Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Pilgrim's Path  (Read 13805 times)

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Pilgrim's Path
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 04:30:16 AM »

I like it, can't wait for the release btw :)

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 05:23:40 AM »

I'm already extremely excited about the fact that we'll get to see the multitudinous schisms among the Luddic believers :D It'd be amazing to read about how culture differs between colonies and how it affects the practice of the faith. I'm especially keen on seeing how the heresy against CGR looks like: Is faith the link shared by all Luddic practitioners? Or is it the fear of technology after all?

Hmmmm! (Yeah, the League needs a lot of love as well. Don't worry- we know.)
On a side note, happy to hear PL's on your radar, too! I heard Stian has cooked up the long overdue PL theme, so I'm looking forward to experience how you continue balancing out the TT-Heg axis of story with the rest of the factions.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 05:39:22 AM »

I really enjoyed the blog post. I've always been fascinated by advanced civilizations and their relationship with religion especially ones where the ramifications of faith are really explored.

Thanks! And same, particularly as I get older. I wasn't raised with any kind of religion so it's always been strange, and my attitudes when much younger were self-assured and highly dismissive, which I think is common among young science fiction fans. I mean sure, it's easy to write deluded people who believe crazy things very shallowly (and tbh these can be found just about everywhere), but doing something that takes itself more seriously? It's a fascinating intellectual and, like, sympathetic challenge.

What I appreciate about the Church in Starsector is that it's not the joke faction (that belongs to the Diktat and there was weeping and gnashing of teeth...:))

(Well: huge disagree in terms of what I/we are actually doing. But people have built up this idea so much with the Diktat that there's no point in talking about it anymore. So: the game will speak for itself!)

Fascinating stuff. Though, I have to ask... "look out for cliffracers"?

Morrowind. *thousand yard stare*

One thing I've idly thought about re. Luddics is how different persons in the faith might react to meeting an AI character in a social context or similar (there's a few such characters in the modiverse, I wrote one of them). Could they hold a civil conversation with it? Would they be metaphorically warding off the demon every half-minute, or start hurling accusations of various evils? Would they try to destroy it immediately after, assuming they possessed the means to do so?

The setting rather demands that question, doesn't it?

I like it, can't wait for the release btw :)

Thanks, same :D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 08:10:41 AM »

I have always considered the Ludds hypocrites and/or demonic wolves-in-sheep's-clothing (at least the Pathers are more honest), especially when they join in with the expeditions, or get mad with sat bombs when I am at war with another faction.  At that point, they become yet another enemy to crush when it is time to punish the core worlds for their excessive bullying and/or betrayal.

For the game, I am simply looking forward to stealing their ships (especially Eradicator and colony ship Invictus), either from blueprint raids or recovering their ships when they become too stupid to mind their own business and send expeditions at my worlds like the other major factions.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »

Thanks for the update, been checking and waiting every day and it's always nice to finally see 'July' under the archive list on the homepage.

Does the new content around the Ludic fit in with the main story line progress?
Is the main story still being progressed?

Just conscious it's pretty much the summer holidays now and would of been nice to get another jump forward in story, similar to the Ziggurat update.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 12:05:22 PM »

And I'm just dying to know how Mazalot Works™ in general. A Luddic-majority planet under the effective Kazeronian boot? The mind whirls at the possibilities...
I don't remember Mazalot being controlled by Kazeron, only by an oppressive regime that was kept in power by the League (and I can hardly imagine that Kazeron is the only player interested in keeping the status quo), has it changed recently?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 12:18:54 PM »

I think it's because the League is more like a Kazeron Hegemony in all but name under the 'stated' goal of being anti-hegemony.

Sorta like how the ancient Delian League was more of an Athenian "Empire" in practice.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »

For a person that usually doesn't care much about lore posts, this was very interesting. I really like where the game is going, having a world where each corner of the sector has a unique feel to it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

ForestFighters

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

I think it's because the League is more like a Kazeron Hegemony in all but name under the 'stated' goal of being anti-hegemony.

Sorta like how the ancient Delian League was more of an Athenian "Empire" in practice.

It's a league of equal planets, but some are more equal than others. Kazeron is just the most equalest, but others still have power.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »

It's a league of equal planets, but some are more equal than others. Kazeron is just the most equalest, but others still have power.

I wouldn't put that to the test.  ;D

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »

Maybe other League members should be made stronger, then.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »

Maybe other League members should be made stronger, then.

Why?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »

What power do the other League members have? Madeira has fuel, Olinadu has volatiles, and Mazalot has people and food, but what does Cibola, Mayasura, Salamanca, Laicaille Habitat, and the whole Westernesse system have to justify their positions in the League and the game? They basically just exist in little lore bubbles.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »

Oh, a quick question, David: Can the more overlooked Independent worlds like Eldfell or Cethlenn expect some uniquification identity upgrade, too? Being Independent is a downgrade in appeal by itself, but colonies like Nomios and Maxios manage to leverage the faction theme to feel peerlessly unique. Agreus got its little spotlight in the Gate campaing; can we expect more of these in the future?

SAGE: Thanks for the answer, David. I appreciate the wink ;)

What power do the other League members have? Madeira has fuel, Olinadu has volatiles, and Mazalot has people and food, but what does Cibola, Mayasura, Salamanca, Laicaille Habitat, and the whole Westernesse system have to justify their positions in the League and the game? They basically just exist in little lore bubbles.
Westernesse is a cultural powerhouse. Mayasura holds political significance, even if it has little political power by itself. Laicaille is a recreational hotspot, kinda like irl Monaco. Salamanca, on the other hand, is the spoiler that signals independent worlds that the doors to the League are open to, well, anyone. Cibola is... a s**thole, everybody has one...

Some of these identities translate into gameplay easier, some harder. But I can't say that any PL word suffers from a lack of identity. Unlike some Independent worlds, see above.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:07:09 PM by smithney »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2022, 01:44:13 PM »

Mayasura is the one that got "colony dropped" not long before the game start, right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8