Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Several topics for discussion  (Read 810 times)

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
Several topics for discussion
« on: July 12, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »

Good day.
Let me suggest a few topics for discussion, it might be interesting.

1 Every time I make another run in the game I face a dilemma - to develop the skills for the captain to fight on the ship or to develop the skills to manage the fleet. It is unrealistic to develop both, skill points are not enough. But I also noticed that the captain can still entrust part of the duties to his subordinates - for example, ships are well piloted by lieutenants who develop the necessary skills, planets are well managed by administrators. But there are still not enough subordinates, the captain cannot be everywhere at once (except for the scenario when you play a lone wolf who does not need anyone, even the planet). So the idea is the following - the captain still manages the fleet, but can he entrust the fulfillment of several of his duties to his subordinates? For example - a navigator - who will plot a course and calculate (to develop skills for him, for example, navigation / sensors), or for example - an engineer - who will monitor the state of the fleet (develop his field repair skills, gathering, etc.), or else - a senior assistant - who will be responsible for the personnel (number of officers and their skills).
2 How about an elite skill for the neutrino detector? So that there are no false positives when using it. It would be cool, even an elite skill point is not a pity for this.
3 I really hope that there will be more secret places where you can only get to the transwarp jump. This looks interesting. Because when traveling in hyperspace, it will be possible to look at such hidden places.

Aramoro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Several topics for discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 07:26:57 PM »

3 I really hope that there will be more secret places where you can only get to the transwarp jump. This looks interesting. Because when traveling in hyperspace, it will be possible to look at such hidden places.

This...combined whit neutrino detector.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 09:09:13 PM »

I do hope there's
Spoiler
more
[close]
random rogue planets in the future, considering
Spoiler
the one we have is rather neat
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:46:36 AM by Kakroom »

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »

I'll add a few ideas to this post.

4 Food production.
There are very few food producers in the world of Starsector. planets suitable for farming (inhabited and uninhabited) are very few. Constant hunger and extinction of the population and, in the end, cannibalism ... a very, very terrible situation. Faction wars should be more about planets that can produce food, rather than just beliefs or minerals. Suggestion - we need buildings that can be built on planets without farmlands. Hydroponic farms / mushroom farms / green soylent production (completely absurd).
5 A large card is required. Approximately 1.25 of normal card size. Who doesn't want to explore the Starsector universe a little longer?
6 Technology is needed to turn off warning beacons (just an aesthetic desire). When a system is completely cleared of artificial intelligence fleets, it is necessary to be able to turn off warning beacons.
7 Technology is needed to completely collect debris fields so that they disappear entirely (just an aesthetic desire).
8 Terraforming planets and changing conditions on them. There are special items in the game to improve production rates, but they also require special conditions on the pallet. Now the game does not have a built-in terraforming system, but it is very, very suggestive, and honestly it is very interesting how the game’s creation can implement it (by the way, many thanks to the modders who solved this problem in two different ways).
9 Needs the ability to craft absolutely unique ships and weapons (ships and weapons so unique that none of the factions use them). For example, drawings for them will drop out after defeating the guards of the hypershunt. Or they can be found in star systems in hidden places (see point 10).
10 Secret places. Now I have found only one such place - this is the place of the battle with Ziggurat. How about using this mechanic many more times? For example, one for each star cluster. This will be an incentive to stay on course when traveling in hyperspace. Secret places are always interesting, a new incentive to explore. Probably in such places new enemies or just long abandoned systems with untouched riches or technologies can wait for us.
11 Must be able to harvest organs after combat (yes, nasty topic). After space battles, we collect scrap metal, weapons, fuel and cargo. But someone controls the ships - the ship's crew. Almost the entire team dies (in various ways), some of the lucky ones probably flee in escape pods. Since we are collecting scrap metal / weapons / fuel and so on, is there a chance to collect some of the internal organs of the deceased team?
12 Must be able to breed lobsters. For example, buy technology from the Sindrian dictate or complete a quest for them. This is such a rare commodity that it would be nice to raise the profits of the colony where they will breed lobsters.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »

Off the top of my head, we need a way to undo the Decivilized market state. Maybe if a planet stays at a perfect 10/10 stability for 3 months straight it loses its Decivilized status as a way of representing the elimination/assimilation of the various gangs, clans, etc that still exist outside of mainstream society?
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:22:54 PM »

Well, this is just a disguised suggestions thread isn't it?

You CAN combine combat skills with fleet skills. Obviously you will have to cut off all the fat but it is possible. If we assume you'll spend 5 points on combat skills(to get the finisher) then you can easily get by with 4 skills in Leadership(any 3 + either offier skill), 3 in Technology(to get Flux Regulation) which leaves you with 3 skill points for the Industry tree. Though personally because I cannot imagine playing without both Containment Procedures and Makeshift Equipment I'd skip the finisher in combat tree and go 4/4/3/4.

As for suggestions go I would certainly like more colony items. Solar mirrors/shades are already a tease since you cannot get them yourself and so are Domain-era Relays/Sensor Arrays/Nav Buoys. Though the more you increase the special item pool the lower the likelyhood of getting what you want in a game.