Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 3 years since the Sseth video  (Read 3719 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
3 years since the Sseth video
« on: August 01, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »

Hey hey people

God it's already been 3 years... Anyways just wanted to remember the day when the game blew up, site overloaded and people couldn't buy the game, glorious ***. I always wondered how would everything look like today if it weren't for Sseth. He basically made a trailer for the game, without being sponsored lol. It also meant a lot to me because my favourite indie game was extremely unknown back then, couldn't talk to anyone about it pretty much. Bless our warlord and his merchant guild.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 3 years since the Sseth video
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:25:31 PM »

My youtube videos were certainly blowing up in views afterwards. If I hadn't gotten proper employment I probably could have even made something out of it, but I never kept the momentum going.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 12:27:17 AM »

It's also not like the video's been a hit just for Starsector, it's been Sseth's second most viewed video right after the sides-busting SS13 one. I'd say it's a result of a valuable product in the hands of a seasoned merchant :3 A... mutually beneficial cooperation, so to speak.

As for me, I'm guilty of being a Ssoomer as well. Started following the warlord for his Deus Ex video, but the Starsector one was the first that ever got me to buy a game. I'd say Alex got exceptionally lucky with his approach, getting advertised by an exceptionally popular NSFW YT reviewer of obscure and outdated quality games is basically getting to ride a unicorn.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 12:54:02 AM »

It's quite amazing that Starsector video got so popular. I would say that it was made too early to maximise its potential, since it will take some years still to finish starsector, but it's not as if Alex had control over it in the first place.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 12:58:37 AM »

It's quite amazing that Starsector video got so popular. I would say that it was made too early to maximise its potential, since it will take some years still to finish starsector, but it's not as if Alex had control over it in the first place.
By the time 1.0 comes out, he's probably going to do a re-review of a finished game. He's done so in the past and it makes sense to do it for the second most popular vid of his.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 01:55:12 AM »

Normally niche e-celebs are pretty cringe outside their niche.

But uh. Sseth's shtick suits the Collapse.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 03:58:23 AM »

By the time 1.0 comes out, he's probably going to do a re-review of a finished game. He's done so in the past and it makes sense to do it for the second most popular vid of his.
Sseth re-reviewing the game when it hits 1.0 would be a surprise but a welcome one.

Xuerian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 11:29:30 AM »

Francis John's latest series exposed me to it, but it was blazeroth's pirate/salvage run that really hooked me.

Watched Sseth's video afterwords and enjoyed it quite a bit, obviously.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 11:28:54 AM »

As someone who bought the game because of Sseth's video I think it is funny and conveys a lot but overstates Vanilla's emphasis on developing a "living breathing world." There's a lot of scattered references throughout the video to various mods that make me baselessly speculate Sseth had trouble disconnecting the experience of a modded game to the base one, but I have nothing to support that

I am glad it exists though, otherwise I never would have heard about Starsector

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 11:45:07 AM »

Ha! I'd suspect most players have a tunnelling experience from the 4X mods that dramatically change how the game plays.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »

Ha! I'd suspect most players have a tunnelling experience from the 4X mods that dramatically change how the game plays.
Yeah, I'd say "That's a Nexerelin feature, not vanilla" is probably the most common correction when people suggest a course of action to someone playing vanilla lately.

Re: Seth, personally not a big fan of him. Gives me bad vibes tbh and was even less inclined to like him after hearing how he encouraged people to harass the "Caves of Qud" devs discord because he couldn't join a specific faction in that game.

So, on one hand its nice that Alex got a lot of imo deserved recognition from him, but otoh his fanbase has the whole incredibly trying to be edgy thing going on. I figure there's a reason the "You can capture enemy officers/crew and enslave or butcher them" mod wasn't a thing till after his review. Not to mention this whole blowback with the Diktat changes blog post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:19:17 PM by SapphireSage »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 04:14:32 PM »

Yeah, I'd say "That's a Nexerelin feature, not vanilla" is probably the most common correction when people suggest a course of action to someone playing vanilla lately.

Re: Seth, personally not a big fan of him. Gives me bad vibes tbh and was even less inclined to like him after hearing how he encouraged people to harass the "Caves of Qud" devs discord because he couldn't join a specific faction in that game.

So, on one hand its nice that Alex got a lot of imo deserved recognition from him, but otoh his fanbase has the whole incredibly trying to be edgy thing going on. I figure there's a reason the "You can capture enemy officers/crew and enslave or butcher them" mod wasn't a thing till after his review. Not to mention this whole blowback with the Diktat changes blog post.
Personally checked the video again and to me personally it sounds like pretty much a comment about the discord rather than any call to arms. Not sure what the diktat blowback as to do with sseth though.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 04:17:21 PM »

Re: Seth, personally not a big fan of him. Gives me bad vibes tbh...
To tl;dr: His Youtube persona is fake, also edgy "4chan/imageboard" humour especially in older videos. I like it, the older vids are even better imo.
... Not sure what the diktat blowback as to do with sseth though.
Yeah, wut?