Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do any damage bonuses affect EMP damage?  (Read 1285 times)

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
Do any damage bonuses affect EMP damage?
« on: August 06, 2022, 11:13:31 PM »

Certain weapons such as the ion cannon deal two types of damage. Normal damage that kills stuff and EMP damage that temporarily disables ship systems. Are there any damage bonuses that would affect the EMP damage of such weapons?

For example, the skill Energy Weapon Mastery and the ship system Targeting Feed. If I build a ship equipped with ion cannons and give it an officer who has EWM would that increase the EMP damage of the ion cannons along with the normal damage? If I equip a Heron with Claw fighters will their EMP damage be increased when the Heron uses Targeting Feed?

My question isn't just limited to those two things, I'd like to know if there is *any* way to boost EMP damage on ship weapons and fighter wings. Or perhaps some way to lengthen the disabling effect? Some way to buff it.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do any damage bonuses affect EMP damage?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 11:44:22 PM »

This doesn't work for fighter wings, but for ship weapons the elite bonus of target analysis basically adds +100% emp damage.
TL;DR deez nuts

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:33:47 AM »

That's a different mechanic though. Damaging weapons/engines produces the same temporary disabling effect of an EMP attack but it's accomplished through normal damage. I'm talking about some kind of bonus that would, for example, take the ion cannon's 400 EMP damage and turn it into 600. Something like that.

The main reason I'm asking is to find out if there's any point to taking Claw fighters on a Heron, but the general question about the bonuses or lack thereof for EMP weapons in general is also worth asking.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 12:43:58 AM »

I'm pretty sure (like 90%) that EMP damage gets boosted by any damaging skills, so your Heron with Claws should in theory do more EMP damage. Because my logic is EMP is the same thing as normal damage, all bonuses and penalties apply, but it's the type of damage that only affects weapons and engines, doesn't do "real" damage. I'd be very surprised if I turn out to be wrong on this.
Please don't take me too seriously.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:58:08 AM »

That's a different mechanic though. Damaging weapons/engines produces the same temporary disabling effect of an EMP attack but it's accomplished through normal damage. I'm talking about some kind of bonus that would, for example, take the ion cannon's 400 EMP damage and turn it into 600. Something like that.
Well, yes and no. You've got the framing backwards: it's not that regular weapons mimic EMP, it's that EMP as a damage type goes directly to weapons and engines. It all uses the same mechanism with the difference being EMP damage hurts weapons/engines through armour while regular damage does not. This is why I recommended elite target analysis, but for herons it should also work unless there's some rule that negates the system boost specifically for EMP damage.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 12:59:46 AM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 05:23:12 AM »

Here's a slightly more iffy question: Do damage bonuses affect EMP arcs from ship systems? I'm guessing for weapon range, it's going to be a no.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 06:09:07 AM »

Here's a slightly more iffy question: Do damage bonuses affect EMP arcs from ship systems? I'm guessing for weapon range, it's going to be a no.
Those are probably fixed since they're scripted by the ship system.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »

I'm not very sure about how EMP dmg works, but I'm pretty sure that skills boost your dmg against weapon mounts and engines will increase your EMP dmg done
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 09:00:39 AM »

When it comes to the range and damage of the Omen's system, I'm 90% sure that yes it is boosted in both range and damage by skills/hullmods! I'm certain its boosted in range by system expertise, and I believe I tested the elite Point Defense skill as well.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »

and I believe I tested the elite Point Defense skill as well.
Really? Pretty sure EMP emitter doesn't use weapons, not even fake ones. It would have to be specifically hardcoded to interact with the PD skill.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »

It was annoying to test so its possible I misremembered. The damage bonus from point defense does apply I'm sure though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 09:54:35 AM »

Just offhand without digging into it, I *think* the damage bonus from the PD skill would apply - since that's checked when the damage is being applied, based on the damage-source ship. I'd be surprised if the PD skill increased the EMP ship system's range, though (not impossible I suppose!), but it'd be unexpected for sure.