Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion after 1 week of playing - summary of 20Hours gameplay  (Read 684 times)

Oro

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,
I bought the game like 1 week ago, played almost 3 hours x day , at normal difficulty.
before you guys start reading/answering i want do a lil premise :
i play games since 6yo , i played descent(eheh who remember?) , no man's sky , starvalor , drox 1 drox 2 , everspace 1 , everspace 2 and many other games of any sort , moba's , strategy , arpgs , soccer , FPS , even hentai ones , so this is an honest review of a old seasoned gamer , that loves games well done. and this is a game well done , but there are many "but".

we can start

1. getting rekt by every single (almost) other fleet is frustrating at early , I restarted the game/run many many times  , neither roguelikes or elden ring pwn you like this , and slows up the game so much
2. you can just sign with egemony and go afk , after 3 hours you have free money (??? is it intended??? feels like cheating , why don't create some early easy quests to create some early gameplay?)
3. i really love the game structure but the early game is some sort mix of boring wall text readings hoping on some lucky mission (that in 20ish hour i never had) mixed with frustration of getting rekt by other fleets
4. i think difficulty should scale alongside your lvl
5. i don't want to start the game with a big fleet. and i think this should not be intended and it's not cool at all. i want to start with a single ship a make my own way
6.i founded barely impossibile to do any bounty early game , i swear , i started like 45 new games i didn't had any affordable bounty for lvl 1.

just want to say , i struggled less on the first 20 hours of elden ring , and we all (might) know that elden ring is such unbalanced game.
so , at the end , I'm sure someone else already said those things. but that's the point. you know , i got a job , a gf , i'm studying to take some new papers , and still got some time to play , why would i play a game that force me to restart 45 times? why should i have time to search 12 years of post inside this forum ?

my experience of those 20 hours are so much "I believe it's a great game" + "is it such poor early game with bad randomized stars/mission/bounties?"

I also say , sorry about this , that going around hoping to find a fleet with less power , isn't much fun. why don't put in some quests for early game?

at this current state i still feels the will to play , but the 1st place is frustration.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion after 1 week of playing - summary of 20Hours gameplay
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 02:28:48 AM »

Ehhh not sure what to think about the comparisons with Elden ring, that's a completely different beast and the difficulty of each game is in vastly different areas. But you can take one thing from it, Elden ring and such AAA games are usually very straightforward, Starsector is opposite of this. It's an extremely niche game that demands learning about it before you start actually playing it. I'm not even sure if that's treatable without changing the game from ground up, the mechanics + sandbox nature are just a deadly combo.

So basically I'll ignore couple of your point since I believe that's just the nature of the game.

2. Yeah commissions really do need some extra stuff, let the faction give you missions. Not just "hey here's free money each month, also kill whatever you find we don't like". This could also help with the last sixth point about finding nice bounties. (btw contacts give you much better bounties, not sure if you're familiar with that system)

5. I actually commented on this in a suggestion of mine. Frigate starts are imo a bit on the weak side, you can barely do anything (as a fresh player), but then the tutorial vomits too many ships at you and you're already playing a different game. Managing your fleet, having destroyers, more logistic problems, etc.

I completely get the frustrations of newer players, hopefully the experience will be smoother once the game is fully released.

Btw welcome to the forum  ;D

P.S. This is just an observation, but you said you have played games since you were 6, reading that I thought this post was going to have flawless English writing skills. Again, not insulting anyone, I'm just so used to people playing games since early days having phenomenal English skills, usually better than some native speakers, so I was a bit surprised.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Oro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:44:35 AM »

the comparison between an triple A title , and an Indie game, was intentional (i compared only the early game difficulty experience)
usually when someone recommends a triple A game just because it's a triple A .... I lose faith in that person's advice.
i'm that type of gamer , and in my steam library there are plenty of EA/indie games.

I'm sure this game have enormous potential. and just wanted to share my thoughts on the "level design" (if we can call it like this... or maybe we can call it "System Design")

GL dev for everything

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:04:08 AM »

the comparison between an triple A title , and an Indie game, was intentional (i compared only the early game difficulty experience)
I get that, I was just pointing out how that early game difficulty comes from different things.

In Elden ring, most of the difficulty comes from learning the moveset and timing of your weapon along with encountering different enemies and then learning their moveset so you can dodge the attacks. Difficulty here is mostly mechanical, that is if you have good reflexes and played souls games before, it should be easy.

Starsector on the other hand requires much more learning of the actual game "tricks" and mechanics, and having general knowledge. So let's say you're good at piloting the same way you're good in Elden ring combat. You'll still have no idea which ships are good and which bad, what weapons are useful and which you need to look out for when fighting enemies, learning the campaign map and all of its abilities, figuring out sensor ranges and how to not get caught, balancing money and logistic parts of your fleet, and so on. What I'm saying is this is a hard game to "just pick up and play". You can immediately get the hang of piloting, but you will still need time to figure out everything else.

This is why most friends of mine quickly gave up on the game, they just didn't have enough free time to devote themselves to something like this.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Oro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 03:23:09 AM »

i already mastered "how to not get caught" skill at SSS+++ tier ahahahahah

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 08:17:04 AM »

Tutorial start should give you a salvagable hammerhead which will put you ahead of most earlygame bounties and activities, but...

The two walls of difficulty which I find unreasonable (and that might be the source of the issues posited here) are:

Default ship piloting does not rotate to mouse, which is easier to pick up, especially for small ships. Shift is the toggle, but mouse centered piloting should be the default with optout.
Map bounties and spysat deployment missions just don't work as starting missions (IMO they aren't appealing later in the game either). Galatia Academy missions are better starting missions despite not exactly being displayed as such(or being missable entirely.)

Oro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 08:22:00 AM »

Tutorial start should give you a salvagable hammerhead which will put you ahead of most earlygame bounties and activities, but...

The two walls of difficulty which I find unreasonable (and that might be the source of the issues posited here) are:

Default ship piloting does not rotate to mouse, which is easier to pick up, especially for small ships. Shift is the toggle, but mouse centered piloting should be the default with optout.
Map bounties and spysat deployment missions just don't work as starting missions (IMO they aren't appealing later in the game either). Galatia Academy missions are better starting missions despite not exactly being displayed as such(or being missable entirely.)
i did tutorial only on the first run ever. then i deleted the savegame because it was too easy in the start

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 02:51:21 AM »

Hello everyone,
I bought the game like 1 week ago, played almost 3 hours x day , at normal difficulty.
before you guys start reading/answering i want do a lil premise :
i play games since 6yo , i played descent(eheh who remember?) , no man's sky , starvalor , drox 1 drox 2 , everspace 1 , everspace 2 and many other games of any sort , moba's , strategy , arpgs , soccer , FPS , even hentai ones , so this is an honest review of a old seasoned gamer , that loves games well done. and this is a game well done , but there are many "but".

we can start

1. getting rekt by every single (almost) other fleet is frustrating at early , I restarted the game/run many many times  , neither roguelikes or elden ring pwn you like this , and slows up the game so much
2. you can just sign with egemony and go afk , after 3 hours you have free money (??? is it intended??? feels like cheating , why don't create some early easy quests to create some early gameplay?)
3. i really love the game structure but the early game is some sort mix of boring wall text readings hoping on some lucky mission (that in 20ish hour i never had) mixed with frustration of getting rekt by other fleets
4. i think difficulty should scale alongside your lvl
5. i don't want to start the game with a big fleet. and i think this should not be intended and it's not cool at all. i want to start with a single ship a make my own way
6.i founded barely impossibile to do any bounty early game , i swear , i started like 45 new games i didn't had any affordable bounty for lvl 1.

just want to say , i struggled less on the first 20 hours of elden ring , and we all (might) know that elden ring is such unbalanced game.
so , at the end , I'm sure someone else already said those things. but that's the point. you know , i got a job , a gf , i'm studying to take some new papers , and still got some time to play , why would i play a game that force me to restart 45 times? why should i have time to search 12 years of post inside this forum ?

my experience of those 20 hours are so much "I believe it's a great game" + "is it such poor early game with bad randomized stars/mission/bounties?"

I also say , sorry about this , that going around hoping to find a fleet with less power , isn't much fun. why don't put in some quests for early game?

at this current state i still feels the will to play , but the 1st place is frustration.

1. i never had this problem, you probably just have to learn more. do you make your own loadouts? you definitively should, experiment a bit in the simulation that can be accessed in the refit screen

2. not really, at the start you get a stiped from the galatia academy but after some tine that ends and then you'll have a harder time getting profit from doing nothing unless you have a comission and a super small fleet

4. i mean, some parts do scale (though i'm not sure if it's with level or fleet size), namely the regular bounties, but other stuff definitively shouldn't.

5. then.... pick a different start???? whenever you start a new campaign you can pick between several different start options so just take one of the small ones????

6. bounties are for a bit later on, you have to grow your fleet a bit. beat up some small pirate fleets around granir or do some other easy stuff to get money and grow your fleet

Oro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 05:09:56 AM »

i'm actually experimenting more start pathings.
actually pretty satisfied with this run.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 06:36:25 AM »

Bounties scale with the amount and difficulty of bounties you did. Level and fleet don't matter at all, ever. If you do the hardest bounties the game offers at the moment, it will start offering harder and harder ones. If you fleet wipe or request easier bounties from contacts, the difficulty goes back down. The game also always offers at least one super easy bounty in case you need to get back up.

Starter bounties are generally doable by the starting Wolf+Kite even on autopilot, as long as you pick frigate ones. If you try to do Enforcer or heavy armor Mule, then it gets tough for a new player. Although even the frigate start gives you 32k credits, which when spend on more combat ships make all early bounties doable.

Really, some people prefer games that require learning, and some don't. Can't please everyone.