Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9.51a-RC6][heavily WIP] Domain Exploratorium lost Paradise  (Read 2871 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile

So, there is this mod floating on discord called "Bingus", made by AlexAtheos, it is a overpowered star system with cryosleeper, shunt, and all 4 IndEvo ruins. I decided to create a derivative mod from it (with his permission, thanks AlexAtheos!), but I enjoy being vanilla-friendly regarding lore and backstory, so I decided to add some features for that, and those features needed other  features... 1 month and a lot of scope creep later, it became a mini-faction mod.

I mean, it still is a single StarSystem mod, with a lot of cool features... all other things are there to make the Starsystem cooler.

Details: System is called "Paradisus", is trinary, has a lot of cool stuff to find, including custom admins and commanders that break vanilla limits.

Also it has a custom nexerelin start, so you don't have to find it. The start has a backstory, and because of this if you actually start on this start, you get a whole faction too, including faction ships (nothing major, mostly faction version of vanilla ships).

Still not done: quests, including one to actually unlock the system (it starts unlocked in my current build). And I am looking for help to make a cool unique ship for the player to use as flagship, and tied to the quests.

Lore of custom start: You are an employee of Exploratorium right after the collapse, the Exploratorium is the black ops arm of the domain, using normally-illegal technology (like AI warships) to defeat rebellious frontier worlds, exploration, dealing with potential first contact, dealing with non-sentient aliens (for example building a station to observe xenofauna that exists on a Gas Giant) and so on. Right after the collapse, before the Luddic Church even formed officially, you noticed one of the Exploratorium black ops project was now cut-off from space basically, "Paradisus", a perfect system that has all that the Domain would want.

The system already had a gate installed, colonization had started although not self-sufficient, and a lot of "interesting" projects, like the creation of AI-based administrators was going on inside laboratories over there. Because of the amount of controversial things there, and the fact the Domain didn't want to share the system with any corporation, the system jump points were made unstable on purpose, and the gate was the only way in, or out. Without the gates working, you expect for everyone there to die, since self-sufficiency wasn't expected of them yet. You plan then a mission, grab the last of the Exploratorium crewed ships on Persean Sector available, make a colonization fleet, and travel slowly, some 200 years or so, through normal space toward Paradisus star. When you get there the tasks are simple:

1. Restore connection to hyperspace.
2. Get rid of interloopers if there are any.
3. Secure all the Exploratorium technology lying around.
4. If Domain is back, proceed with original plans, colonize the  system and hand it over.
5. If the Domain is not back... colonize the system, and start the Domain from it, crushing any pretenders and fake Domains out there.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.51a-RC6][heavily WIP] Domain Exploratorium lost Paradise
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »

Need some help with the mod.

Two things are needed:

1. Need a boss ship or station for players to defeat (if they came to the system in normal gameplay using traverse jumping) or convince to stand down (if they are doing exploratorium start). Idea is defeating it with bullets or words, will make it reopen the jump points. I don't mind using existing content, in my placeholder local testing I am using swp_sporeship for this, but didn't got official permission for this yet so...

2. Need spriter to help me make a cool reward flagship. Idea is make a flagship that is built around a giant railgun, and giant I mean giant, I am thinking of making the rails to be apart from each other with the size of a frigate, make electricity and whatnot shoot between the rails as it charges, and be effectively a real superweapon with some drawbacks, like being unable to move while using it (can still turn to aim it). And it also should be a carrier, so the ship is still useful when not using the gun and also because it would make sense for Exploratorium to use carriers, the in-game description of the biggest carriers suggest they were invented to fight fringe worlds, and that is the primary enemy of Exploratorium in first place.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »

Managed to add an interesting feature: made the faction copy all known ships, fighters, industries, etc... of derelict and nex_derelict factions, this way mods that add more derelict ships affect the explorarium automatically :)

Thus explorarium is compatible with all mods that add more derelict ships :D

KarlianaVonMauser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 06:33:39 AM »

Interesting idea; I would try it out first if the mod is made~