Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: So what's the plan with the Fury?  (Read 8548 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
So what's the plan with the Fury?
« on: July 17, 2022, 12:20:47 PM »

Once again, I came across Furies in my playthrough and I think my relationship with them is even worse than with Auroras (hell even Medusa). But the thing is, I can at least justify Aurora as an expensive flagship. Fury is just not at the 20 DP tier it currently stands. Now if Alex decides to nerf every other cruiser in the game, then ok this post is pointless. Otherwise it either needs to be a bit cheaper or get a slight buff. Now the situation isn't as serious as I'm making it out to be, the ship isn't straight up unviable or bad, it's just that the balance currently is in a such good place, the Fury is a thorn in my eye and my over analytical playstyle. I'm not even sure how would you go about buffing it, except boring stat changes. If it stays the same then it absolutely can't be more expensive than Apogee (18 DP).

Obligatory "I called it": https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22611.0
Please don't take me too seriously.

Tadas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: So what's the plan with the Fury?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »

Interesting, I stopped piloting SO Auroras, because it felt too much like cheating. I don't know, Furies feel largely mediocre, taking DP into account probably bit better than Eagles/Falcons, worse than Champions/Eradicators and considerably worse than Apogees.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:22:38 PM by Tadas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 01:33:06 PM »

I think a significant factor for the Fury feeling worse was the eradicator being added at the same DP and being a bit stronger IMO. 18 DP seems like maybe a better place for it. I don't think it's unusable ATM, but it definitely feels a little over costed at 20 DP.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »

For the full meme experience: Fury stays the same, Eradicator gets annihilated with the nerf bat > no more complaints about Fury being too weak. This was only a joke, please god no.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 02:14:13 PM »

the fury is in a theoretically good place rn imo (it's ~60% of an aurora for ~60% of the cost) so I don't really feel like much could be done to it?

like, lowering the DP would make it comparatively better vs the aurora, buffing the stats would have a vaguely similar effect, maybe swapping the system for plasma jets would make it feel less "meh", though idrk how much of a difference that'd make.

and the erad does deserve a hit with the nerf bat, between it and the champ the eagle is basically useless

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »

Yeah but that's the big part of Aurora, lots of weapons on a ship that can move very fast, even backwards. Not really sure how Fury being better would obsolete the Aurora, I'd argue that Odyssey obsoletes all of them then lol. Again, it's fine if nothing changes, I just personally don't see a use for the ship unless I somehow get it super early for free. And the AI is absolutely atrocious with it.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 07:05:15 PM »

Fury at 15 DP was clearly OP. I don't have a strong opinion on the Fury at 20 DP. Anecdotally, if I give it to the AI, I hardly ever lose them except in endgame full Ordo fights. As a flagship, I think they're far better than a Falcon and at least on par with the more-expensive Eagle. The Eradicator is a first-pass ship right now and is slightly over-tuned. If anything, it will get nerfed just like the Fury.

I think the real selling point for the Fury right now is that not only is it faster than an Aurora, it also has ~93.5% of the shield tanking ability for 2/3rds the cost. It doesn't have near the firepower of an Aurora but it's an extremely safe ship. It's toward the top of shield tanking ships in an absolute sense, and even factored for DP, it's way better than the Aurora (which is actually rather middling). For a very fast ship, it can take a lot of damage: it just can't deliver much.

I don't know, I'm not unsatisfied with it at 20 DP so I don't think it really needs anything right now.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 07:11:41 PM by FooF »

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 07:21:35 PM »

If nothing else, today I learned why the shrike and apogee are my favorite ships. Jury's still out on the mercury.
TL;DR deez nuts

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 07:24:54 PM »

Aurora is a cursed ship that will never be allowed to be good again. Comparing things to it isn't meaningful.

Fury is, imo, worse than even the pirate Eradicator. 20 DP is definitely too much.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »

20 feels like alot but a pack of fury's can decimate most ships. The Aurora feels like it has its place still though. It has generally better specs, a generous weapon system and plasma jets will beat plasma burn any day.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 09:24:12 PM »

I have been satisfied with the Fury at 20. Its fast, it has a bunch of missiles, good flux for some guns, and a good shield. Range is an issue for dueling other cruisers, but it has the speed of a destroyer so...

The Eradicator is currently overtuned - the discussion of the Eagle comes to mind. It doesn't need a huge nerf, but AAF + all those ballistics is really good.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 11:49:40 PM »

Wouldn't really call 1 medium + 1 potential medium slot a "bunch of missiles" for 20 DP. Manticore has that much missile firepower and it's not even built around it. Anyways I can't believe my eyes someone would say Fury is a safe ship, or more recent, that a pack of Furies mean business. No, both are factually wrong because my very first playthrough this patch, I had 3 Furies in my fleet probably 80% of the game. Eventually had to change them out because I was so disappointed with the performance and the biggest issue was them dying first in fights. All 3 were different versions of builds, all 3 were safe and sane builds, neither had a reckless officer, and all had 2 s-mods with maxed officers. Speed of a destroyer is a non argument when almost every fight they just burn in, maybe kill a frigate or two, and then get into a bad position where you have to rescue them. It's really not me crying about it because I ran a couple of sim tests. I played a full damn campaign with them and they're just underwhelming. I currently have an Eagle in my fleet and despite the slower speed it's a much better performing ship (and that's the one people think is weak right now!!). I'm not sure what else can I say to paint a clear picture that the Fury is the problem, not everything around it.

Speaking of other cruisers, think I'll make a separate topic for Eradicator, so this one doesn't get derailed.

Btw you don't have to compare Fury just to a ship of the same cost, compare it to an Apogee, Champion, Mora, etc. And see what each ship brings to a fight compared to our little topic here.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 05:27:51 AM »

The fury works if you are running something akin to a wolfpack. Think of them as big dire wolves. In this context I wouldn't mix the furys up too much and just make them the same build across the board, giving one of them ion options to disable a target and the other two as hunter-killers to punch up/torpedo the enemy. They wont function as adequately hunting Ordo's but still make nice offensive ships to include in any composition for raiding/bounty hunting.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 06:05:02 AM »

The Fury is probably going to benefit significantly from the new Kinetic Blaster, thinking about it.

Being able to use your main gun to efficiently pressure shields and missiles to punish venting and overloads is a much more comfortable dynamic than what it's got right now.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 06:17:23 AM »

True, but we're yet to see how easy is to get Kinetic Blasters (doesn't seem that easy for early game fleets), and how actually good they are.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6