Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Flag individual ships for receiving skill effects  (Read 696 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Flag individual ships for receiving skill effects
« on: August 01, 2022, 06:01:08 AM »

I think it might be more intuitive for some people and generally useful to all, if skill effects could be selectively applied or unapplied. Ideally it would let you choose which skills should apply to which ships as well.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
Re: Flag individual ships for receiving skill effects
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 01:02:02 PM »

as i understand your suggestion, i could uncheck militarized freighter from combat bonuses so they stop reducing the percentages?
Cabbage

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 01:49:54 PM »

This sounds like min/maxing to me. I like granularity but I don’t know if this adds anything more than a hidden system for less knowledgeable players to lose efficiency in. Phase ships, civilian ships, etc. are all operating under global fleet bonuses. I think these are set up the way they are for a reason. Imagine having a phase fleet and only giving the phase mastery bonus to a Doom flagship. I just don’t think that’s how it was designed to be.

If I’m understanding the suggestion correctly.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:30:19 AM »

I like granularity but I don’t know if this adds anything more than a hidden system for less knowledgeable players to lose efficiency in.
It would only be as hidden as Alex would make it to be. If it was an icon in the upper left corner of every ship slot, like all those buttons are at the bottom of it, it wouldn't be hard to spot.
Phase ships, civilian ships, etc. are all operating under global fleet bonuses. I think these are set up the way they are for a reason. Imagine having a phase fleet and only giving the phase mastery bonus to a Doom flagship. I just don’t think that’s how it was designed to be.
The phase skill is probably the only one that would bring any issues. I guess you could unselect Crew Training for officers with Combat Endurance and extra CR from industry's whatwasit? Otherwise, it would just allow players whether they would want all their ships to receive equal bonuses, or if they want to maintain an elite core and average reinforcements. And more importantly, it would show players that they aren't "punished" for having a large fleet, only that even fleetwide skills are finite in their scope.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:46:45 AM »

I gotta stand with FooF on this one, I think it would bring unnecessary complexity just to scratch an itch experienced players have. Not to mention an avenue for ambitious newbies to optimize the fun out of the game by looking up and going for optimal usage of these skills. The current system at least gives the player a leeway to pick which ships they want to field to use up the effect