Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Change Missile Autoforge  (Read 597 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Change Missile Autoforge
« on: July 11, 2022, 07:13:09 PM »

Instead of a single charge that refills Gryphon's missiles to max capacity, Missile Autoforge starts with two charges that refill standard amount of ammo used by the weapon.  For example, Harpoon rack has three missiles, and Gryphon starts with at least six (because of built-in Expanded Missile Racks).  With the proposed change, using the system once would add three missiles to the rack (or up to maximum), and the system can be used twice.

The net effect is doubling an unskilled Gryphon's missile capacity (or x4 normal capacity), but less than what Gryphon with either or both Tier 5 combat skills with the current method.  With this change, a Gryphon with Systems Expertise or Missile Specialization would have x5 capacity (instead of x6 capacity), and one with both would have x6 capacity (instead of x9 capacity).

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Change Missile Autoforge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 08:04:30 AM »

Honestly, don't think this would achieve much. x6 is still plenty to spam everything to death. The real issue is, imo, Gryphon being able to continuously spam until it runs out of all system charges, which allows you to put all into one linked group to get fast kills.

The goal should be to decrease how frontloaded the damage is. Perhaps the system should regenerate very few ammo (a single salvo?), have more charges, and a long cooldown. This way situational missile barrages in a support role would be mostly unaffected, while the "dump everything immediately to get cheap kills" builds would go away.

There also should be missile-affecting D-mods to prevent Derelict Ops from being always optimal.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 08:14:49 AM »

Why is this suggestion pinned?
Nvm it's fixed now.

Anyways I agree with the general thought of making "random bullsh*t go" playstyle a bit less absurd, however may that be achieved. Also thanks for reminding me there isn't a missile d-mod yet.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:40:07 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »

I was today years old when I realized how badly I could abuse the Gryphon. Now that I see the potential of Missile Spec and System Expertise. That is a lot of missiles.

Missile Autoforge being this all-or-none thing with an optimal use case seems a bit too binary to me. A part of me would rather see just a passive regeneration of all missiles, with an active component akin to Fast Missile Racks. So, given time, the Gryphon has infinite missiles but practically, it only doubles Missile capacity over the course of standard CR.