Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Pilgrim's Path  (Read 13809 times)

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Pilgrim's Path
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »

With friendly enough relations, their cells should disband over time.  Though it could be that interest is too high for that, I've never pushed them that hard.  I generally play nice with the Hegemony's AI limits.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2022, 07:20:11 PM »

Friendly rep with Path has no effect. The Luddic Church has a special exemption that reduces their Pather interest by 90%.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »

I didn't insult anyone, i stated my honest opinion on something
Claiming that other religious/social groupings are lacking in piety (don't "hold the Church and religion very highly") and no-true-Scotsmanning examples that happen to fall within your own group ("west LARPer") is an insult to anyone in one of those groups who believes their faith is important to them. This is something you presumably immediately understand were someone to claim that your community is impious, unless you actually think being irreligious is NBD, and the fact that you turned this into a competition about who is more faithful suggests otherwise.
Perhaps more to the point, it's the view that religious fundamentalists have of their non-extremist neighbors. They're not true believers like we are!

"middle finger to God" is straight up more insulting than anything I'd even consider saying here, and I'm possibly the most stereotypical-Reddit-atheist person in this thread.

Anyway let's mix it up with some examples from the other Abrahamic religions
Spoiler

Blue Mosque, Istanbul

Jerusalem's Great Synagogue isn't much to look at from a distance, until you're standing in front of it

Though the really flashy synagogues I've found are the ones built in Europe using the Moorish Revival style during the 19th and early 20th centuries, e.g. the Sofia Synagogue
[close]

Big and impressive religious structures aren't limited to Abrahamic faiths in Europe or the Near East either! Here's the Golden Temple in Amritsar, and the Xianguding Temple in Weihai.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »

@Neldonax
You act like harassing the developers over artistic decisions means caring about the game, but in fact you’re just demanding that the devs care about you. Buying the game is just you appreciating a product, it does not entitle you to make demands on its creators. If you care so much about the game that you want to improve it, take your free time and make an artwork or a mod. Better yet, buy the game to friends who might like it. But if you want Starsector to be your own thing, go on, the devs kindly left the tools available.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2022, 11:56:34 PM »

Blog post here.
I love these new pieces! Great job!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2022, 03:24:21 AM »

@Neldonax
You act like harassing the developers over artistic decisions means caring about the game, but in fact you’re just demanding that the devs care about you. Buying the game is just you appreciating a product, it does not entitle you to make demands on its creators. If you care so much about the game that you want to improve it, take your free time and make an artwork or a mod. Better yet, buy the game to friends who might like it. But if you want Starsector to be your own thing, go on, the devs kindly left the tools available.
How exactly is he harrassing the developers? He is typing out posts in the developers own forum, using said forum to its purpose, to give an opinion. The developer holds all the power here, and can can silence him at will if Alex chooses to do so. Harrassment this is not. I sure hope the developer cares for all our opinions, and indeed has been responsive to complaints and open to discussions in the past. If you truly think the developer does not care, then why even have a forum and why would you be posting in said forum about the direction of the game?

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2022, 05:39:18 AM »

How exactly is he harrassing the developers?
We're starting to get really off topic about something that wasn't even my main point, but it wouldn't be polite not to answer your question. Don't take this as mudslinging, but for the sake of the question, here are the examples:
I dislike the high elf architecture, the luddics are meant to be highly pious and humble, not these extravagant high towers and ***.
Luddics have so much potential please do not *** this up so bad
All i'm saying is this new luddic *** is turnung out generic and am offering different examples to how it can be better
Sure, implying it's harassment might be a stretch, but what I was trying to say is that this tone and attitude aren't going to get him anywhere. I also wonder how you got the impression that I think that devs don't care, I was trying to showcase the opposite and show Neldonax how he can get his point across.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2022, 05:40:59 AM »

Alright guys, let's cool it down. Let me try out the mod voice:

1. This isn't a place to discuss what group is more pious than what other based on their architecture, or what their religion means. Please don't do this.
2. We (the devs) both don't wish to be addressed with a disrespectful tone - I think that's clear - but we also don't need pitchforks coming out to self-police here. We'll handle it through moderation from here.
3. Talking about cool religious architecture and speculating about it in a scifi context is good and really interesting! Again, just don't go attacking RL groups while doing it.
4. You are allowed to object to my artistic choices. I ask that you do so respectfully, and with the understanding that I might not listen and might not wish to take the time to respond. The only one I really owe answers to is Alex - and he owes answers only to himself, so don't feel you should bother him overmuch either.

TLDR: kindly drop the back-and-forth accusations and keep it on-topic.

FWIW I guess I should be happy that people are so, ah, passionate about the subject!

HiddenPorpoise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2022, 08:44:43 PM »

I guess this is as good a place to ask as anywhere: how does one make a spacesuit that both meets the Luddic requirements of dress during pilgrimage and doesn't kill the user? Or do they just wear a pressure suit over the pilgrim clothing and say it doesn't count?

And how much of Kumari Aru is actually understood on Beholder? It seems like someone living in a former xeno-catalogue would want to know more than what can be seen through a giant diamond no matter how sacred it is.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2022, 10:59:02 PM »

I'd think that anyspace suit that doesn't mess with space time, nor turn you into some kinda transhuman cyborg unnecessarily would be fine to wear.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

HiddenPorpoise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2022, 12:22:28 AM »

I'd think that anyspace suit that doesn't mess with space time, nor turn you into some kinda transhuman cyborg unnecessarily would be fine to wear.
I'm referring to the game mentioning in a couple places that pilgrims are wearing hand woven fabrics.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »

I'm referring to the game mentioning in a couple places that pilgrims are wearing hand woven fabrics.

The Apollo space suits were hand woven. 

Presumably though the areas where the pilgrims are walking around without environmental suits on are in safe pressurized environments.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »

I was thinking, some of factions as they are currently are more of a reflection of current and past times than they are of the future, barring the spacefaring part. I consider the most fleshed out is the Hegemony, which appears to be characterised as different stereotypes to different people, from a bureaucratic nightmare to a military junta nightmare to an authoritarian nightmare, due to the unclear nature of what their government is, but they do host a cosmospolitan space university as well as seemingly independent planets within their borders. Persean League I would regard as the next, in that every planet is different, but there is nothing truly bizarre and whilst widely different, there is nothing there that seems out of the ordinary on Earth. The most outlandish seems to be a parody of current politics.

Tri-Tachyon is a bit odd, in that they are a corporation in space, but how would an actual government corporation function is not expounded upon, for where does the money go? Instead they are simply what appears to be when ina modern world corporate corruption runs rampant without humanist concerns or government oversight. For all that they are far less cruel than actual historical corporations that did end up ruling vast areas. Sindrian Diktat seems to be a bog standard recently formed military dictatorship with charismatic leader stereotype. At least from the point of view of the Hegemony anyways, which is the lens that is presented to the player.

Luddic Church is just a theocracy. That's it really. As a religion it is barely fleshed out, and doesn't seem to reflect any sort of grand futuristic or present idealogy, other than a vague  coldwar style hamans may cause the end of human civilization. It's just a religion, but in space. It doesn't really predict a possible religion or idealogy that will come as technology abnd science is gainedor reflect the growing idealogies of the modern world, such as the growing ecological movement. There doesn't seem to be any horrific cyborgs running around despite that appears to be one of the core tenents of the Luddic Church is fighting against. Everyone is vaguely human, with the odd bionic eye at the most. They seem to beleive in ecological balance, but they were formed at a time when the domain manipulated the climate of whole planets with seeming ease and the population of humans on a planet now doesn't reach a mere billion.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2022, 01:43:20 PM »

@Plantissue
Speaking from a strictly practical point of view, Starsector appears to me to be focused on entertainment. Now it's possible that we will see some narrative experiments from David, but afaik those can easily alienate the audience that isn't looking for them. Therefore I expect the writing to be complementary to gameplay, even if potentially competent on its own.

If you're looking for more challenging narratives, I recommend you to look up David's old post on literary inspiration here. Personally I'd be pleasantly surprised to have my expectations subverted in the Persean Sector, but I wouldn't mind if it stuck to being a high-brow sci-fi space cowboy joyride.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2022, 03:59:46 PM »

I can't wait to see more interaction with the Sector arrive. I look forward to any chance to see the horizon of the game expand and create new opportunities to shape my relationship with it.

GIVE ME LORE
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8