Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Is shield shunt a meme hullmod?  (Read 1615 times)

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is shield shunt a meme hullmod?
« on: July 24, 2022, 04:17:25 AM »

No matter if it's a vanilla ship or a modded one I can never find a ship where gimping your shields for a slight increase in armor (AND still costs OP) is ever remotely worth it.
maybe i haven't experimented with it enough but every time i try fighting [REDACTED] they just get melted.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is shield shunt a meme hullmod?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 04:48:51 AM »

It is best used on ships with high armor (which means low-tech) and good PD ability (able to mount sufficient flak or similar weapons).  Generally, Onslaught and Dominator.  Other cruisers and capitals can make decent use of it, but they are not as good.

Ships without shields need the following hullmods:
* Heavy Armor, for more armor.
* Armored Weapon Mounts, for tougher weapon mounts and more armor.
* Resistant Flux Conduits, for EMP resistance.
(Note:  Engines generally do not get shot at too much, so Insulated Engines can be skipped.)

They also need the following skills:
* Impact Mitigation, for less armor damage
* Polarized Armor, for less armor damage and more EMP resistance.

Ships without shields can survive endgame human bounties.  They generally die in Ordos fights, although they can survive longer than halfway through the fight.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 05:20:55 AM »

It can work good on onslaught, acceptable on dominator and legion
requires officers with skills, outside of that its terrible. The nerf that happened was because of shielded ships and polarized armor getting too tanky. Shunt as a mod itself needs a buff, is not really worth it in 99% cases.

I also fear the incoming DEMs might make ships with no shield suffer even harder.
Cabbage

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:33:23 AM »

No matter if it's a vanilla ship or a modded one I can never find a ship where gimping your shields for a slight increase in armor (AND still costs OP) is ever remotely worth it.
maybe i haven't experimented with it enough but every time i try fighting [REDACTED] they just get melted.

more or less yeah ngl
It's very fun to play around with, but it's not strictly viable / optimal all the time
though I will note that it heavily relies on impact mitigation & polarised armour, getting 25% extra armour that takes 25% less damage is amazing for survivability

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 05:47:48 AM »

i would like to try out shield shunt ships being able to slowly repair armor, upto say 25% of their maximum, that could make it interesting
as an addition to this i would like if elite combat endurance started hull regeneration as soon as hull gets damaged, but keep the total amount it can restore
combining those could be very interesting, although we would still have a hullmod that requires 2-3 other skills to make it valuable
Cabbage

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »

I found it usable on XIV enforcers with SO and reckless personality. You get a little over 1500 armour on a pretty expandable ship.
TL;DR deez nuts

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 09:27:28 AM »

I found it usable on XIV enforcers with SO and reckless personality. You get a little over 1500 armour on a pretty expandable ship.

I'm pretty sure you meant to type "expendable", but given that explosion is a form of very rapid expansion the current wording holds true.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure you meant to type "expendable", but given that explosion is a form of very rapid expansion the current wording holds true.
New game mechanic: the more hullmods you put on a ship, the bigger it gets.

This will be referred to as "expanding" by the community, thus making my typo retroactively correct.
TL;DR deez nuts

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »

New game mechanic: the more hullmods you put on a ship, the bigger it gets.

The new fleet meta will be to take a wide, bulky capital ship with a mobility system (such as Legion or Onslaught) and load it up with the highest quantity of hullmods possible. Then order it to charge directly into the bulk of the enemy fleet with burn drive activated, ramming and smashing apart as many of their ships as possible.

But regarding Shield Shunt: it's only useful on a ship with high armor and hull like the Dominator, as others have already said. The main reason to use it is to eliminate the flux costs of your shield and create a sort of "berserker" ship that can dedicate all of its flux to weapons.

Here's a fairly recent thread where another forum user explored the idea of using unlikely ships for a Shield Shunt build: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24703.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 02:24:05 PM by Kos135 »
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.