Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: split skills for fun (piloted ship) and the rest into separate categories / etc.  (Read 2213 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Limiting everyone else so drastically, just for the sake of making personal skills better, makes no sense to me.
Field Repairs, Flux Regulations, other similar skills are not personal skills, but full fleet skills, or at least all combat ships for some.

P.S.  The point of the suggestion is not to make personal skills better, but to make the fleet skills simpler by removing redundancy (of DP pools in some fleet skills) when other mechanics like map size and deployment limits already serve as limits.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:06:17 AM by Megas »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't agree with OPs wording/reasoning but I do agree that having personal and fleet skills competing against one another creates some fundamental issues.

Namely, personal skills are more fun in some sense because they directly augment your piloting experience while fleet-wide skills more augment your ability to win combats but don't make a huge difference in your personal second-to-second experience. That creates some really annoying decisions where you have to choose between having more fun and being better at winning, which I think is not a good decision in a game. It's analogous to deciding between going into finance and being rich but hating your job, or going into poetry and doing what you love but having low standard of living. It's variety, but it's not good variety IMO.

That's not even getting into balance of the two against one another. Balancing things that have categorically different effects against one another is also just inherently much more difficult, and will likely result in many more balance issues.

I think having separate combat and fleet skills still creates interesting decisions. The decisions are just more of 'what kind of ships/strategies do I want to use and how can I pick skills to augment that' rather than 'do I want to have fun piloting a strong flagships with a weak fleet, or do I want to build an AFK farming fleet and go alt-tab into a youtube video'. Personally, I think that later is not an interesting decision, but I understand others might disagree.

I do bump max level to 17 so I can get a couple extra combat skills because the game is just more fun when your flagship is strong, but I think the fleet skills I would have to drop to get those skills at level 15 are more valuable overall.

I remember someone's suggestion about personal skills and fleets skills each having their own skillpoints instead of using the same skillpoints as it is right now.

Might have been me. But that was a long time ago: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11113.0

For what it’s worth while I don’t think the suggestion is bad I don’t think it’s terribly necessary now. The skill system has significantly changed, the number of levels is far lower, and skills no longer have scaling effect.

You could still separate skills but I feel like you would need to significantly change how skills work in order to make that work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]