Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 281262 times)

palmtree219

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.3
« Reply #480 on: September 21, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »

The faq says
"Q: Why don't my guns shoot?
A: Non-missile projectile weapon on any ship can fire beyond range of the target selected by the autofire AI of that weapon or, if the weapon is in the selected weapon group, the captain of the ship whether AI or player."

I don't understand the answer. It says that non missiles can fire beyond the range of autofire AI, but how does that help me when my non missile weapons won't fire?

Having the same issue for both autofire and manual control, and I'm not sure that its that I'm missing something, since it seems more like a bug.  Missiles and beam weapons seem to work fine, but any other projectile weapons don't.  On occasion, projectile weapons will fire a single shot the first time they're used in a battle, but other than that, nothing.  I did get one to fire a burst when I used a beam weapon and swapped weapon groups to the projectile weapon while still using the beam weapon.  Haven't been able to do it a second time. Game is a fresh install of the most recent update.  Tested with no mods and had the same issue.

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2022, 07:35:37 AM »

Having the same issue for both autofire and manual control, and I'm not sure that its that I'm missing something, since it seems more like a bug.  Missiles and beam weapons seem to work fine, but any other projectile weapons don't.  On occasion, projectile weapons will fire a single shot the first time they're used in a battle, but other than that, nothing.  I did get one to fire a burst when I used a beam weapon and swapped weapon groups to the projectile weapon while still using the beam weapon.  Haven't been able to do it a second time. Game is a fresh install of the most recent update.  Tested with no mods and had the same issue.

Uh-oh!  If your guns were in range and on target (see FAQ "Why won't my guns shoot?") then this problem is a bug, to fix which I would need reproduction steps.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:38:28 AM by Liral »

xZarif

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:39 AM »

Hotfix 1.20.3 is out!  Disabled retreat messages because endlessly-displaying last hotfix has not fixed endless displaying.  Fixed a null-pointer exception in the retreat order method and the gun-locking code making some non-launcher projectile weapons spam and others lock up.  Expanded gun-locking to prevent firing non-launcher projectile weapons until and unless they are in range and on target, that is, pointed at the lead indicator.

Oh, we also have a new video in screenshots and videos if you'd care to watch... :D

Thank you for the update. With version 1.20.3, I'm still getting the same issue with the heavy blaster on the aurora (and fury) on autopilot. It does appear other weapons suffer from the same bug. The Mule (P) Standard Combat Freighter I ran simulation tests against also shoots it's flux up to 99% at the start of the engagement, before any weapon impacts. Hope this helps and thank you for the quick response.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 21, 2022, 08:27:20 AM »

Thank you for the update. With version 1.20.3, I'm still getting the same issue with the heavy blaster on the aurora (and fury) on autopilot. It does appear other weapons suffer from the same bug. The Mule (P) Standard Combat Freighter I ran simulation tests against also shoots it's flux up to 99% at the start of the engagement, before any weapon impacts. Hope this helps and thank you for the quick response.

D: It's still there?  It didn't happen when I tested before release, so I doubt I can reproduce it now.  I am trying to think of a cause but cannot imagine one.  I may need your help fixing this bug.

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 21, 2022, 10:11:04 AM »

im also still having problems manually shooting guns, same issue as the person above is saying except my turrets only fire on autofire, and i cant manually shoot them, but i can get them to rapidly fire and build up infinite flux by switching to them and holding click

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.2
« Reply #485 on: September 21, 2022, 11:45:36 AM »

Nice mod! Playing with it a bit and noticed my aurora instantly fills up the flux bar occasionally. Turns out it rapid fires its heavy blaster sometimes, while on autopilot. I can reproduce this by running a simulation, setting the ship to target the enemy ship, then unpausing. The autopilot rapid fires the heavy blaster and fully fills up its flux, to 99%. I have definitely noticed this happening on other ship with a heavy blaster. Not sure if this is a heavy blaster specific issue or if other weapons will also rapid fire. Hope this helps, thanks.

Image of reproducing bug: https://imgur.com/aFas1PX

In regards to overfluxing, I use Advanced Gunnery Control mod, which lets you give your ships AIs ground rules on how to operate its weapons!

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »

im also still having problems manually shooting guns, same issue as the person above is saying except my turrets only fire on autofire, and i cant manually shoot them, but i can get them to rapidly fire and build up infinite flux by switching to them and holding click

D: D: D: Does this bug happen even when they are on target?

xZarif

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2022, 12:15:52 PM »

Nice mod! Playing with it a bit and noticed my aurora instantly fills up the flux bar occasionally. Turns out it rapid fires its heavy blaster sometimes, while on autopilot. I can reproduce this by running a simulation, setting the ship to target the enemy ship, then unpausing. The autopilot rapid fires the heavy blaster and fully fills up its flux, to 99%. I have definitely noticed this happening on other ship with a heavy blaster. Not sure if this is a heavy blaster specific issue or if other weapons will also rapid fire. Hope this helps, thanks.

Image of reproducing bug: https://imgur.com/aFas1PX

In regards to overfluxing, I use Advanced Gunnery Control mod, which lets you give your ships AIs ground rules on how to operate its weapons!

I do use that mod, but the overfluxing is from a bug. Certain weapons are rapid firing beyond their stats. Heavy blasters aren't supposed to fire like a minigun-- see my screenshot.

D: It's still there?  It didn't happen when I tested before release, so I doubt I can reproduce it now.  I am trying to think of a cause but cannot imagine one.  I may need your help fixing this bug.

Hmm if there's a way I can help, let me know! I just tested with a new game, only mods installed are this one and Nex (with dependencies). Loaded up with an aurora heavy blaster - same issue on autopilot.

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 21, 2022, 12:47:15 PM »

D: D: D: Does this bug happen even when they are on target?

im not sure what you mean, they only fire when i select a different weapon and let autofire take over, but i can still manually aim and fire lasers and missiles, like i just did a sim against a brawler gunship and it shot both its arbalest cannons 10 times each and instantly destroyed my ship, so i think ai have this burstfire nug as well, but on my ship i cant fire any weapon that seems to have a kinetic projectile, ir pulse lasers, ion cannons, autocannons, i cant fire any of them myself

palmtree219

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 21, 2022, 01:23:48 PM »

Uh-oh!  If your guns were in range and on target (see FAQ "Why won't my guns shoot?") then this problem is a bug, to fix which I would need reproduction steps.

To be clear, when testing yesterday, I did have the enemy targeted, my weapons were in range, and the target was within their firing arc.  Point defense weapons also did not fire at any missiles when testing. 

Anyways... I went to go reproduce yesterday's issue and record what was happening, but before I did that I turned the mod off then on again.  Now autofire and manual fire works for every weapon and things work perfectly... I also did that yesterday but still had issues.

Not entirely sure what was causing the issue in the first place, but I'm glad that it works now. 

Been messing around in game since and I'm loving how this mod changes gameplay.  Keep up the good work.

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 21, 2022, 01:32:46 PM »

i tried what the person above did even disabling, loading in, exiting the game and then enabling and restarting, and manual fire only worked when the mod was disabled

edit: tried turning off modifyweaponspecs but it just made the range smaller, and i also dont even see a lead indicator...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:45:52 PM by spazza »

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2022, 01:48:12 PM »

it just started randomly working, i cant even

as long as it stays that way i guess i dont mind

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 21, 2022, 01:50:37 PM »

I do use that mod, but the overfluxing is from a bug. Certain weapons are rapid firing beyond their stats. Heavy blasters aren't supposed to fire like a minigun-- see my screenshot.

Hmm if there's a way I can help, let me know! I just tested with a new game, only mods installed are this one and Nex (with dependencies). Loaded up with an aurora heavy blaster - same issue on autopilot.

Oops, I had tested the Aurora against an Atlas and seen nothing wrong, but now testing it against a Mule (P) as you did has finally reproduced the bug!  I increased how many frames fire was held from 2 to 10, but the bug persisted, so I tried 60, which fixed it but seemed long, so I tried 15, which returned the bug, so I tried 60 again to ensure it was not still happening at 60, and then 30, and finally 20, which seems like what I'll release as a hotfix.

im not sure what you mean, they only fire when i select a different weapon and let autofire take over, but i can still manually aim and fire lasers and missiles, like i just did a sim against a brawler gunship and it shot both its arbalest cannons 10 times each and instantly destroyed my ship, so i think ai have this burstfire nug as well, but on my ship i cant fire any weapon that seems to have a kinetic projectile, ir pulse lasers, ion cannons, autocannons, i cant fire any of them myself

When you were testing, had you selected a weapon group and fired it manually, did the weapon not fire even once you had put the thin pair of aiming lines of the weapon through the red lead indicator circle near the target?

To be clear, when testing yesterday, I did have the enemy targeted, my weapons were in range, and the target was within their firing arc.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation--this bug is as frustrating to me as to you  >:(--I'm glad to get some more information!  When you were testing, had you selected a weapon group and fired it manually, did the weapon not fire even once you had put the thin pair of aiming lines of the weapon through the red lead indicator circle near the target?

Point defense weapons also did not fire at any missiles when testing. 

That is worrisome.  I must investigate.

Anyways... I went to go reproduce yesterday's issue and record what was happening, but before I did that I turned the mod off then on again.  Now autofire and manual fire works for every weapon and things work perfectly... I also did that yesterday but still had issues.

Not entirely sure what was causing the issue in the first place, but I'm glad that it works now. 

I'm relieved your game works fine now, but wat?   :o  This bug is becoming downright elusive.

Been messing around in game since and I'm loving how this mod changes gameplay.  Keep up the good work.

Ayyyyyy, thank you so much!   :D  This mod is a joy to work on, and much of that joy is seeing players enjoy it.

i tried what the person above did even disabling, loading in, exiting the game and then enabling and restarting, and manual fire only worked when the mod was disabled

edit: tried turning off modifyweaponspecs but it just made the range smaller, and i also dont even see a lead indicator...

it just started randomly working, i cant even

as long as it stays that way i guess i dont mind

I will now release a hotfix to, I hope, possibly fix this problem.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.4
« Reply #493 on: September 21, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »

Hotfix 1.20.4 is out!  Fixed the burst-fire bug.

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.4
« Reply #494 on: September 21, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »

regarding borked gun ranges generally and on fighters

generally: guns from various mods have odd numbers, heres some examples
"Philip Andras Gas Station Manager" Syndrian Diktat mod guns have weird ranges, but they are still workable I guess
then there "Neutrino Corporation: Nostalgia Edition" guns that are all inbetween <1000 to 5000 which is very bad.
That is except this Pulsar Cannon and Magnetar Burster PD thing that has what 30k range or so lol
Then there is guns from "Amazigh's Ship Foundry", Kabid Volley gun has 40k range, Kufikiri Smartgun has 467 range, among others
"Stop Gap Measures" Heavy Mining Beam has 2415 range
"Ship/Weapon Pack" Light Phase Lance has 1985 range (regular vanilla Phase lance also has unusable 2628 range. I get lower range for high damage beam, but the stats arent that good to varrant such a low range. if you have a gun with 1/4th the damage, but 4x the range, it will be better since it engages earlier and can do more damage while also not needing to get into dangerous range. I had phase lances on a ship and it was a phase one that could get close, but the burst damage wasnt even strong enough to scratch shields.)
"Tahlan Shipworks" basically all Great Houses weaponry has 2-4x the range guns normally have

and theres a bunch of others, its just hard to pick them out manually
Seems the mod compability isnt quite there yet for properly adjusting stuff from modded guns (just as many mod guns have reasonable range though!)

Regarding the Fighters, also hard to give you specifics cause screenshotting and alt+shift+S are so buggy in Starsector its a major pain in the head.
basic vanilla Talon Wing LPC has 8000 range vulcan cannon, and 12000 engagement range. so effectively 20k force projection with a wing of Talons having a combined 4x Vulcans, needing 2 OP to slot. Talon also has 625 speed. Meanwhile slotting a single vulcan on a frigate would cost 4 OP.
Vanilla Mining Pod LPC has no engagement range, so the 4x mining beams with 6880 range are not as busted as the talon for example, but its still 0 OP cost slotting and 0 engagement rang emeans they fly around the mothership. so thats 4 free mining beams for PD for 0 OP, while using ship hardpoints would cost you 8 OP.
Vanilla Peridition Bomber LPC has 12000 engagement range, but can shoot its hammer torpedo from 13200 range and is a wing of 3. at least it has 20 OP, but afaik fighters return to ship for rearming, and with hammer range > engagement range, they can just come out, shoot 3 torpedos, return to ship. Kinda hmmmm.
all "Neutrino Corp" LPCs look like they have vanilla <1000 ranges.
etc.

I feel like LPCs should have fire ranges maybe in the 1000-4000 range or so, warranting them flying fast and far, but needing to step up more. but not sub 1000 cause then they are so close its like a swarm of mosquitos harassing a ship. But then again maybe thats how they should be? I don't know really since I only played with your mod basically :D
LPCs definitely feel off atm though, and numbers are all across the board.
One step at a time :)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74