Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Misc. Changes  (Read 479 times)

ClnCarp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Misc. Changes
« on: August 31, 2022, 07:24:58 AM »

I have been playing this wonderful game for a while now, decided to write up some suggestions, in no particular order:

Missions:
The ship heist/surplus ship procurement bar/contact mission feels too busted- you get a (usually) d-mod-less ship, a boost to reputation, and at what often feels like one-third of the normal price of the ship, without risking anything. I feel like they should, at least, very rarely offer higher-tier ships, as quite often if take these missions I end up having a bunch of dominators, eagles and falcons in my fleet that I barely paid for- it just feels less exciting to play the early game and try to get these more expensive ships via scavenging battlefields/saving up for them, when they just fall into my lap all the time. Again, it feels like the rarity of the ships offered/ the occurrence rate of the event should be significantly lower.

Economy:

While its obvious that some ways of earning money will be better than others, I feel like trading is way too easy and boring right now. The main problem is the Ludic Path/Pirate markets that are constantly undersupplied. Getting a bunch of cargo ships, and just enough military ships so that pirates will not engage lets you just print money. For example, buy drugs/Armaments/Supplies/Fuel in Culann/Eochu Bres/Askonia and shipping them to Umbra is a trivial way to make hundreds of thousands of credits per trip, is completely safe, and “legal” I.E. requiring no black market trade (except for Umbra, where you offload). From Umbra you can get marines to Chalcedon, and just repeat the cycle. This is a completely stable trade route, which requires no setting up, no influence from the player, and carries no risk, all the while being one of the most lucrative ways to earn credits. Starsector has a very cool economic system, which has the potential to be ever-changing and allowing the player to profit massively from smart decisions, but LP/Pirate markets just throw too much of a wrench into the whole scheme.  Maybe the buying power of the markets should be limited by the economic power of the faction/planet?

Future features:

In the “Diversifying the Factions” blogpost, changes to Sindria were outlined-specifically, adding (basically) a d-mod to their most elite patrols. I feel like this is not the way to go about it, lore-wise or gameplay-wise. Lore wise, it does not make too much sense for Philip Andrada to be competent enough to manage to secede from the Hegemony (after climbing to a high rank there, no less) but also dumb enough to make his own ships a lot worse. I feel like it would be better if the modified ships were changed to be better at certain strategies that the dictator feels like are the superior ones and made worse in other fields as the result. For example, perhaps Andrada holds the belief that a strong, quick, decisive strike is the key to victory – so the ships would be modified with +25% to fire rate for ballistic and energy weapons at a 25% penalty to flux generation – that way, the already flux-starved midline ships that Sindria deploys would become even more vulnerable, due to double dipping flux usage, but would provide an interesting, dangerous opponent. Gameplaywise, I, and I think many other players would be more interested in trying to acquire these kinds of ships, instead of worse midlines with built-in solar shielding.

Colony management-
I think it would be cool if the player could post bounties on Lp/Pirate bases that are targeting your colonies- when you have tens of millions in credits, it often feels like I’m swatting annoying bugs, when I half to travel half a sector away to fight an orbital station that poses no threat  to my fleet. The player could post bounties for independent (or even aligned) bounty hunter/Defence fleets to go out and destroy the bases- the larger sum offered, the faster and more certain the destruction of the base.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 07:44:48 AM »

Future features:

In the “Diversifying the Factions” blogpost, changes to Sindria were outlined-specifically, adding (basically) a d-mod to their most elite patrols. I feel like this is not the way to go about it, lore-wise or gameplay-wise. Lore wise, it does not make too much sense for Philip Andrada to be competent enough to manage to secede from the Hegemony (after climbing to a high rank there, no less) but also dumb enough to make his own ships a lot worse. I feel like it would be better if the modified ships were changed to be better at certain strategies that the dictator feels like are the superior ones and made worse in other fields as the result. For example, perhaps Andrada holds the belief that a strong, quick, decisive strike is the key to victory – so the ships would be modified with +25% to fire rate for ballistic and energy weapons at a 25% penalty to flux generation – that way, the already flux-starved midline ships that Sindria deploys would become even more vulnerable, due to double dipping flux usage, but would provide an interesting, dangerous opponent. Gameplaywise, I, and I think many other players would be more interested in trying to acquire these kinds of ships, instead of worse midlines with built-in solar shielding.
This part was already addressed and Alex said he made some changes in-dev to make things a bit more interesting. And it's a bit harsh calling it a "d-mod" when it's much tamer than usual d-mods.
Please don't take me too seriously.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »

This might be me playing too much PAGSM, but I'm of the opinion that the ships should lean extremely far into flashy weaponry at the expense at baseline stats.

ClnCarp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »

Future features:

This part was already addressed and Alex said he made some changes in-dev to make things a bit more interesting. And it's a bit harsh calling it a "d-mod" when it's much tamer than usual d-mods.
Oh sorry, I didn't see that Alex already adressed it, I guess I should've been more thorough when searching for similar suggestions - was it on the forums/Twitter?
As for it being too harsh- well, Alex himself had refered to it multiple times as a d-mod in his blog post. I, of course don't know how severe it is, so I just followed suit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:59:59 AM by ClnCarp »

ClnCarp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »

This might be me playing too much PAGSM, but I'm of the opinion that the ships should lean extremely far into flashy weaponry at the expense at baseline stats.
I also feel like that would make sense - dictators very often buy in into these impractical "Wunderwaffe" projects that they can't economically produce, for propoganda purposes or whatever.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 09:11:43 AM »

Oh sorry, I didn't see that Alex already adressed it, I guess I should've been more thorough when searching for similar suggestions - was it on the forums/Twitter?
Ehh it was somewhere in the blog post discussion thread posted here. Probably in the last few pages of it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »

I also feel like that would make sense - dictators very often buy in into these impractical "Wunderwaffe" projects that they can't economically produce, for propoganda purposes or whatever.

The issue with making the limitations purely logistical is that then these become toptier ships lategame, as the player character is an epic hero who instantly solves a lot of the logistical problems plaguing the sector. Of course, logistics can be made more painful to account for this, but a more blunt solution would probably be making the limitations flux based - straight up lowering capacity or replacing missiles entirely with energy slots.

ClnCarp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 12:45:13 PM »

The issue with making the limitations purely logistical is that then these become toptier ships lategame, as the player character is an epic hero who instantly solves a lot of the logistical problems plaguing the sector. Of course, logistics can be made more painful to account for this, but a more blunt solution would probably be making the limitations flux based - straight up lowering capacity or replacing missiles entirely with energy slots.
Nah, logistics in this game are way too simple for them to be a real downside, so I wasn't implying that that would be a valid alternative cost. I agree that just giving them a bunch of energy slots instead (or something among those lines) without the means to support them would be the more interesting solution.