Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shipboard bar  (Read 637 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Shipboard bar
« on: August 21, 2022, 07:15:58 AM »

Something I thought of while writing a mod quest, involving a conversation with a specific named officer.

Presumably at least one ship on a fleet has a decently large lounge for the crew to kick back and consume (limited amounts of) booze. So let the player show up from time to time and have a talk with the crew and officers. One or two of them might have interesting leads we can follow, like rumors of <treasure> at <location> or some family business they need help with. Or maybe we can just make small talk, like with the historian (or perhaps even better; supply some dynamic info about the Sector here). This would also let us relate to the crew as something more than a commodity.

For a bonus, have the illustration image change depending on the size of the fleet's crew complement.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shipboard bar
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 07:42:30 AM »

Spoiler
Something I thought of while writing a mod quest, involving a conversation with a specific named officer.

Presumably at least one ship on a fleet has a decently large lounge for the crew to kick back and consume (limited amounts of) booze. So let the player show up from time to time and have a talk with the crew and officers. One or two of them might have interesting leads we can follow, like rumors of <treasure> at <location> or some family business they need help with. Or maybe we can just make small talk, like with the historian (or perhaps even better; supply some dynamic info about the Sector here). This would also let us relate to the crew as something more than a commodity.

For a bonus, have the illustration image change depending on the size of the fleet's crew complement.
[close]
That sounds cool. You could take it even further by having individual relationship trackers for your officers, treating them similar to contacts but you can speak to them at any time.
TL;DR deez nuts

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 09:21:09 AM »

It wouldn't be too hard to cook up an ongoing quest where one of your liuetenants' parents were on a ship that was lost.  So they give you leads to investigate until you finally find the ship and the crewman performs the proper honors.

Even a fella chiming in, "My family is on Agreus, let's take that pirate bounty!" would add some flavor to the game when the objectives are so painfully generic

Europa Jupiter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 10:29:07 AM »

Oh! This sounds interesting and would like to see it in game in some form.

Also, You know what I think might be interesting and good? If sometimes, when we accept some contact-mission one of our officers could contact us and suggest alternative solution to the problem. For example - we are asked to drop package in one of locations without being detected. And then one of our officers contacts us and suggest insted selling said package to somebody else, who will be interested. Of course, following that alternative rout should provide different reward (what different reward? I don't know, different amount of money? A ship? Some amount of supplies/fuel/trading goods? Weapons for ships?). And depending on context of situation, negative consequences as well? Definietly though I would not like to see this happening every single mission I accept. I imagine this happening quite uncommonly.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 10:44:19 PM »

Yes please!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Rusty Edge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »

I hope the developers take a look at this.
You could incorporate this into story missions as well. And it would add a LOT of flavor to the decisions you make a an admiral.

>Recruiting officers out of your crew, you could actually have a roster of candidates. This way you could give your officer corp a more consistant flavor, favoring Sidrian and Hegemony portraits for a more disciplined fleet, Luddics or Pirates for a more ragtag outfit.

>Finding spies and informants, like when a faction sends a bounty hunting fleet after you. There is a chance if there being an agent in your crew betraying your location. Dealing with the agent could buy you some breathing room.

>How do your crewmates feel when you mandate gunnery implants? How do your officers feel when they recieve them?

>A lot of black market Dealing is sure to take a toll on the more sensitive members. Perhaps an officer starts making deals behind your back.

>What sorts of men and women volunteer for cerberus, vangaurd, or Shield shunt ship duty? And what about the ones forced into those positions?

>How does accelerated aging effect phase ship crews?

>What happens when 90% of your fleet's crew are recruited from Luddic path planets?

The potiental stories are endless, and most of the non-mission interactions could be triggered by simple variables like fleet composition and how many separate markets you have visited.