Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Founding a colony should require a Cryosleeper.  (Read 2438 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Founding a colony should require a Cryosleeper.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »

I really like the idea of factions having their own hoard of cryosleepers, which they can give to the player if they are especially chummy.

To flesh out the idea a bit more:

- Maybe let the player found stations cannot build industries. They allow storage, waystations and tech mining, kind of a "mid game" halfway point between colonies and just a salvage fleet
- To build a colony that supports industries, a cryosleeper is required.
- Cryosleepers can be obtained through exploration or through special quests major factions can offer when you reach Cooperative reputation level

The cool thing about obtaining a cryosleeper as a quest chain reward from a faction is that it offers an extra goody for building up reputation and siding with a faction, and offers more of a reason for diplomacy with the core factions instead of just glassing them all. Maybe if you're Tri-Tach you have to go hostile with the Hegemony and disrupt a major spaceport, or with the League you have to bring them a particularly rare colony item (like a synchrotron or nanoforge). If you're Hegemony maybe you have to "AI inspect" Culann, and attack their star fortress and raid an AI core. The possibilities are endless.

Came to say something almost identical.

I think setting up spaceports or orbital way stations around planets should be fairly easy. 500 crew, 200 supplies, 1000 metals consumed and 200 heavy machinery (needed but not consumed). These would require administrators as well but they don’t produce anything. Initially, all it would really do is give you storage and if you get into a fight with it nearby, it would be a Tier 0 station that could join you. However, you could add Waystations and Patrols to it and even upgrade it to a Tier 1 station if you wanted.

The main bump here would be that colonies require 10^4 to be considered one. Cryosleepers do more than transport crew, they also recruit necessary occupations for colony development. So while it might be possible to get 10,000 crew together, they’re not farmers, miners, infrastructure guys, etc. That’s my hand-wave as to why cryosleepers are necessary and why two Invictus can’t do the same thing.

But yeah, the space stations would serve as a mid-point while colonies would be more end game. I would like to be able to set up relays out to the fringes but full-blown colonies are too expensive to do that. 

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »

Another argument for this is approachability -
I've had no end of questions in #newcomer-academy from the Unofficial Discord and in /r/starsector from people who are struggling to defend colonies from hostilities or to make ends meet due to low accessibility.

Having an intermediate option to be able to learn about colony management without being so all-or-nothing would definitely help this.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »

Cryosleeper have to be mobile or more than half the sector can't be settled at all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 04:47:11 AM »

With current gameplay, it already takes too long to grow a colony from size 3 to 6, which takes about ten years, while player can reach the endgame/Ordos grinding in about five to six years.  If anything, cyrosleeper should mushroom a colony from size 3 to size 6 overnight.

I would not want cyrosleeper required for normal colonies.  It shuts out too much.  Less systems with a gate, maybe no hypershunt nearby (for those with a tap and willing to suffer cells).

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 06:44:36 AM »

I would not want cyrosleeper required for normal colonies.  It shuts out too much.  Less systems with a gate, maybe no hypershunt nearby (for those with a tap and willing to suffer cells).

Of course cyrosleepers would be mobile so after you find them you can send or tug them to a desired system and then you can colonize there. If colony number is limited then colonies could have a much larger impact which would be nice.
If there is more cyrosleepers and they are easier to find you can confortably colonize 2-3 systems and nobody needs more than that even now.
For storage repair and base of operations you would be able to create stations or outposts.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 05:42:13 AM »

No, you do not need to make the cryosleeper give the opportunity to establish a colony. Then the player will get ... two colonies? The cryosleeper performs its function as it should, except for one thing - it is extremely far from the inhabited worlds and it cannot be transported to the planet on which you want to establish a colony.

We need the ability to transport super-heavy space objects - a cryosleeper, a hypershunt, mirrors, arrays of sensors. For example, with a total number of fleet points of more than 500, it becomes possible to tow super-heavy space objects. With a huge penalty to fleet speed, with additional costs for supplies and fuel, but the result is worth it.

seig_ooga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 02:50:46 PM »

I like the idea of there being a filter to establishing and growing colonies, but i think it lies in what the game is already; the dangers of a planet and items to install in a colony to make it livable, so adding more hazards and item combos to overome the hazards. It would make exploration so much more interesting, plus its already touched on in the game with items that can, for example, heat up a planet so its not cold anymore(although currently, its pretty pointless). It would also make hazard rating more than just less growth and more expenses.

As far as space stations go, i dont see the point in building them if theyre just gonna be storage and a handicapped colony. I think the abandoned stations you can find are perfect for this, because, lets be real, building a space station and living there is way harder than colonizing a planet. I think space stations could have a more strategic use, like improving accessibility in your colonies by building them halfway to the core worlds, or, during wartime, sieging enemy systems by building a war base in them, but thats pretty pointless right now because Starsector isnt a 4x strategy game.
Pages: 1 [2]