Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any good guide videos?  (Read 1098 times)

InspectorBoat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Any good guide videos?
« on: August 04, 2022, 07:59:51 PM »

Looking for combat guides, in particular - not just piloting, but fleet/weapon composition and battle tactics as well. I've looked around a bit but all the ones on YT are ridiculously long, poorly organized, and have poor audio quality. I usually prefer text guides (and those are still welcome) but this kind of stuff is a bit difficult to pick up on without actually seeing it.

va gamer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Any good guide videos?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:12:55 PM »

I found grumpythumpergaming had some useful videos under the How to Starsector playlist. I learned quite a bit about combat and ship mechanics.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 08:49:22 PM »

There's definitely slim pickings when it comes to strategic guides on starsector, it'd be nice to have something short and concise that gives you a handle on the basics. Maybe I'll make one myself but I'm not exactly a veteran so I'm curious what more experienced players would consider "the basics" for things like fleet composition.
TL;DR deez nuts

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »

I actually thought of making such guides but the thing with such thing is, it's almost impossible to make a video guide without suggesting a particular playstyle. For example I know Grumpythumper loves his SO ships and micro manages his fleet a lot, on the other hand I'm heavily against both of those, especially for new folks. And the nature of such things pretty much demands a longer video so the creator can explain his thought process.

I know you said it's not as easy as in video form, but there's a ton of useful text materials for such things. These questions get asked pretty often on both the subreddit and the discord, the forum here as well but it's kinda hard to search up things here. I feel like textual guides are higher quality currently.

This one is pretty good for weapon composition https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19611.0

You can tell there's a ton of things to mention so imagine something like this in video form, it would last hours, and would be pretty annoying to search up specific parts.
Please don't take me too seriously.

InspectorBoat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 12:46:37 AM »

I actually thought of making such guides but the thing with such thing is, it's almost impossible to make a video guide without suggesting a particular playstyle. For example I know Grumpythumper loves his SO ships and micro manages his fleet a lot, on the other hand I'm heavily against both of those, especially for new folks. And the nature of such things pretty much demands a longer video so the creator can explain his thought process.

I know you said it's not as easy as in video form, but there's a ton of useful text materials for such things. These questions get asked pretty often on both the subreddit and the discord, the forum here as well but it's kinda hard to search up things here. I feel like textual guides are higher quality currently.

This one is pretty good for weapon composition https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19611.0

You can tell there's a ton of things to mention so imagine something like this in video form, it would last hours, and would be pretty annoying to search up specific parts.
Wow, 41 pages! I do love me some mega guides. Thanks, this is really helpful.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:49:31 AM »

There's so many viable options it's kind of overwhelming, especially taking (even well-balanced!) mods into account.

The various Tournaments (PvP and AI) are worth looking through if you're playing a faction. See what people abused, see what doctrines they adopted, see how different ships played off each other.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 07:11:53 AM »

Tbf as you said, tournaments are mostly about abuse, trying to maximize power out of each ship in a balanced settings. Very different from campaign fights. You can still learn something from watching them but imo they're purely a fun thing. Not to mention 90% of tournaments are outdated, and the strats that worked too well were nerfed.
Please don't take me too seriously.

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 07:33:26 AM »

Tbf as you said, tournaments are mostly about abuse, trying to maximize power out of each ship in a balanced settings. Very different from campaign fights. You can still learn something from watching them but imo they're purely a fun thing. Not to mention 90% of tournaments are outdated, and the strats that worked too well were nerfed.

One tactic still remains, out number the AI so it get stuck on target switching.. Yes the drone tactic got hit, but missile spam with lots of ships still works to some degree.
truth be told, fixing that will never happen, its how AIs work.

Volley tactic also work sorta, but harder with the way commands work, ships hardly ever listen :D

as to the OP
Search yt for videos, be sceptic and play the game, i have restarted way over 100 times in the 1-2 month i have been playing this game. It takes time, its just the nature of these kind of games.
Though i wouldnt call it 2004/5 eve online learning curve.. auch :D

stick with it, and gl o/

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »

Limit testing "abuse" stuff helps build a baseline.
- Gimmick fleet videos like "High Tech Best Tech" or "Saturated Ordnance" show fleet compositions that are better than the sum of their parts. Same for anything involving Monitors, though, meh, Monitors.
- Gimmick flagship videos like "VERY fast Conquest travelling at incredibly hihg speed" or any of the Shade/Harbinger/Doom/Gryphon/Excelsior videos soloing the sector show ships that scale extremely well with player skills.

You probably won't run into the same exact conditions in your games, but spotting flagship-bait ship designs and thinking how to abuse what you've got to not go broke will be useful.

InspectorBoat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »

"VERY fast Conquest travelling at incredibly hihg speed"
What the hell?...