Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What is in your opinion the best mount type?  (Read 8566 times)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is in your opinion the best mount type?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2022, 05:35:26 PM »

I wasn't saying 1 large for 1 medium, I was saying 1 large for 2 mediums. The larges are just plain better, with a couple of tradeoffs here and there.
I didn't mean to say you were literally comparing them 1 to 1 but my words got a little muddled because I was also trying to answer the question of what we mean by "best."

I'm not looking at a ship with 1 large and 2 medium mounts and asking which ones I would prioritize, in that case I may favor the large on average. I think the more interesting question is how much of a ship's power budget is tied up in what mounts it gets and which mounts (not including multi-type) seem to be the most cost effective from that perspective. From that viewpoint large ballistics are easily the weakest out of all the large options while medium ballistics are arguably the strongest medium option. I'd guess the reason people put down large ballistics is because the gap here is much smaller than the gap for energies.

I know some people will argue that medium missiles are better than larges in the same vein, but I reject that conclusion. Just look to the legion: it's not just that 5 medium ballistics beat 2 larges, it's also that 2 large missiles beat 5 mediums.
TL;DR deez nuts

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2022, 07:00:52 PM »

mounts of different sizes and different types all have their applications, and should be treated equally, except some really dumb small energy slots that are supposed to be a ship's primary batteries. Small energy main battery weapons just deal really stupid dmg with unreasonable flux costs at a terribly short range
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2022, 08:19:46 PM »

I didn't mean to say you were literally comparing them 1 to 1 but my words got a little muddled because I was also trying to answer the question of what we mean by "best."

I'm not looking at a ship with 1 large and 2 medium mounts and asking which ones I would prioritize, in that case I may favor the large on average. I think the more interesting question is how much of a ship's power budget is tied up in what mounts it gets and which mounts (not including multi-type) seem to be the most cost effective from that perspective. From that viewpoint large ballistics are easily the weakest out of all the large options while medium ballistics are arguably the strongest medium option. I'd guess the reason people put down large ballistics is because the gap here is much smaller than the gap for energies.

I know some people will argue that medium missiles are better than larges in the same vein, but I reject that conclusion. Just look to the legion: it's not just that 5 medium ballistics beat 2 larges, it's also that 2 large missiles beat 5 mediums.

I'm sorry, could you try stating this again? I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2022, 01:06:13 AM »

For the different large HE weapons (Devastator, Hephaestus, Hellbore, and HIL), damage/flux efficiency really just depends on the base DPS/flux and the hit strength. Hephaestus, Hellbore, and HIL all have 1-to-1 DPS/flux ratio (i.e. their damage per second equals their flux per second), so it just comes down to their hit strength. Hellbore's hit strength is highest so from a damage/flux efficiency point of view it'll always be more efficient. This does assume that it always hits though, when it has the slowest projectile out of all of them.

However, the Hellbore's DPS is the lowest of all of them. So then it's a matter of whether or not the weapon's higher hit strength can win out relative to its lower DPS. As already noted, HIL does more DPS than Hellbore when armor is less than 1500, and Hellbore does more DPS when armor is above 1500. So if the target's armor is less than 1500, then HIL has higher DPS. The remaining issue is at what value of armor, if any, somewhere above 1500, whereby the Hellbore's higher DPS vs higher armor values will outweigh the HIL's higher DPS when armor is below 1500, such that the Hellbore's total time to strip armor is less than the HIL's.

The problem with that is the assumption that the Hellbore will hit the exact same spot multiple times, when it's a slow projectile so the target will likely have moved. The other problem with this comparison is that the Hellbore's projectile, because it's slow (500 su/s), takes time to reach its target. while the HIL is for all intents and purposes more or less instantaneous (technically, 2400 su/s, but which I'll just assume is instantaneous here).

So let me frame it another way. Let's count up at what armor will it take for the Hellbore to fully strip the armor in X shots, and then see how long it takes for HIL to strip that amount of armor. Note that stripping armor includes stripping away the outer armor as well (so the inner/outer armor cell mechanic applies here), so the ship is taking hull damage at this point, but we'll ignore the hull damage.

So the table for the number of Hellbore shots, the armor that's needed to exactly (within 0.01 armor anyway) match that number of shots in armor damage taken, and how long it takes HIL to strip that much armor (measured in 0.1 second time intervals), is:

Code
#Shots	Armor	HIL Time
1 549.04 1.6
2 1050.77 3.7
3 1488.49 6.2
4 1877.69 8.8
5 2247.29 11.7
6 2585.16 14.7
7 2897.62 17.7
8 3199.49 20.8
9 3488.65 23.7
10 3754.90 26.4
11 4014.51 29.1
12 4267.87 31.8

Here's what the numbers mean. Say it takes 1 Hellbore shot to exactly strip armor. This happens when the base armor is at around 549.04. (This is due to the inner/outer armor cell mechanic.) HIL would strip that armor in 1.6 seconds. The Hellbore projectile travels at 500 su/s. So if the target were less than 800 su away, then the Hellbore would hit it and do the armor damage before HIL finishes stripping the armor. But if the target were more than 800 su away, then the HIL would win -- it would have finished stripping the armor before the Hellbore's projectile arrives. (If we consider the HIL's travel speed of 2400 su/s, then this equivalence distance is actually 1011 su.)

If it takes 2 Hellbore shots, it takes HIL 3.7 seconds. Hellbore's refire delay is 3 seconds. So the remainder is that 0.7 seconds for how long the second shot has to hit the target. So if the target were less than 350 su away, then Hellbore wins. If the target were more than 350 su away, then HIL wins.

If it takes 3 Hellbore shots, it takes HIL 6.2 seconds. So the remainder is 0.2 seconds. That means a range of less than 100 for Hellbore to win. Otherwise, HIL wins.

For 4 or more shots, HIL always wins. Also, it might seem counterintuitive, but HIL's lower hit strength means that at armor values of more than 2833.33, it is doing its minimum damage (shots always do at least 15% of their damage to armor, ignoring skills), so its DPS is as low as it can be. But since Hellbore's hit strength is so high, its DPS against higher armor continues to decrease as the armor increases. Hence HIL actually starts outpacing Hellbore at higher armor values. (Notice how HIL time increases by 3 seconds each midway through, matching Hellbore's 3 second refire delay, but HIL time actually gets faster at higher armor values, because it does constant damage while Hellbore's damage keeps decreasing.)

In short, HIL will always beat out Hellbore in terms of how quickly it strips armor, except in the case of low armor values *and* when the target is close by (and thus the fact that all of the Hellbore's damage is done right away on impact, while HIL's damage is over time, makes the difference).

As noted already though, this assumes that they can hit the exact same spot all the time. That's not particularly realistic. Also, even though HIL might beat out Hellbore in terms of how quickly it strips armor, it uses twice the flux to do so. So this matches the general gameplay design that ballistic weapons are usually more flux efficient for their specialized damage type than energy weapons. So it's not necessarily better when you consider flux usage. This analysis also excludes the possible effect of skills for both the attacker and the target.

Attached are graphs of the DPS vs armor for Devastator, HIL, Hephaestus, and Hellbore, as well as the total time it takes to fully strip armor (both inner and outer cells) for them. For the latter, it assumes continuous damage, so it doesn't take into account discrete projectile damage i.e. that Hellbore's damage is done instantaneously at the beginning when each projectile hits. Hephaestus takes the longest out of all of them, while HIL is generally fastest. Note that it assumes all shots hit the same place (when shots have a spread and the target is likely moving, so that almost never occurs in practice), and that for Devastator, that every shot hits (when some of its shots won't reach maximum range and thus some of its shots won't actually hit the target, thereby decreasing the DPS).

-----

Returning to the original topic, I was hoping for a tier list. Oh well. Generally speaking though I'm finding large missiles to be the best slot, because of Squalls; they generally do more damage throughout the fight than anything else, and they soften up the enemy fleet really well. But my target is mostly [REDACTED] fleets, so it depends on what you're up against. Medium ballistics seem to have the best versatility, whether for SO or non-SO, although it lacks a good anti-armor/hull weapon for longer ranges, though the Heavy Mauler and Heavy Mortar work "well enough". Medium missiles are good for shorter fights, but they tend to run out in longer fights. Medium energy is good for the [REDACTED] frag weapon which is so good I savescum for it to maximize how many I get per playthrough, although it can be put on medium ballistic as well. (When I tried out SO Eagle with 3 HMG and 3 [REDACTED] frag weapons as the flagship, oh man that thing kills stuff really fast. The problem is even with SO it can't get from point A to point B fast enough to make use of all that firepower.)

But pilot skills can change this on the high end up to about 6000 (because the HIL is is now at the .1 cap and so we're going to where the hellbore hits .2) and on the low end to down to 1000 or 750 (depending on how the -25% armor damage interacts with hit strength [does it reduce damage after or before hit strength? If before then 750 is the minimum point and if after its 1000]) and whether or not the target has high flux armor reduction.

Impact Mitigation's -25% armor damage actually work by reducing incoming damage by 25%. This means that an incoming projectile that does 400 damage ends up counting as a 300-damage projectile. Thus it affects both hit strength and damage. This double-counting means that in practice it'll actually reduce armor damage taken by 35-40% compared to without the skill.

I'm sorry, could you try stating this again? I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here.

I believe it's along the lines of, looking at how much the player is going to prioritize one slot over another when equipping a ship. In more concrete terms, for example, how much OP are you willing to spend on each slot, and/or how much of the flux budget are you willing to dedicate to each slot. When comparing weapons I tend to look at overall damage per OP spent (including things like ITU, ballistic rangefinder, EMR, etc.) and overall damage per flux, where overall damage is the total damage done throughout the fight based on the Detailed Combat Results mod.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2022, 01:29:59 AM »

Returning to the original topic, I was hoping for a tier list. Oh well.
SCC did kind of tier them, but you know, what the hell one more tier list is good for the health.

And since lately I've been doing tier lists of almost everything, I'll try to explain the best I can my thought process behind the tiers. So in this case, I'm ranking mounts based on how much I will prioritize its weapons and am I building the whole loadout around it. For example let's say one ship has 2 of every single mount on it, ridiculous example but I just want to paint the picture. Of course this is inherently skewed since smaller mounts tend to have less impact.

Small ballistics: B
Would be higher if it had better HE options, it's either wet noodles or super slow inaccurate projectile.

Medium ballistics: A+
Like Vanshilar mentioned, another middle od the road HE gun would be nice but that barely impacts the score.

Large ballistics: B
They're not even that bad, it's just the smaller mounts having better options that need less skills and hullmods.

Small energy: D
I find them oversaturated since there are 4 PD options and only one is worth using (unless you min max every single PD bonus in the game). Actual guns are eh or way too niche.

Medium energy: C
Better situation than smalls but still lots of weapons that you won't use in 99% of the time. Heavy Blaster and Ion Pulsers are just two weapons and are basically all I use from this group (most of the time)

Large energy: A-
Solid options in general, but usually need a bit of support from different mounts.

Small missile: A-
Most impactful small mounts but very limited

Medium missile: A+
Highest spam potential in the game, just look how they enable a number of ships to be menacing.

Large missiles: A+
Last longer than mediums but usually need ECCM to be potent. Same score because they're less ridiculous imo but more limiting. Squall basically carries this group right now because of the end game shield tanks.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2022, 03:07:13 AM »

As already noted, HIL does more DPS than Hellbore when armor is less than 1500, and Hellbore does more DPS when armor is above 1500. So if the target's armor is less than 1500, then HIL has higher DPS

Skills bring this number down to about 600(and reduce recoil and increase shot speed)… you cannot just look at unskilled

Edit: moreover the claim was never that Hellbore was ore DPS just that it’s more efficient. The fact that it is actually more DPS when skilled and targets have significant armor actually serves to make it a far better weapon than it seems. And for 16 OP no less.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:11:28 AM by Goumindong »

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2022, 05:26:17 AM »

IMO L missiles are the best mounts by a pretty wide margin.
After them I like L ballistics and pretty close to those M ballistics.

About HIL: keep in mind it spends quite a bit of time off target as a combination of beam extension speed/turnrate.
It's a really, really good weapon, but any comparison to hellbore is really inaccurate by nature and split second play-by-play is pointless.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:12:47 AM by Draba »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »

Maybe I shouldn't have started this HIL discussion. It's pretty obvious how Prometheus Mk II is the fan favourite ship, though, since we spent so much time talking about the only ship in the game that can make that Hellbore vs HIL choice.
So something is clearly going wrong in your calculation. I suspect that you gave the HIL 1,000 armor pen. It does not have 1,000 armor pen, it has 500 armor pen.
Yeah, my bad. Ironically, I didn't notice it, because it felt right to me. It always took less time than most other weapons to strip the armour, or at least when I looked.

As already noted, HIL does more DPS than Hellbore when armor is less than 1500, and Hellbore does more DPS when armor is above 1500. So if the target's armor is less than 1500, then HIL has higher DPS

Skills bring this number down to about 600(and reduce recoil and increase shot speed)… you cannot just look at unskilled
Well yeah, but then you have way more modifiers to take care of (changed projectile speed, accuracy, damage, hit strength, armour damage received, bonuses to armour), and there's only so much time before you get bored of spreadsheets.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2022, 03:00:56 PM »

Returning to the original topic, I was hoping for a tier list. Oh well.
SCC did kind of tier them, but you know, what the hell one more tier list is good for the health.

And since lately I've been doing tier lists of almost everything, I'll try to explain the best I can my thought process behind the tiers. So in this case, I'm ranking mounts based on how much I will prioritize its weapons and am I building the whole loadout around it. For example let's say one ship has 2 of every single mount on it, ridiculous example but I just want to paint the picture. Of course this is inherently skewed since smaller mounts tend to have less impact.

Small ballistics: B
Would be higher if it had better HE options, it's either wet noodles or super slow inaccurate projectile.

Medium ballistics: A+
Like Vanshilar mentioned, another middle od the road HE gun would be nice but that barely impacts the score.

Large ballistics: B
They're not even that bad, it's just the smaller mounts having better options that need less skills and hullmods.

Small energy: D
I find them oversaturated since there are 4 PD options and only one is worth using (unless you min max every single PD bonus in the game). Actual guns are eh or way too niche.

Medium energy: C
Better situation than smalls but still lots of weapons that you won't use in 99% of the time. Heavy Blaster and Ion Pulsers are just two weapons and are basically all I use from this group (most of the time)

Large energy: A-
Solid options in general, but usually need a bit of support from different mounts.

Small missile: A-
Most impactful small mounts but very limited

Medium missile: A+
Highest spam potential in the game, just look how they enable a number of ships to be menacing.

Large missiles: A+
Last longer than mediums but usually need ECCM to be potent. Same score because they're less ridiculous imo but more limiting. Squall basically carries this group right now because of the end game shield tanks.

Generally agree with this.

I think I'd bump Medium Energy to a B- because I don't think Pulse Lasers and Phase Lances are bad. Small Ballistics are almost exclusively Kinetics on anything larger than a Frigate. The only time I use LAGs are on Frigates, though don't sleep on Light Mortars: they're so cheap that you can you saturate a ship (and a target) with them.

I'm with Thaago regarding Large Ballistics: overall they're better than any Medium counterpart. With all the complaints about the HAG, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a Heavy Mauler-esque fire rate: burst of 4 (over 1 second) at 240 damage each, 1 second between bursts. Same flux/DPS as current. It'd be slightly more accurate because recoil would decay a little between bursts and each shot would be individually stronger.

Large Energy is among my favorite and each option is good for what it does. I'll agree Small Energy is the weakest mount type right now.

I'm not quite as high on Missiles as some of you, though I admit they're very powerful. Large Missiles, for example, I'd place about on par with Large Energy, not leagues above. Solid "A" but not A+ for me, mostly because I don't value missiles quite as high in my builds. Maybe I'm the weird one.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2022, 03:47:48 PM »

Well yeah, but then you have way more modifiers to take care of (changed projectile speed, accuracy, damage, hit strength, armour damage received, bonuses to armour), and there's only so much time before you get bored of spreadsheets.

I would normally not think about it but the swing in DPS breakeven point when so hard when skills (especially enemy armor tanking skills went into effect) that its worth mentioning.

Like the DPS breakpoint is low enough that a hellbore could conceivably do more armor DPS versus a cruiser.

Hellbore also eats projectiles on the way to the target though you don't shoot enough of them to matter like you do with Plasma Cannons.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »

Sleeping on Hammers. Yeah, they've got the smallest ammo pool - but in return you get 1200 HE dps from a single slot flux free. They don't need skills or hullmods to be good either, whereas the other large missiles benefit hugely from them, hammers still disproportionately benefit - having 60 hammers is incredible, and you get !!2,400!!dps out of a single slot.

This is versus the Typhoon reaper's 533 base dps (with admittedly enormous ammo reserve, it taking slightly less than two and a half minutes to empty with the firing button held down, and ability to generally completely strip the armor of anything in a single connecting hit), with emr and skills, having 1066 DPS is pretty nice, but it's a case of shooting yourself in the foot to get this since it's extremely unrealistic for a single ship to actually get seven and a half minutes of use out of it.

Edit: In fact, I'd argue that hammers are the singularly most powerful weapon available in vanilla SS while the ammo lasts - what I wouldn't give to be able to pay more OP for more ammo on them...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:04:25 PM by Ishman »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2022, 06:19:03 PM »

The best mount types are universals unless I want to use Ballistic Rangefinder.

For kinetics in ballistics, if I use range boosters, I prefer smaller kinetics (LAC/Railgun/Needler) for assault role.  Medium mounts are good for HMG, flak, Mauler, or smaller kinetics.  (Heavy Needler is good for Paragon or Ziggurat, to combine with large beam weapons.)  Large is good for HE.  Occasional Mark IX or Gauss when appropriate.

For smaller energy weapons, I favor IR PL, Ion Cannon, Ion Pulser, Heavy Blaster, and both burst PDs.  Large energy is a large spike from medium, and all of them are good, except maybe Paladin.

Bigger is better for missiles, especially for endurance.  Medium is annoying when I want a good homing option that is not Harpoons.  If only AI was more competent with Breach use.

If Omega weapons are available, then missiles (or universals) become the best, and energy becomes better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:13:57 AM by Megas »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »

Paladin is also really really good, it's just that vanilla has 5 ships with large energy turrets, and only 2 of them can afford to spend some on PD.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2022, 06:13:37 AM »

I tried Paladin.  (I usually use Paladin on Radiant.  Two on non-missile loadout, one on double missile loadout.)  It is underpowered for assault.  (I kind of wonder if the direct damage is ignored and the only damage done is from the frag explosion.)  It is okay if it is the only PD on the ship.  I had Paladin drain multiple charges to take out some of the hardened targets.

If I have PD boosts, I prefer multiple small/medium burst PDs.  At least they have some anti-armor.  Paladin is for no-boost, out-of-the-box use.  Flak (or HMGs on those with IPDAI) on ballistic ships are better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:21:10 AM by Megas »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:10 AM »

I ran out of weapons so I put a paladin on a sunder.

It's...... not totally aweful so long as it has ammo.  ;D
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7