Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?  (Read 6997 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »

I meant from combat. If you meant "scavenging from combat", too, then that's a Nex feature.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2022, 08:14:58 AM »

And you can spend them to use abilities.
- New campaign skill: Party mode (toggle): Your crew goes in a rampage state consuming every legal and illegal substance known to man, reducing the maximum CR of all your ships in fleet to 40% but reducing the maintenance costs and fuel usage by 75%.

EDIT: Casualties may occur each day, and increase depending on the maximum number of crew.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:16:34 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »

That would be something other than buying crew, at least!

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2022, 11:48:28 AM »

There's a separate thread for this topic but guess I'll respond here as well. I see no issue with the current way crew works, it's very abstracted but so is the rest of the game. "It's just a resource", so are supplies, which again don't really make sense.

The problem with crew is not that its "just a resource" its that its isn't. A resource is a thing that limits you in fundamental ways.

Fuel gives you an overall range in light years. Supplies give you a day duration reduced by fighting/flying in cornoa/salvaging ships. Crew gives you a fixed value reduced by fighting/flying in corona/salvaging ships

So what does crew give us? Nothing, it just doubles down on the things that supplies does except its a binary condition.

At this point crew isn't even a resource. Its a thing to forget about until oops you need more.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 11:56:47 AM »

As meta as a 60 x 100 + 4000 x 10 = 46k credits a month ship can be. For comparison, Conq costs 9k a month, Paragon 11k, Onslaught 11,5k.
Come on, you've been around the block a few times haven't you? An infinite resource such as credits is not a balancing factor whatsoever. Credit costs become meaningless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 12:21:21 PM »

But at that point, nothing matters anyway. Reaching infinite money with colonies makes everything irrelevant, and with the time it takes to get to that money generation, they themselves are hardly relevant for the majority of the run.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »

The problem with crew is not that its "just a resource" its that its isn't. A resource is a thing that limits you in fundamental ways.
Crew puts limits on how frequently you can recover your own ships, which perhaps you ignore on the basis you'd just reload the game anyway. It's more of a restriction than supplies, given that you're going to be recovering supplies after any hard fight you manage to win; salvage can easily be greater than what you need to bring your ships back to full repair, especially if you've invested in Industry.

Crew also puts limits on how quickly you can expand your fleet through salvage; you'll need to head back to the core systems in order to man your wrecks.

Crew also represents a significant proportion of your monthly costs, though I suppose Starsector doesn't actually need a crew resource to implement that.

agnar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »

Crew puts limits on how frequently you can recover your own ships, which perhaps you ignore on the basis you'd just reload the game anyway. It's more of a restriction than supplies, given that you're going to be recovering supplies after any hard fight you manage to win; salvage can easily be greater than what you need to bring your ships back to full repair, especially if you've invested in Industry.

Crew also puts limits on how quickly you can expand your fleet through salvage; you'll need to head back to the core systems in order to man your wrecks.

Crew also represents a significant proportion of your monthly costs, though I suppose Starsector doesn't actually need a crew resource to implement that.

This Could be solved easier than with a resource that has no other use than that.

Regarding the cost - every ship can select between skeleton Crew - Optimum - More than needed with certain impacts ( with appropriate costs)

regarding recovery after fights this could be solved with a general bar that decreases the longer you are away from a space station (as repairs in space without a spacestation should be somewhat limited)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 01:06:37 PM »

Crew puts limits on how frequently you can recover your own ships, which perhaps you ignore on the basis you'd just reload the game anyway.
You lose ships? More seriously, I often either don't loose hard enough to run out of crew, or I need to go back to the core worlds to get new ships anyway. I guess this is more relevant for industry characters.

Do you take all your weapons with you? Hoarding is necessary to obtain a selection wide enough to be viable. I have to go back to the core systems to outfit newly recovered ships anyway.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »

You lose ships?
Sometimes, yeah. I know I've got a bad habit of ragequitting given half a chance, so I don't reload over it unless I've done something stupid enough to lose most - or all - of my fleet.

Do you take all your weapons with you?
Early game? Yes.

And when the situation in question comes up, I've usually been roaming around hunting down Research Stations and weapons stashes, so I've got a pretty good assortment. Not perfect, usually, but more than enough to turn a wreck into something I'm willing to bring to a fight.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2022, 01:26:06 PM »

The simplest solution, given that the core function of the hullmod is just not that important anymore, might be to stop offering Blast Doors as a modular hullmod and instead make it a built-in on particularly old low-tech ships with unusually bad shields; the Onslaught, Enforcer, and Condor are obvious choices.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »

The simplest solution, given that the core function of the hullmod is just not that important anymore, might be to stop offering Blast Doors as a modular hullmod and instead make it a built-in on particularly old low-tech ships with unusually bad shields; the Onslaught, Enforcer, and Condor are obvious choices.
INVICTUS!

God just imagine that ship somehow blowing up in your fleet, yikes.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »

If anything, Blast Doors on the Invictus is going to be a must have because replacing thousands of crew will be non-trivial.

On the whole, Blast Doors does seem straight up inferior to Reinforced Bulkheads. I think a simple reduction in OP is enough. It’s secondary effect of reducing crew loss is sort of minor nowadays but I wouldn’t get rid of it either. If it also bumped up Armor a hair, I think it could be competitive with Reinforced Bulkheads.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »

If crew doesn't matter then reduction in crew casualties doesn't matter. It's as simple as that. There is an obvious narrative reason for why crew shouldn't be this disposable afterthought, a mere commodity. Starsector needs crew mechanics.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 05:43:05 PM »

If crew doesn't matter then reduction in crew casualties doesn't matter. It's as simple as that. There is an obvious narrative reason for why crew shouldn't be this disposable afterthought, a mere commodity. Starsector needs crew mechanics.
That sounds nice, but I would prefer a sterile game mechanic over an intrusive one that's based on a half-baked attempt at adding more gameplay. Hyperspace storms and slipstreams are tedious for exactly this reason.
TL;DR deez nuts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5