Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 281263 times)

1c3Br3ak3r

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.22.5
« Reply #645 on: December 07, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »

Hey, nice mod! I get some The Expanse vibes while using some balistic weapons, yet to be real Realistic, a bullet range limit would have to go off, even more if a starship is in sight or telemetry range. Even a small piece of metal coming in a opposite orbit would do enough damage if pierce in the right spot. But orbits are not the point in the game... right?  :-\

Some points i think you mod could improve also:
1. Missiles may need a nerf, they got overpowered since it refil after every battle, a missile focused fleet, can rip though even 2-3 times stronger fleet (in a vanilla perspective of strenght). Maybe buff point defense and fighters with pd would solve that, and a longer cooldown to all missiles. To be "realistic" missiles should be only replenished at stations, but i don't think it's easy to script that, i dunno...  :-X

2. AI need some tweaks on how to use shield now. You change shields soo they don't protect 100% but they take the same old delayed time to turn on and get around the ship, or worst, move around wen it's not static or omni, soo it's pretty common to most AI only turn the shield now when it's too late. Because that even timid or cautious AI take alot hit since they speed up not knowing they will take forever to stop becoming a sitting duck  many times. The tactical screen help it at some extension, for the player, but enemies are even more a easy prey now due that.

3. AI are retreating too easily. Also Derelict ships are retreating now, making some frustating situations. I have to keep persuing 2 or more times Derelict now soo they blow up due low CR or i lost the battle progress, if by accident i select leave them, all the salvage is lost like i never did any battle, it's annoying even more because they spawn too near the retreating zone, soo it's not point to send any ship, this problem is only with derelict. For others AI the retreat logic is different but yet too easy, seems that you extended the retreat zone, soo a big fleeing fleet can get the front line ships there. In vanilla in the beginning, it's common most ships flee at end of a battle but progressing it get easy for a stronger player catch most them if not all. Now even for a fast player fleet its common for the enemy fleet at least 5 or more ships from the front to escape.

That's it, this is just my perception, i hope it can help you.

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.22.6
« Reply #646 on: December 17, 2022, 04:56:30 PM »

Hotfix 1.22.6 is out!  Stopped burst beams from dealing way too much damage to shields-down targets at close range.  Laser-armed [REDACTED] fighters should no longer destroy ships almost instantly.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged flack cannons and other point defenses
« Reply #647 on: December 17, 2022, 08:15:57 PM »

There is a bug where point defense guns do not shoot at fighters and missiles. They just stare at them while wiggling back and forth. It almost always happens for missiles and sometimes for fighters.
This is likely due to weapons not having enough degrees of control over their rotation.

Minimum rotation unit fix:
If the number representing a weapons rotation only goes from 0 - 360, I would change it to 0 - 3600.

This is as best as i can explain the bug. I'm very surprised you didn't catch this while doing your own testing.

Huh, I wonder if the minimum rotation unit idea might be true.  I know that my code does not restrict non-player weapons from firing.  I wonder what steps would replicate the issue. 

I have noticed that remnant and domain drones will actively retreat now. Which is really cool until it hard locks you out of salvaging any domain probe/ship/mothership because you have to kill all of the drones to salvage, and they will continually retreat from the combat space before you can get over to them.
This forces you to repeatedly re-engage the automated defenses and hope that you have enough ships with enough CR to force an engine crit malfunction on the drones so you can finally cross the distance quickly enough to finish off the wounded drone before it retreats. (it normally just spins around and immediately exits)

I am not sure if their AI commanders are set to not reckless or if there is a mod conflict. I don't have any other mods that effect combat AI, so I am pretty sure its realistic combat. I have been using the command console mod to kill the spare drone or two, but without that the cost in CR to clear a single drone is incredibly prohibitive.

Scratch that, I am noticing that all pirates will attempt retreat when sufficiently wounded, including ones with officers (I presume that most are reckless)

Yes, I have coded ships to retreat when damaged enough, causing the problem you describe with the [REDACTED] ships.  I wonder how best to solve this issue and can't immediately think of a solution beyond the duck-tape of prohibiting [REDACTED] retreats entirely.

Hi,
I've been loving this mod, the improvements to combat are awesome! However I've run into one issue. Im using the Tahlan shipworks mod that features a ship that has 3 built in turret weapons. The range of such is listed as 4630 and the range indicator reflects this, however when firing the guns the shells only travel the vanilla distance before disappearing. I'm wondering if you know of any such fix for an issue such as this.

Best regards.

(edit, it seems like installing the ballistic rangefinder mod improves weapon ranges however not to the entire listed range. However this is a very pricy solution. Perhaps the dedicated targeting core should include this feature?)

Awwwwwww, thanks so much!  I appreciate and am grateful for the praise you give this mod.  I think the problem you are encountering is that the weapon spec is modified but the projectile spec is not.  Would you please tell me which ship from Tahlan you were using for me to replicate and, I hope, fix this bug?

They also seem to teleport straight out of combat, even if they are in the middle of the map.

Yes, I have noticed this behavior, and I believe Alex added it to save player time when a ship has no chance of being caught.

Hey, nice mod! I get some The Expanse vibes while using some balistic weapons, yet to be real Realistic, a bullet range limit would have to go off, even more if a starship is in sight or telemetry range. Even a small piece of metal coming in a opposite orbit would do enough damage if pierce in the right spot. But orbits are not the point in the game... right?  :-\

Some points i think you mod could improve also:
1. Missiles may need a nerf, they got overpowered since it refil after every battle, a missile focused fleet, can rip though even 2-3 times stronger fleet (in a vanilla perspective of strenght). Maybe buff point defense and fighters with pd would solve that, and a longer cooldown to all missiles. To be "realistic" missiles should be only replenished at stations, but i don't think it's easy to script that, i dunno...  :-X

2. AI need some tweaks on how to use shield now. You change shields soo they don't protect 100% but they take the same old delayed time to turn on and get around the ship, or worst, move around wen it's not static or omni, soo it's pretty common to most AI only turn the shield now when it's too late. Because that even timid or cautious AI take alot hit since they speed up not knowing they will take forever to stop becoming a sitting duck  many times. The tactical screen help it at some extension, for the player, but enemies are even more a easy prey now due that.

3. AI are retreating too easily. Also Derelict ships are retreating now, making some frustating situations. I have to keep persuing 2 or more times Derelict now soo they blow up due low CR or i lost the battle progress, if by accident i select leave them, all the salvage is lost like i never did any battle, it's annoying even more because they spawn too near the retreating zone, soo it's not point to send any ship, this problem is only with derelict. For others AI the retreat logic is different but yet too easy, seems that you extended the retreat zone, soo a big fleeing fleet can get the front line ships there. In vanilla in the beginning, it's common most ships flee at end of a battle but progressing it get easy for a stronger player catch most them if not all. Now even for a fast player fleet its common for the enemy fleet at least 5 or more ships from the front to escape.

That's it, this is just my perception, i hope it can help you.

Woooooo!  Thanks for the praise.  I appreciate it. 
- Limiting projectile range to one at which the target ship could not dodge up or down in 3D is realistic considering that I cannot easily add a third dimension to the game.
- I wonder if I could make shields quick again.
- Yes, the enemy ship AI is unfortunately too dumb to slow down and spread out in time, and I don't know how to fix that problem.
- Yes, I have noted the [REDACTED] ships retreat bug and wonder how to fix it. I have coded all ships to retreat, even from the front line, once they have no more health to lose without being unable to survive retreating.

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 24, 2022, 10:07:59 AM »

Hi Liral may I ask if the scatter amplifyer toolstip still being blank? Is it because it's undecided for how to balance or just by mistake?

SpiceyT

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged flack cannons and other point defenses
« Reply #649 on: December 25, 2022, 08:43:26 PM »

Awwwwwww, thanks so much!  I appreciate and am grateful for the praise you give this mod.  I think the problem you are encountering is that the weapon spec is modified but the projectile spec is not.  Would you please tell me which ship from Tahlan you were using for me to replicate and, I hope, fix this bug?

Hi, sorry for the very delayed reply. The ship is the Metafalica-class battleship, the built in weapon in question is the "Phira"

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 25, 2022, 11:38:44 PM »

Hi Liral may I ask if the scatter amplifyer toolstip still being blank? Is it because it's undecided for how to balance or just by mistake?

Say again?  I don't understand if you mean that the High Scatter Amplifier has a blank tooltip or if it only once were blank.

Hi, sorry for the very delayed reply. The ship is the Metafalica-class battleship, the built in weapon in question is the "Phira"

Ok, time for testing!

Lawful_Evil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 02, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »

Hi Liral, just wanted to say that this mod is amazing and is exactly what I'm looking for. Even small skirmishes feel epic now when your PDCs fire off and shred incoming missiles while you trade salvos. Here's a few things I wanted to note for others using this mod and some feedback:

Say again?  I don't understand if you mean that the High Scatter Amplifier has a blank tooltip or if it only once were blank.

The tooltip for the High Scatter Amplifier does have a blank tooltip.

Another thing to note: ballistic point defense systems have a very hard time locking on to fighters and missiles due to the threeDimensionalTargeting mechanic (beam based PD doesn't have this issue). I've played around in the simulator with vulcan, flak and machine gun PDs and they seem to lock on and off repeatedly without ever firing. I suspect this is due to the jinkable factor making autoaim hard/near impossible to hit tiny fast moving targets.

I've changed the threeDimensionalTargeting to false in the settings.json to fix this and now everything seems to engage and fire correctly. However, in the next patch I would try to give more leeway for PD systems to engage and fire on small targets.

Again, amazing mod and I hope to see more in the future!

turtlebacons

• Ensign
  • Long live the lion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 20, 2023, 06:10:45 PM »

hi liral, i wrote this in starship legends as well, but i suspect this mod conflicts with that mod since it's the only mod that overhauls damage percentages and the like

this is what i wrote in the last paragraph in the post: "none of the battles register, they happen but when i see the battle log it shows as if none of my ships did any damage or receive any, it only logs when a ship is destroyed and this is extremely annoying as i will quickly get insubordinate crews and negative buffs."

i may be completely wrong on this mod conflicting, but i mean it's my only suspect at the moment

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 20, 2023, 09:54:03 PM »

Hey, Liral. I'm trying to resolve the issue turtlebacons recently brought to my attention (as described above). I was hoping your DamageReportManagerV1 class would be a good solution, but I'm having trouble getting getDamageReports to return anything other than an empty list. I suspect that I'm not using the class as intended. Would you be kind enough to explain the correct usage to me? Feel free to PM me here or on Discord (Sundog#3161) if you'd prefer to keep this thread clean.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 22, 2023, 04:25:07 PM »

Hi Liral, just wanted to say that this mod is amazing and is exactly what I'm looking for. Even small skirmishes feel epic now when your PDCs fire off and shred incoming missiles while you trade salvos.
Wooooo, thank you!  I'm glad you enjoy Realistic Combat!  ;D

Here's a few things I wanted to note for others using this mod and some feedback:
The tooltip for the High Scatter Amplifier does have a blank tooltip.

Fixed!  Hotfix 1.22.7 is out!  High Scatter Amplifier Tooltip no longer hidden.  Was not intended to be hidden to begin with.

Another thing to note: ballistic point defense systems have a very hard time locking on to fighters and missiles due to the threeDimensionalTargeting mechanic (beam based PD doesn't have this issue). I've played around in the simulator with vulcan, flak and machine gun PDs and they seem to lock on and off repeatedly without ever firing. I suspect this is due to the jinkable factor making autoaim hard/near impossible to hit tiny fast moving targets.

I've changed the threeDimensionalTargeting to false in the settings.json to fix this and now everything seems to engage and fire correctly. However, in the next patch I would try to give more leeway for PD systems to engage and fire on small targets.

Still working on this because I don't know how the Three Dimensional Targeting prevents them from firing.  I wish I could see what those weapons see, somehow.  Maybe Dev Mode would help.

Again, amazing mod and I hope to see more in the future!

Again, thanks!

hi liral, i wrote this in starship legends as well, but i suspect this mod conflicts with that mod since it's the only mod that overhauls damage percentages and the like

this is what i wrote in the last paragraph in the post: "none of the battles register, they happen but when i see the battle log it shows as if none of my ships did any damage or receive any, it only logs when a ship is destroyed and this is extremely annoying as i will quickly get insubordinate crews and negative buffs."

i may be completely wrong on this mod conflicting, but i mean it's my only suspect at the moment

Hey, Liral. I'm trying to resolve the issue turtlebacons recently brought to my attention (as described above). I was hoping your DamageReportManagerV1 class would be a good solution, but I'm having trouble getting getDamageReports to return anything other than an empty list. I suspect that I'm not using the class as intended. Would you be kind enough to explain the correct usage to me? Feel free to PM me here or on Discord (Sundog#3161) if you'd prefer to keep this thread clean.

NickXR of Detailed Combat Results wrote DamageReportManagerV1, which I slightly modified, for this purpose to establish compatibility with Realistic Combat, the source code of which uses the class in listeners/DamageModel.java, scripts/DamageReportManagerV1.java, and scripts/DamageReportV1.java.  We had thought that someone else might use the class one day, and I am happy to learn that you would like to.  Accordingly, you might not be the last, so perhaps the three of us should document how to use the class in its code.

I will post this comment in the DetailedCombatResults thread.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:30:49 PM by Liral »

Baltimus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.22.7
« Reply #655 on: January 25, 2023, 10:10:02 AM »

Hey Liral,

I like the mod, but I have an issue when pursuing ships. The fleeing ships fire missiles, which hit my ships before I'm even given the control of the ship (I can't even activate the shield before I'm hit), is this normal?

DrBorg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 27, 2023, 01:23:35 PM »

Hey Liral,

I like the mod, but I have an issue when pursuing ships. The fleeing ships fire missiles, which hit my ships before I'm even given the control of the ship (I can't even activate the shield before I'm hit), is this normal?

I get that too; I have the workarounds with that. the strategy is wait it out such as let them run little bit more before deploying so the ships can burn in with enough space for it to finish and react. Also I use frigates/Arma fighters to attack from the sides at the start to draw them away or engage first.

Also, Liral. I have downloaded your mod as it should be updated 1.22.7. But the mod loader and looking into the mod file. it is listed 1.22.6.

Secondly, I'm not sure if it's the issue with 1.22.6 or so. But in the battles, I do often encounter invincible ships. mostly found on the enemy side. It wasn't really always found with modded ships but with vanilla ships. I wonder how or what really causes that to have zero hull, normal CR like nothing affected. And sometimes the shields on them are invisible. But they cannot be killed. I have the cheat mod that allows me to do the nuke command and kill command to fix that. I have tried to smite them, and they remain untouched, soft locking the battle. Even if I turn them to allies. it doesn't end the game, so I'm just stuck losing my ships to it.

Potassium Nitrate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 29, 2023, 12:52:08 PM »

Y'know, high intensity lasers are pretty damn good, better than tachyon lances. Higher range, better damage, and low flux cost. You could probably run a wolfpack of high intensity laser sunderers into the endgame. I even beat those doritos in the hypershunt with them - albiet with a bit of fighter support.

Great mod comrade, grand work.

OneStepp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 03, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »

Rift Cascade Emitter got 2340 range, is it intentional? Seems too small.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:40:17 AM by OneStepp »

BaronJormungandr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 04, 2023, 03:56:36 PM »

Hey, I didn't properly read this thing so, I went ahead and made this thing here.

Do you think you could see anything about why I can't get RC to work at all?

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=26036.0
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 74