Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Pilgrim's Path  (Read 13987 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pilgrim's Path
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2022, 12:51:57 PM »

I'm calling it now, we could ban this kid today and nothing of value will be lost. I give him six months tops, but we could start a pool.

I'm looking forward to putting a Luddic shrine on the tour, if that's something we can do (without too much blood and screaming as rules.csv bites into our tender modder flesh).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »

I'm calling it now, we could ban this kid today and nothing of value will be lost. I give him six months tops, but we could start a pool.
This type of behaviour is even worse than the original rude posts...

Being respectful to others is a rule for everyone, no matter what others are posting, but modder privilege I guess.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »

Please treat other forum members with respect. This is completely uncalled for.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »

Please treat other forum members with respect. This is completely uncalled for.
Noted. I found the posts aggravating, but I should have left that out, yes.

Being respectful to others is a rule for everyone, no matter what others are posting, but modder privilege I guess.
I got my warning, just like anyone else would, and I took my lumps. I don't see any special privileges being applied here.

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2022, 01:20:59 PM »

If you want my honest opinion, the new church lore feels like it was written by a westerner, someone who doesn't live in a society that actually holds the Church and religion very highly, here the idea of a church shooting up to the sky was almost heresy until just 200 years ago

have you considered that different cultures and societies may show their high regard for the church in different ways
"only x region REALLY values the church, everywhere else has always been degenerate sinners" is the most milquetoast form of religious elitism and applying it to videogame architecture because you headcanon them as Chad Ultra Orthodox Traditionalists(tm) is pretty funny, if not exactly productive
All i'm saying is this new luddic *** is turnung out generic and am offering different examples to how it can be better
Kubanka je zgodna

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »

This type of behaviour is even worse than the original rude posts...
Ooh, this reminds me of my first naive steps on the internet when I was milked as lolcow before being uncompromisingly banned forever on a pokemon forum xD Speaks volumes of the community that there are actually voices against being cynical jerks towards fans with childlike mentality (no offense, Neldonax, you do come off like that). I applaud that.

@Neldonax
Why do you insist on the developer submitting to your ideas when you could draw them up yourself and mod them in? If your idea's as cool as you're trying to make us believe, convince us. (And no, spamming googled images doesn't count, nor do arguments)

Sozzer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2022, 01:41:08 PM »

All i'm saying is this new luddic *** is turnung out generic and am offering different examples to how it can be better

i believe you said quite a number of other things that (imo) paint a pretty clear picture of your issue with it
including but not limited to arguing against the piety of the catholic church, describing gothic architecture as "a middle finger to god", explicitly describing any culture other than small eastern european nations as never having placed faith highly, insisting on the idea that actually it's visually complex architecture that's advanced and not holy and visually simple (but no less complex or, arguably, ostentatious) architecture is great and pious (even though understated-but-grand architecture is still plenty showy, just in a different way), and also outright admitting that it's probably just your headcanon

spoiler: it is in fact your headcanon, yes

my gripe personally isn't with you wanting them to be different in a certain way - everyone wants some part of just about anything to be different in some fashion
it's with you awkwardly masking it behind weird proxy arguments about piety and religious architecture when it's just not liking them not fitting the mental image you had for them in all respects (which is an especially odd decision when you're talking about a group that explicitly don't have a truly centralised standard, and whose faith is shaped heavily by location and local populace)

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2022, 01:59:25 PM »

i believe you said quite a number of other things that (imo) paint a pretty clear picture of your issue with it
including but not limited to arguing against the piety of the catholic church, describing gothic architecture as "a middle finger to god", explicitly describing any culture other than small eastern european nations as never having placed faith highly, insisting on the idea that actually it's visually complex architecture that's advanced and not holy and visually simple (but no less complex or, arguably, ostentatious) architecture is great and pious (even though understated-but-grand architecture is still plenty showy, just in a different way), and also outright admitting that it's probably just your headcanon

spoiler: it is in fact your headcanon, yes

my gripe personally isn't with you wanting them to be different in a certain way - everyone wants some part of just about anything to be different in some fashion
it's with you awkwardly masking it behind weird proxy arguments about piety and religious architecture when it's just not liking them not fitting the mental image you had for them in all respects (which is an especially odd decision when you're talking about a group that explicitly don't have a truly centralised standard, and whose faith is shaped heavily by location and local populace)
Because if i just outright say i don't like it i need to provide a reason, so i provided my reason. If i don't provide a reason i get harped for not doing that, i don't get the issue.
Yeah i may have gone too far with my opinions, but it all plays into the fact that the luddic church has way more potential than just being the space papacy.
I am mostly translating in my head so if something comes off wrong i can't really re-learn english all over again. I can make up misstranslation excuses but what does that really mean
I didn't insult anyone, i stated my honest opinion on something, maybe i should've just not kept on explaining the same thing over and over again, i'll admit wrong there.
Including my views on real religion is reasonable here because if the world of starsector wants to feel real, it needs real elements, writing fiction from real example just makes it feel more real in general.
Your headcanon about the church might differ from mine, it might align with the devs views, but i payed full price for this game and i get to have a voice if i feel it's going in the wrong direction.
I like the luddics and i don't want them to go in the complete opposite direction of what i wanted them to be

@Neldonax
Why do you insist on the developer submitting to your ideas when you could draw them up yourself and mod them in? If your idea's as cool as you're trying to make us believe, convince us. (And no, spamming googled images doesn't count, nor do arguments)
it's different when it's official, sure i can just make my own illustrations but that's just not the same.

Don't want to argue, just voicing what i think and elaborating when asked
Kubanka je zgodna

Sozzer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »

Yeah i may have gone too far with my opinions, but it all plays into the fact that the luddic church has way more potential than just being the space papacy.

i'm not sure space eastern orthodoxy is necessarily taking things to their utmost potential either, frankly
though "space papacy" seems pretty incongruous with most of their lore - for the most part it does seem like you're struggling to picture them as their own thing, rather than simply assigning them as XYZ In Space and associating their entire faction with this

Your headcanon about the church might differ from mine, it might align with the devs views, but i payed full price for this game and i get to have a voice if i feel it's going in the wrong direction.
I like the luddics and i don't want them to go in the complete opposite direction of what i wanted them to be
oh what i'd want is pretty different from their actual direction too, don't get me wrong
as i said, it's not about you wanting them to be different, it's about you trying to insist that a whole host of tangentially related points are reasons they should be different, rather than just a direction you prefer

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »

Very much looking forward to the update, and seeing if taking a pilgrim's tour can change my mind about the Luddic Church faction (my current view of them is...one dimensional, I guess is the best way to put it). That said is the mechanic where Luddic Church/Pather worlds will install colony items (fusion lamp, mantle bore, etc.) as readily as any other faction, only without suffering from pather cells because of pather interest, changed at all? If not I'm foreseeing the possibility of ironic text if, for example, one of the shrine keepers talks about the destructive side of the old Domain terraforming practices/projects while the planet is currently using a mantle bore to generate more resources.

Because they’re sticklers for rules, for self discipline, for restraint, for acting piously. Basically nothing like the average player.
Nonsense, me starting the Third AI War to get more profit out of my genetically engineered dinosaur parks is the height of...well, I'll get back to you on that one ;).

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2022, 03:23:27 PM »

Very much looking forward to the update, and seeing if taking a pilgrim's tour can change my mind about the Luddic Church faction (my current view of them is...one dimensional, I guess is the best way to put it). That said is the mechanic where Luddic Church/Pather worlds will install colony items (fusion lamp, mantle bore, etc.) as readily as any other faction, only without suffering from pather cells because of pather interest, changed at all? If not I'm foreseeing the possibility of ironic text if, for example, one of the shrine keepers talks about the destructive side of the old Domain terraforming practices/projects while the planet is currently using a mantle bore to generate more resources.

You can get the Pathers to leave you alone if you make the Pathers friendly to you too.  That's the reason that the church isn't targeted by Pather cells, they start the game with a high opinion of one another.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »

You can get the Pathers to leave you alone if you make the Pathers friendly to you too.  That's the reason that the church isn't targeted by Pather cells, they start the game with a high opinion of one another.
I was not aware that was a mechanic, testing that immediately.

...No, even at 100 relationship with the Path I'm still getting an active cell, which church/pather planets don't get if they get 8+ interest. Do I need 100 relationship with the church as well or something else?

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2022, 03:37:18 PM »

I was not aware that was a mechanic, testing that immediately.

...No, even at 100 relationship with the Path I'm still getting an active cell, which church/pather planets don't get if they get 8+ interest. Do I need 100 relationship with the church as well or something else?
pather cells and pather faction are two different unrelated things, think of it like being friends with ISIS but that doesn't stop terrorism cause most terrorists aren't directly affiliated with ISIS. But yeah the chances for cells should still get reduced, are you still using AI cores and stuff on your colony, brotha?
Kubanka je zgodna

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2022, 03:44:05 PM »

The colony I tested has...eh, only a modest 50 pather interest worth of buildings and AI cores (lightly modded game, so yeah, I went a little overboard), so if being friends with the pathers only raises the limits I can believe I still crossed the line. And circumnavigated a the globe crossing it several more times afterwards. I'm not sure, though.

ForestFighters

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2022, 04:05:10 PM »

The colony I tested has...eh, only a modest 50 pather interest worth of buildings and AI cores (lightly modded game, so yeah, I went a little overboard), so if being friends with the pathers only raises the limits I can believe I still crossed the line. And circumnavigated a the globe crossing it several more times afterwards. I'm not sure, though.

The pathers must be like: "Yo I know you are enslaving the AI to further our cause and stuff, as you do, but good god why are you using SO MANY? We need to cut that number down a notch, one way or another."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8