Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Domain era probes  (Read 2061 times)

Parrot5035

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Domain era probes
« on: August 20, 2022, 06:05:47 PM »

I have been consistently encountering domain probes with a message about internal density and structural changes. I was wondering if this is a result of the hyperspace signals sometimes sent from probes after you explore them. Do these changes reduce the loot you can get? Is it spoilers as to what or who is responsible for the changes?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Domain era probes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 07:04:16 PM »

Their defenders become stronger, if they have them.

TauCetiRedGuard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 08:23:52 PM »

Their defenders become stronger, if they have them.
What do mean by this, do the derelict fleets that guard probes and survey ships get bigger and use larger drones or do any derelict drones you have in your own fleet get stronger?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 12:50:45 AM »

It doesn't affect individual ships. It makes the minex drones guarding the probes and stuff bigger and better quality.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 12:42:17 AM »

I have been consistently encountering domain probes with a message about internal density and structural changes. I was wondering if this is a result of the hyperspace signals sometimes sent from probes after you explore them. Do these changes reduce the loot you can get? Is it spoilers as to what or who is responsible for the changes?
You've got it sort of correct. The hyperspace signals are distress signals warning other probes that someone's tearing them apart for scrap, so they start building more droneships to defend themselves. You get more loot overall; probe loot itself doesn't change, but since there's more drones to blow up you get more salvage from the fight.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:05:37 AM »

Right. The hyperspace pings is the hand-wave as to why you keep fighting stronger and stronger derelict threats. Although, I wonder how big these probes are because they can spawn some hefty fleets. Surely they don’t have that much Mass to give?

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 10:11:51 AM »

Right. The hyperspace pings is the hand-wave as to why you keep fighting stronger and stronger derelict threats. Although, I wonder how big these probes are because they can spawn some hefty fleets. Surely they don’t have that much Mass to give?

If you compare the size of your fleet to the probe, it’s bigger than most space stations.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 10:26:29 AM »

Scale is a bit tricky on the system map.

Space stations are the size of continents, unless we are all flying way way way above everything.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 01:12:45 PM »

Except looking at the probe itself, it’s clearly intended to appear as a megastructure.  Maybe a hollow one, but still, it’s big.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »

Space stations are the size of continents,
Entire continents that are constructed from harvested materials? A continent-sized artificial habitat with a power grid, life support systems, etc? To house only thousands or tens of thousands of people?

I'm imagining something the size of North America that is completely artificial and man-made, from man-harvested materials, but only houses 4-5 digits worth of people lol. I guess prior to The Collapse the population of space stations were in the millions?
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 07:43:39 PM »

A theoretical cubic space station the size of Australia (~3,000,000 square miles), assuming 12 feet per floor, would be something like 19 miles on each side. A 2500 mile cubic station (widest part of Australia) would be ginormous, trivially able to fit trillions of people.

I assume stations in Starsector top out around the size of Jangala station, which fits millions of people (still huge). Probes are smaller than that, but that is still big enough to fit a whole fleet inside and facilities to make more.