Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you fight difficult battles ?  (Read 4537 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How do you fight difficult battles ?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2022, 09:45:02 AM »

How to tough it out against a superior force? There are several schools of thought. I tend to Defend a point, Sensor bonus ideally, where ships in my fleet are close enough to support each other and therefore get kills until the scales have evened. The player meanwhile applies pressure where it's ideal and puts out fires where he has to. Keep your team alive and eke out kills. I've done this often against Redacted and also overwhelming Hegemony fleets. Against a mass of phase ships I would probably open up more, try to separate the enemy fleet and pick off the most dangerous ones first - Harbingers and Dooms, then Astrals and other carriers. Unless you happen to have strong PD and fighters, in which case turtling may still work.

Also, build loadouts that play well in the long game and try to be flux-efficient. Use Hardened Subsystems on phase ships. Pick Annihilators over torpedos, maybe even Pulse Lasers over Heavy Blasters. Etc.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2022, 11:47:14 AM »

In (sort of) the spirit of the original post's question, does anyone mind posting their fleet comp vs Ordo's? I usually start encountering Radiants before I have a colony printing whatever ships I want, so I'm at the mercy of whatever I can find. I recently had a Conquest, Onslaught, and a few various cruisers get demolished by a Radiant and a bunch of brilliants. The only ship I've found that reliably holds the line vs Ordo's is the Paragon. I guess I could tailor specifically with solar shielding, etc..
Solar shielding does help a lot, you get 20% damage reduction from the most weapons for a very affordable price. If you put it on all your ships you can also surf hyperspace storms without worrying about the supply cost too much, which makes travel a little less tedious.

As far as comps go, a really simple one that works well is 10 omens + 10 apogees. In the leadership tree you grab:
  • Crew training (duh)
  • Wolfpack tactics
  • Coordinated maneuvers
  • Officer management
  • Support doctrine

Put all the officers into omens. The 20 ships use up 200 dp, leaving you with 40 dp for your flagship (or 50 if you deploy it with support doctrine then transfer into it after the battle starts). At the start of the battle hit C on all the capture points and the omen spam will bully any glimmers/lumens they send out giving you your full 240dp right off the bat.

For the apogees, just set them to search and destroy. They'll be fine. Probably.

If you're looking for specific ship builds, this is what I used:
Spoiler
[close]

Of course, pre-colony it's hard to get your hands on 10 apogees, although it's surprisingly easy to find omens in markets. Up until late game you are generally at the mercy of what you find or what shows up in markets often, but this skill setup should still work well with pretty much any combination of frigates + cruisers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:23:22 PM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

keckles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2022, 08:49:04 PM »

Solar shielding does help a lot, you get 20% damage reduction from the most weapons for a very affordable price. If you put it on all your ships you can also surf hyperspace storms without worrying about the supply cost too much, which makes travel a little less tedious.

Not only does it save you massively on supply costs from hyperspace travel, it also saves you from having to wait for several days outside a system for your ships to be brought back up to a usable CR level. For that alone I feel that solar shields are almost necessary at a certain point.
Pages: 1 2 [3]