Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converted capitals are actually nice to use now  (Read 904 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Converted capitals are actually nice to use now
« on: July 25, 2022, 12:23:32 AM »

Been so busy complaining and suggesting here that I forgot to talk about something that made me really happy. And that's both Prometheus and Atlas converted versions, that before made me stay far away due to the 6 burn speed. These are now actually decent early game capitals, if you really want to try something bigger, but you're not yet ready for true battleships. I know Atlas MkII. didn't change but I'm super glad Prometheus MKII. got buffed, as imo it has one of the most varied possible builds in the game, such a unique ship. That was my flagship for a long while, while Atlas had the role of a support artillery. Prometheus now feels like a proper poor man's battleship, you obviously feel the limitations of both the hull and OP budget but it's just right in that 30 DP zone (making Aurora obsolete once again hahahahaha). And usually I'll have max 2 capitals in my fleet, anything more than that feels too tight for 240 DP budget, but with these two I could comfortably run 3 capitals. They may be used only by the fodder factions, but I suggest that everyone should try them out at least once, they make for fun playstyles.

But I must say, one of the hardest fight in my last campaign was against a Path Holy Armada that I wasn't yet ready for. And they had maybe 3-4 Prometheuses all with lvl 6 officers. That really was a fight I didn't expect to push me to the outer limits.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Converted capitals are actually nice to use now
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:31:14 AM »

They would be decent early game capitals if they were easier to find. As it stands now, you can only get them from very large bounties/ambushes, or rarely buy from fringe bases. Common black markets don't sell Atlas, and pather planets don't sell Prometheus.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 01:47:23 AM »

Yea the only way to get them without a bunch of d-mods is to get lucky with a bar mission. I just salvaged those two and recovered them because I had a lot of money to spend (and it wasn't even that expensive).

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 02:02:06 AM »

Prometheus now feels like a proper poor man's battleship, you obviously feel the limitations of both the hull and OP budget
For your reference, Prometheus mk.II has 8 OP/DP. This is 23% better than Legion (6.5), 27% better than Odyssey (6.23), 30% better than Paragon (6.16), and 60% better than Astral (5, lol, lmao even).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:46 AM »

That's meaningless since you have to also look at mounts and base stats of a ship.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 02:25:28 AM »

You count base stats as part of the "OP budget"? There are major problems with the ship, but OP isn't one of them.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 04:26:10 AM »

Converted Atlas and Prometheus also benefit from the Bulk Transport skill.
If you have that, then you don't need to use the incredibly expensive Aug. Drive Field, or live with crawl speeds/tugs.