Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Various small UI suggestions  (Read 517 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Various small UI suggestions
« on: July 24, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »

These are the things I randomly remembered now and some that were suggested a while ago but I don't think they were planned to implement.

- The hard flux notch can be hard to see when you're in a hectic situation. I'm so used to the game and I still sometimes miss it in a pinch.
- Easier to tell status of ships in tactical view. Can be a bit annoying trying to click each ship to see if it needs help, and even then everything is the same colour that you mostly look at the position and not text.

I know there was something else but I forgot. Please suggest similar things if you think they can be improved, us veterans are so used to the game's systems that we forget how clunky the UI is for someone newer.

EDIT: Not what I forgot but some sound of effect when you deploy shields. I can't tell you how many times I tried to spam shields, or just clicked once, and sat there like a fool eating a torpedo. Some shields deploy super slow and it's very hard to tell in time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 12:02:07 PM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Re: Various small UI suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:46:11 PM »

adding two of my own things this -

can we get back the ability to target a ship while in a video feed from another ship? it's small but v useful, it disappeared between .95 and .95.1 for some reason.

and can newly-learned hullmod (and newly-learned bps in doctrine / custom production) category filters default to selected in the refit screen, another small thing but it confuses new players quite often, making them think that their bp / hullmod has just been eaten by the game.

ninja edit : not technically not a ui suggestion, but can toggle systems like burn drive have a minimum duration set in the csv, so that the system doesn't instantly get toggled if the player's mashing the button
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 12:51:29 PM by Ruddygreat »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:01:04 PM »

ninja edit : not technically not a ui suggestion, but can toggle systems like burn drive have a minimum duration set in the csv, so that the system doesn't instantly get toggled if the player's mashing the button
Yeah I think this was suggested once or twice, and it kinda goes with my suggestion for shields. Would be really great if there was a mini cooldown, accidentally cancelling Burn Drive is rough on slow ships.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:53:08 PM »

I'd like colony threats like Pirate raids, faction expeditions or inspection fleets to have a countdown to arrival / estimated arrival date on screen whenever they are active.
There's plenty of space under the date in the top-left to accomodate this.
It's such a chore to have keep constantly flicking in and out of intel to see how close important events are.

I've been burned by this many times. I've been trying to train myself to hold buttons instead of mashing them to avoid it.

some sound of effect when you deploy shields.
This already exists. And for turning them off again.
They're in \starsector-core\sounds\sfx_shields\
You'll probably recognise them once you hear them on thier own, and be like "oh, thats what that was..."

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 11:56:46 PM »

This already exists. And for turning them off again.
They're in \starsector-core\sounds\sfx_shields\
You'll probably recognise them once you hear them on thier own, and be like "oh, thats what that was..."
Yeah after I posted it, I vaguely remembered "hey maybe there is already such a thing". And honestly I feel like it gets overshadowed by all the other combat sounds. I play on headphones and barely notice it, then again I probably wouldn't like if it was too loud, as shield activation is a very frequent thing.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 01:25:15 PM »

I would like to be able to see target information even if I aren't currently deployed in a ship. I don't know why this was removed in the most recent version, but I disagree with the choice. Also when not deployed in a ship, if tabbing in and out of map view, to not have to show video feed (F) of one of my ships to not be have the view be blank space when exiting map view.