Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?  (Read 6898 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?
« on: August 14, 2022, 04:33:43 AM »

I don't get the point of it, it's a strictly worse version of Reinforced Bulkheads that is also available from the start and is pretty much a trap for new players. They don't know how valuable the crew loss reduction is so it might seem at first it has a use. And on min max armour tank builds, you have a ton of better options. Either it needs a rework or straight up sent to the shadow realm.

Now that I think about it Recovery Shuttles are another weird hullmod that's basically a meme. Feels like a hullmod for the sake of having hullmods for fighters.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to get rid of Blast Doors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 04:56:45 AM »

Blast Doors and Recovery Shuttles won't be good, until preserving crew is good. That, on the other hand, has a slight issue that popped up with Starship Legends, in that low-tech can and will lose you crew, just by playing the way it's inteded.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 05:03:08 AM »

I agree that they aren't very useful, but disagree on getting rid of them.

You rarely lose many crew in a battle past force feeding talons into flak cannons, so it never really comes up. It probably should, especially when taking any kind of hull damage you should bleed crew like crazy.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 05:13:58 AM »

You rarely lose many crew in a battle past force feeding talons into flak cannons, so it never really comes up. It probably should, especially when taking any kind of hull damage you should bleed crew like crazy.
But like SCC said that's a dumb and annoying mechanic when playing ships that don't rely on shields. You're basically harsh punishing a certain group of ships (which already get screwed over by a lot) and the other side is pretty much unaffected. For what, a single hullmod getting more use... seems dumb.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 05:17:17 AM »

I only use Blast Doors on Shield Shunt builds where I have lots of extra OP to dump into hullmods, and want my armor and hull points as high as they will go. Other than that yeah, it's basically an inferior version of Reinforced Bulkheads.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 05:24:49 AM »

But like SCC said that's a dumb and annoying mechanic when playing ships that don't rely on shields. You're basically harsh punishing a certain group of ships (which already get screwed over by a lot) and the other side is pretty much unaffected. For what, a single hullmod getting more use... seems dumb.

It's no more dumb then any of the other upkeep mechanics. At that point you suggest you may as well do away with crew altogether if it is having no effect.

No I disagree with the notation of removing it.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 05:32:53 AM »

At that point you suggest you may as well do away with crew altogether if it is having no effect.
Correct! There is no difficulty in acquiring crew, in maintaining crew (through replenishment or just not losing them by playing non-low-tech), in getting rid of it, and it doesn't really impact the game outside of making your ships have less CR sometimes. Kinda like running out of supplies.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 05:48:34 AM »

could just make it a lot cheaper, then it would have a place here and there
Cabbage

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 06:28:25 AM »

Losing crew as an item type would not bother me. It might free up the personnel capacity mechanic for actually transporting people instead of this weird people-as-commodities thing we have now.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 07:55:06 AM »

Rather than getting rid of a hullmod I would advocate making it more unique or more powerful.

If it increased hull by a set amount per ship size for example, it could really be a boon for low-hull high tech frigates. If it was generally a higher amount, it could multiply better with Reinforced Bulkheads. There is no "hull tank metagame" as far as I'm aware of. Once the armor is gone, hull just about keeps you alive. Because it is so unviable to build for max hull, it would not hurt making these two hullmods work better synergistically.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 07:57:50 AM »

Rather than getting rid of a hullmod I would advocate making it more unique or more powerful.

If it increased hull by a set amount per ship size for example, it could really be a boon for low-hull high tech frigates. If it was generally a higher amount, it could multiply better with Reinforced Bulkheads. There is no "hull tank metagame" as far as I'm aware of. Once the armor is gone, hull just about keeps you alive. Because it is so unviable to build for max hull, it would not hurt making these two hullmods work better synergistically.
Good idea honestly.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »

If there is a way to make the two hullmods synergize together without making the result boring or too generally good, then I’d be all for it. I agree there’s potential for Blast Doors to be tweaked into a cornerstone for unconventional tanky builds. That said, the results should motivate players into greater risks; defensive tankiness gets boring really quickly.

Dumahaz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 11:11:34 AM »

What if blast doors had +hull and - 25% explosive damage? I think that would really fit the description / theme and make it more unique.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »

What if blast doors had +hull and - 25% explosive damage? I think that would really fit the description / theme and make it more unique.
I think we learned from previous experience that skills reducing weapon damage to that extent leads to annoying situations. Let alone HE damage nerfs on armour tanks.

keckles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 11:36:03 AM »

Part of the problem is definitely how crew are treated as an expendable resource. While I imagine that's true lore-wise to an extent, it doesn't feel right that it's so easy to replace crew on what should be technologically and mechanically complex vessels. What if crew had an experience mechanic like marines do so there's an actual reason to want to keep them around?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5