weird because they suddenly switch from normal dialogue binds(1, 2) to letters("G") and then go back to 1, 2 once you're done.

Finally the keybind to switch from Trade to Colony Info is "M" which is again something I'll never actually use a bind for because it's just too far away.
Pages: 1 [2]