Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make a variant of every weapon for all size slots.  (Read 898 times)

Shashakul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Make a variant of every weapon for all size slots.
« on: August 28, 2022, 08:26:29 AM »

Some weapons like most missiles, energy pulse lasers, machine guns etc. have a variant for all size slots. But what about middle and large variant for tactical laser, small and large variant of phase lance, little and large variant of graviton beam, middle and small variant of HI laser? I could continue but I think you get the logic. I'd love see that as mod.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: Make a variant of every weapon for all size slots.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 09:28:05 AM »

Is there a large machine gun?
Tacyonlance is large phase lance.

To an extent, I agree, but more because there are niches not filled for certain weapon type/size combos. No small kinetic strike for instance.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 10:08:22 AM »

I want some decent homing missiles in medium mount that can be spammed like Swarmers or Locusts.  All medium has for homing options is Harpoons and Breach, which the AI only uses as a finisher (justified with Harpoons, but not with medium Breach if it has at least double normal ammo).  Downgrading to Swarmers is not a good option for the big ships because they are too big and slow to work with Swarmers poor range.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 02:00:58 PM »

It would make the game dull and unbalanced.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 07:33:56 PM »

But what about middle and large variant for tactical laser, small and large variant of phase lance
Omega's Rift Lance is the small phase lance.  About same DPS, faster fire rate, shorter burst, and costs a bit less OP.  Its biggest advantage is combining it ePD+IPDAI for 200 more range.  Also passes through missiles like Tactical Laser, but unlike Tactical Laser that struggles to track missiles, Rift Lance functions closer to burst PD.  Too bad Omega drops are limited.

HIL used to do energy damage, and it was awful (as almost quad damage Tactical Laser).  Changing damage type from energy to HE was the biggest improvement it received.  It went from useless to excellent armor-breaker.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »

That's exactly what Alex doesn't want to do, I think. We touched on the topic a couple times, and it would streamline every slot into the same. I tend to agree. I'm all in favor of adding more weapons, as long as every weapon is special in some way that extends the game in a fun way.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 07:01:49 PM »

I tend to find the current roster to be analogous.  The comparison between tac laser, graviton beam/ion beam, and HI laser is fairly narrow.  They're all the same general role without absolutely overshadowing the smaller mounts.

You have harpoons to hurricane as well.  Both more or less do the same thing, but the med and small harpoons are geared against smaller ships and the hurricane falls off against frigates, but it's fundamentally better against destroyers and better.

We already do have a variant for every weapon in all size slots and even a few weapons that are wholly unique.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 07:17:00 PM »

It's pretty trivial to bash vanilla weapons into mega and mini versions of each other, if you're so inclined.

It's a lot of work you're looking at, though, so - better start now. Krita's free and has all the tools you need, just about.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 08:18:39 PM »

Not every weapon, that's just way too much.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 12:40:07 AM »

.......why?
like really, why?
It really sounds like you want to have this just for the sake of having a box ticked, instead of adding meaningfully different weapons.
It would just be bloat and pretty boring.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 12:42:31 AM »

I want some decent homing missiles in medium mount that can be spammed like Swarmers or Locusts.  All medium has for homing options is Harpoons and Breach, which the AI only uses as a finisher (justified with Harpoons, but not with medium Breach if it has at least double normal ammo).  Downgrading to Swarmers is not a good option for the big ships because they are too big and slow to work with Swarmers poor range.
hmm, i'd kinda like something like a Atropos pod, though i am sure several mods already have done that. Though issues with the AI could persist...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 05:09:56 AM »

hmm, i'd kinda like something like a Atropos pod, though i am sure several mods already have done that. Though issues with the AI could persist...
While that would be nice, Atropos are already too similar to Harpoons, and they have less range.  AI uses Atropos as finisher.  Best thing about Atropos is they do not need ECCM is work well.  Harpoons need ECCM unless the ship can shoot a huge cloud of them.

I would not mind Breach pod getting a bit more base ammo, then change the AI flags on medium Breach pod so that AI can spam them freely like Swarmers and Locusts.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 05:26:08 PM »

Breach simply needs an AI adjustment. It's already fairly high-ammo compared to everything but Annihilators and should be used liberally. Then you've got the missile you wanted.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 06:03:57 PM »

Breach simply needs an AI adjustment. It's already fairly high-ammo compared to everything but Annihilators and should be used liberally. Then you've got the missile you wanted.
Yes, Breach has relatively long endurance.  After checking the weapon stats again, it has a bit less endurance than Swarmers and Locusts.  Breach can be spent in 100 seconds, Swarmers in about 112, and Locusts in about 133.  Give the Breach Pod ten more missiles (i.e., 60 missiles instead of 50) and it will be between Swarmers and Locusts in endurance.

That said, Swarmers used to be fired at will when it had 60 missiles (which was not quite enough).  I guess 50 base missiles (or 100 with racks) is barely not enough endurance for spamming with Breach pod.