Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?  (Read 6899 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »

What if crew had an experience mechanic like marines do so there's an actual reason to want to keep them around?
That was actually mechanic a whole ago but was scrapped since it was a hassle. You eventually had to play ship tetris on fleet screen to min max CR on best ships. Not to mention another mechanic screwing over low tech ships.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 12:10:09 PM »

It was worse for high tech ships with their shorter combat readiness timers from my memory.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 12:57:15 PM »

I think it's fine to have more/less useful hullmods, as long as they're costed appropriately; now that crew experience isn't a thing, Blast Doors could probably stand to cost a little less and do a little more to reduce your casualties.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 03:32:10 PM »

3/5/8/15 OP?  Half the effect, half the cost?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »

Hmmm.

So I really don’t like how crew works at the moment. But crew experience also doesn’t work that well either.

The main problems is that crew is kind of a maintenance chore you do rather than a mechanic you interact with for the most part. With supplies and fuel you’re always interacting with them. They’re the primary means by which you determine how long you can fly.

But crew only pops up when you take big losses… in exactly the same situation supplies also pop up. As a result crew is actually pretty extraneous. It’s neither a long term supply or a resource it’s just “supplies but you forgot about it for a bit”.

Is there a better way to handle it? Maybe. But I am not sure what it is. At least in terms of a resource.

My initial thought is that you could do away with crew as a resource in total but have crew as an aspect of each ship. Just as you have a Hull and CR slider you would have a crew slider.

The crew slider would go down with combat damage in two portions. One would be losses, irrecoverable, and one would be wounded, long term ish recoverable. Once the crew slider was under the skeleton crew percentage CR would be limited because the ship was no longer sufficiently crewed.

In this method you could have ship crew experience again because there no longer is Jenga. Ships have their own crew and so their own experience bar and losing crew has the same effect on crew experience as it used to.

Going to a starbase would let you refresh your crew but as the cost of experience.

You could then make spare crew into pilots and marines. And it should be far easier to have pilots and marine experience

Sahqovum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 08:56:09 PM »

@Goumindong

Might be easier to just have Ship EXP as a sole stat instead and skip the slider. Taking hull damage at certain amounts will inflict an "Injured Crew"  temporary D-Mod (reduced max combat readiness?) that can be removed at a station or planet but will cost you Ship EXP if any (and credits of course).

Problem though would be "transferring" crew around in either method though. Currently you can mothball unnecessary ships to "move" the crew to ships that need them. You wouldn't be able to do that in your method or mine so if say your Invictus lost most of it's crew you'd be stuck with the penalties until you returned to "pick up" more. Also speaking of the Invictus it would removed some of the upkeep for a lot of ships.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »

It's going to be meta on Invictus at least.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2022, 02:04:59 AM »

As meta as a 60 x 100 + 4000 x 10 = 46k credits a month ship can be. For comparison, Conq costs 9k a month, Paragon 11k, Onslaught 11,5k.

Soda Savvy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2022, 07:10:49 AM »

Hmmm.

So I really don’t like how crew works at the moment. But crew experience also doesn’t work that well either.

The main problems is that crew is kind of a maintenance chore you do rather than a mechanic you interact with for the most part. With supplies and fuel you’re always interacting with them. They’re the primary means by which you determine how long you can fly.

But crew only pops up when you take big losses… in exactly the same situation supplies also pop up. As a result crew is actually pretty extraneous. It’s neither a long term supply or a resource it’s just “supplies but you forgot about it for a bit”.

Is there a better way to handle it? Maybe. But I am not sure what it is. At least in terms of a resource.

My initial thought is that you could do away with crew as a resource in total but have crew as an aspect of each ship. Just as you have a Hull and CR slider you would have a crew slider.

The crew slider would go down with combat damage in two portions. One would be losses, irrecoverable, and one would be wounded, long term ish recoverable. Once the crew slider was under the skeleton crew percentage CR would be limited because the ship was no longer sufficiently crewed.

In this method you could have ship crew experience again because there no longer is Jenga. Ships have their own crew and so their own experience bar and losing crew has the same effect on crew experience as it used to.

Going to a starbase would let you refresh your crew but as the cost of experience.

You could then make spare crew into pilots and marines. And it should be far easier to have pilots and marine experience

This, or something similar, would be the best option I'd think. Especially considering that when one thinks about it, the sector doesn't exactly have population to spare for some factions while they do in fact have ships to toss at the problem. Reduce how many people are needed for ships lorewise. Maybe redo fighters to actually be manually controlled drones, so experienced carriers do a bit better as their pilots have survived longer, etc.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2022, 07:21:47 AM »

There's a separate thread for this topic but guess I'll respond here as well. I see no issue with the current way crew works, it's very abstracted but so is the rest of the game. "It's just a resource", so are supplies, which again don't really make sense. Like what do supplies even do, feed the crew, nah there's food already. You maintain your ships with crew, ok sure but supplies is a weird name for it. Your ships get damages, use supplies (even though metals exist). CR recovery is also somehow tied with supplies. So basically they're the duct tape of the Persean sector.

Marines don't need Heavy armaments.

Having drugs or any sort of commodity in your fleet doesn't have any effect.

My point is, if you start to think about things logically, suddenly you can take apart the whole game. And let me remind the fine folks here that the game leans more on the arcade side than the sim side.

If Alex decides to do anything with the way crew works, I sincerely hope it's not something annoying and demanding.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2022, 07:49:29 AM »

This is exactly why I'm a fan of the "Better Deserved S-Mods" mod.
It makes me reconsider what hullmods to S mod rather then just the most common ones witch opens up so many more options.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2022, 08:04:30 AM »

it's very abstracted but so is the rest of the game.
The rest of the game isn't as boring.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2022, 08:06:30 AM »

it's very abstracted but so is the rest of the game.
The rest of the game isn't as boring.
How is buying supplies and fuel entertaining?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2022, 08:09:05 AM »

Supplies and fuel you can also scavenge or earn back from fighting (especially if smashing a supply fleet). And you can spend them to use abilities. And it's very rarely that you have "enough" supplies and fuel that you don't really interact with it until you buy your next ship, at least not until late game.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2022, 08:10:03 AM »

You can scavenge crew too!  :P
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5