Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship-Gutting Faction Mods  (Read 964 times)

Vivaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship-Gutting Faction Mods
« on: August 09, 2022, 06:44:50 AM »

I love havin lotsa different distinct factions dukeing it out in Nexerelin, but I like to keep the ships restrictedd to the vanilla catagories of low, mid, high, remnant... so while I love addin ship packs like Ship and Weapons Pack, High Tech Expansion, LowTech Armada, n Luddic Enhancement... I'm not superr crazy about the radicallyy diff ships (and weapons) added by the faction mods out there.

I'm still kinda new to muckin around with the diff files, so I was wonderin if someone had a general approach I could follow to either removin or blocking the appearance of shipss from faction mods while givin them access to the Vanilla/Vanilla-style ships. From wat I unnerstand... I'll want to be editing faction fleet compositions, faction ship/weapons marketplace... and I guess makinn sure the ships don't turn up as randomly spawned space hulks n blocking ship/weapon blueprint generation?

I'm juss not sure exactlyy what all the files are that I'm going to have to neuter and I've been doing a lot of... breaking mods, ahaaa...

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship-Gutting Faction Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 08:51:49 AM »

First - This should probably go in the modding forum.

To actually answer you, there isn't an easy way.  Some faction mods have only a few files, but most of them have lots of bits and pieces all of which assume all their ships will at the very least exist.   It's probably best not to outright -remove- the ship hull files because then the game is likely to just crash with a "can't find vjq_someHull.file" message, or something similar.  Instead you need to remove all the things that would spawn those ships in the game.

Places to start looking:
  • data/world/factions - this directory has the lists of which ships factions prefer to have in their lineup, as well as which blueprints they know.  You'll need to remove all references to non-vanilla ships in these for a start.  Many ship packs touch many different factions, too, and there's a default_ship_roles.json perhaps?
  • data/hulls/ship_data.csv - this file has all the actual stats for ship hulls... but it also specifies which blueprint packages ships appear in, and how rare they are.  You might want to remove them from all blueprint packages and set the rarity either to 0 (does this work?) or something very low, like 0.0000001, to make it so they don't show up in markets for sale.
  • data/campaign/special_items.csv - mostly lootable blueprints ought to be in here? Mostly?
  • data/config/ - so much config in here.  If you're using something like Nexerelin that autogenerates ships and fleets then goodness there's a lot of work to do to ask it not to for, basically, every ship added by a mod.  I couldn't even begin to work out which files do what but at least most of the Nex specific ones are in an exerelin named folder.  Of course, it might not be the only mod config you need to change...
  • data/campaign/sim_opponents.csv - not vital, but here's where things get added to the simulation opponents list.

I've almost certainly missed some places.

Vivaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Ship-Gutting Faction Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 09:35:55 AM »

First - This should probably go in the modding forum.

To actually answer you, there isn't an easy way.  Some faction mods have only a few files, but most of them have lots of bits and pieces all of which assume all their ships will at the very least exist.   It's probably best not to outright -remove- the ship hull files because then the game is likely to just crash with a "can't find vjq_someHull.file" message, or something similar.  Instead you need to remove all the things that would spawn those ships in the game.

Places to start looking:
  • data/world/factions - this directory has the lists of which ships factions prefer to have in their lineup, as well as which blueprints they know.  You'll need to remove all references to non-vanilla ships in these for a start.  Many ship packs touch many different factions, too, and there's a default_ship_roles.json perhaps?
  • data/hulls/ship_data.csv - this file has all the actual stats for ship hulls... but it also specifies which blueprint packages ships appear in, and how rare they are.  You might want to remove them from all blueprint packages and set the rarity either to 0 (does this work?) or something very low, like 0.0000001, to make it so they don't show up in markets for sale.
  • data/campaign/special_items.csv - mostly lootable blueprints ought to be in here? Mostly?
  • data/config/ - so much config in here.  If you're using something like Nexerelin that autogenerates ships and fleets then goodness there's a lot of work to do to ask it not to for, basically, every ship added by a mod.  I couldn't even begin to work out which files do what but at least most of the Nex specific ones are in an exerelin named folder.  Of course, it might not be the only mod config you need to change...
  • data/campaign/sim_opponents.csv - not vital, but here's where things get added to the simulation opponents list.

I've almost certainly missed some places.

Thank you so much for this! I unnerstand that this isnt exhaustive, but at least it givess me a place to start n now I have a idea of how much work+ it's gonna take to get faction mods where I want them to be xD So I know to reallyyy make sure I prioritize wat factions I muck around with.

Also - Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section! Is there a wayy I can move this thread somewhere more appropriate?