Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 275025 times)

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.8.0
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2022, 10:24:50 AM »

Expanding on this, a successful citadel hit should massively compromise a ship's ability to fight, given what's usually guarded by the citadel. Conversely, hitting compartments shouldn't really do much beyond somewhat degrade the ship's capabilities. This could be represented by the minor CR decay you mentioned, but right now there's nothing that makes citadel hits more serious other than more damage, and a ship at 1 hp shoots and flies just as well as one at full.

The CR decay begins slowly but quickly ramps up, eventually bringing the ship to 0 CR at low health.

Is it possible to modify the way damage is applied to weapons and engines? It would be neat if they could only be disabled by citadel hits, or if citadel hits disabled the for way longer than partial penetrations.

I wonder how I might do that...

You could even have particularly nasty hits result in critical malfunctions,

...and that...

although I'd really prefer if you didn't.

...too late, already liking the idea!   ;D

Having now checked the API and read the relevant blog post, I think applying critical malfunctions for citadel hits is exactly the right idea.  I would have to adjust the damage model, though!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:33:49 AM by Liral »

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.9.0
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2022, 09:38:19 PM »

I know I gush about this mod a lot, probably too much, but I like it a lot. I would like to notate somethings I continue to notice and like about it

+I am actually using energy projectile weapons now. Autopulse and other pulse weapons have a much greater bite to them now that they actually fly like bullets. Thermal pulse cannons have never been more impressive. I sometimes even use them in preference to beams, though
+Beams' much greater range owing to their diffraction turns battles into laser raves. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT. I LOVE THE LASER RAVES. It conveys the vast scale of the battlespace and the sheer speed of what the beam is composed of very well. It feels like space.
+I greatly appreciate the diminished emphasis on ranges for weapons. Mostly everything has a good enough range on it that it having slightly less of a reach than its competitors will not lead me to discount a cool or interesting weapon. Those twin anumis superheavies my pocket dreadnought just fired might have just missed their target but for the first time in this game Isaac Newton is finally the DEADLIEST SON OF A *** IN SPACE because you can be sure they're going to hit something at some point. It just gives these giant cannons a tangibility and mass that I don't get from the vanilla game.
+Missiles have speed. They don't mosey along like your grandpa's buick at five miles an hour. They are moving with a purpose and they ARE COMING TO KILL YOU. They feel terrifying and impossible and everything missiles should be and I love them so much. I love my annihilators. They are my babies.
+I know it's been causing some problems but I really like the increased range of small and medium mounts. It makes vulcans and flak cannons and other weapons I once considered mundane seem different or in a new light.

For these reasons and many many others... I'm never playing without this mod again. The only complaint I really have right now is that at least some guided missiles still need some fine tuning due to earlier problems of them swarming around their targets until they run out of fuel persisting in at least one instance, Tahlan's fount swarmer. However the coherence of this mod with so many other mods is very impressive to me and I am so very grateful it continues to be refined and supported 

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2022, 11:30:51 PM »

Here's an idea I thought of while considering the proposed armor changes:

Could range be a considered factor in armor penetration calculations?

Considering that an enemy ship at very far range, but still in hit range would still be taking evasive maneuvers, and trying to get projectiles to land on the stronger parts of its armor, I think it would be reasonable to have armor be stronger nearing the end of a weapon's range. This would reduce the effectiveness of kiting to a small degree, and really be a similar effect to how hit angle changes armor calculations (it could be imagined as essentially the same effect, just "unseen").

Explaining the idea a different way:

If a shot were coming at my ship, and I didn't have enough time to strafe completely out of the way, I could still rotate/strafe my ship such that the shot lands on the stronger part of my armor. At close range, this could not be done, as the shots would be coming too quickly.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.7.1
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2022, 12:08:27 AM »

Is it possible to track time in flight for a projectile, maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion: I love it when people give me ideas!  I've now checked the DamagingProjectileAPI page in the Starsector API and found just such a method: getElapsed().  I could use this method to determine, at impact, whether a ship could have jinked a projectile.  The next trick would be either spawning a new projectile far enough down-range of the impact point not to be inside the ship, at the right time no less, or spawning one in the same place with an effect letting it 'slide under' or 'slide over' the passing ship.

That would be super cool.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2022, 03:52:57 AM »

I know I gush about this mod a lot, probably too much, but I like it a lot. I would like to notate somethings I continue to notice and like about it

I read and enjoy every piece of happy feedback!  ;D

+I am actually using energy projectile weapons now. Autopulse and other pulse weapons have a much greater bite to them now that they actually fly like bullets. Thermal pulse cannons have never been more impressive. I sometimes even use them in preference to beams, though

Energy projectile weapons are now no longer the mediocre alternative to ballistic ones!  :)

+Beams' much greater range owing to their diffraction turns battles into laser raves. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT. I LOVE THE LASER RAVES. It conveys the vast scale of the battlespace and the sheer speed of what the beam is composed of very well. It feels like space.

I hadn't intended for this to happen when integrating this feature into Realistic Combat for the very first time but was thrilled to discover it happening when I started playtesting!

+I greatly appreciate the diminished emphasis on ranges for weapons. Mostly everything has a good enough range on it that it having slightly less of a reach than its competitors will not lead me to discount a cool or interesting weapon. Those twin anumis superheavies my pocket dreadnought just fired might have just missed their target but for the first time in this game Isaac Newton is finally the DEADLIEST SON OF A *** IN SPACE because you can be sure they're going to hit something at some point. It just gives these giant cannons a tangibility and mass that I don't get from the vanilla game.

Yes!  No more projectiles just going poof and disappearing.

+Missiles have speed. They don't mosey along like your grandpa's buick at five miles an hour. They are moving with a purpose and they ARE COMING TO KILL YOU. They feel terrifying and impossible and everything missiles should be and I love them so much. I love my annihilators. They are my babies.

YES!  This is exactly what I had intended.  Missiles are angry.

+I know it's been causing some problems but I really like the increased range of small and medium mounts. It makes vulcans and flak cannons and other weapons I once considered mundane seem different or in a new light.

Real small and large weapons turn out to have muzzle velocities in the same ballpark!

For these reasons and many many others... I'm never playing without this mod again.

:) :) :) Thank you so much!  I was totally hoping to make Realistic Combat a mod of which people think, "Yeah, lemme just download this and then get on to the content mods.  It just makes Starsector and all of them better."  :) :) :)

The only complaint I really have right now is that at least some guided missiles still need some fine tuning due to earlier problems of them swarming around their targets until they run out of fuel persisting in at least one instance, Tahlan's fount swarmer.

They still do this?  Maaaan.  I'll increase their max turn rate and turn acceleration again.

However the coherence of this mod with so many other mods is very impressive to me and I am so very grateful it continues to be refined and supported

Yep!  It's designed to be compatible with every mod.  I have a whole bunch of features left to implement, so there should be more patches coming.

Draconas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2022, 07:31:14 AM »

Been really enjoying this so far, it gives armor meta a reason, and allows different play style because of it should it be wanted.

only a few gripes so far;

-Crashing when some weapons fire/ricochet. I have yet to find the weapon that has been doing this to me, I think its Vanilla (or mainstay like Nex or Yunru, not sure)
-The fact the mod is set to TotalConversion=True by default. This means every time an update comes (and they are coming fast, which is great when they fix quite a few important things each time!), I forget to remove the True flagwhich causes issues when changing mods up to play with this one. Per your last reply if its designed to work with all mods, can it not be set as TotalConversion=True be default?
-As much as I love watching smaller fleets just evaporate to 20ish Valken Ex wings at start of battle, the super range beam sword thing does need to be addressed.

Can't think of any others off hand, but will add another post if it comes up.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2022, 09:50:12 PM »

Been really enjoying this so far, it gives armor meta a reason, and allows different play style because of it should it be wanted.

Woooo, thanks!  I'm glad to see another happy user.

only a few gripes so far;

-Crashing when some weapons fire/ricochet. I have yet to find the weapon that has been doing this to me, I think its Vanilla (or mainstay like Nex or Yunru, not sure)

I'll add better crash reporting next patch.

-The fact the mod is set to TotalConversion=True by default. This means every time an update comes (and they are coming fast, which is great when they fix quite a few important things each time!), I forget to remove the True flagwhich causes issues when changing mods up to play with this one. Per your last reply if its designed to work with all mods, can it not be set as TotalConversion=True be default?

It annoys me too, especially to see it bother users, and was not my idea.  The other modders insisted because this mod can affect how theirs work, and they don't want people coming to them for tech support that was caused by my mod.

-As much as I love watching smaller fleets just evaporate to 20ish Valken Ex wings at start of battle, the super range beam sword thing does need to be addressed.

I have no clue how to fix that soon.

Can't think of any others off hand, but will add another post if it comes up.

I look forward to it!

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2022, 01:15:01 AM »

That's understandable, I figured that simulating this property would cause some problems and even if you treated each cell (or box as they appear to the player) as its own entity, that could complicate things immensely with how many variables would go into it and the shear number of cells you would need to treat

It's easier than it looks if simplified.  The ArmorGridAPI provide a method that returns the cell edge length in pixel edge lengths, squaring which returns an area in pixels, which can be divided by the area of an armor plate to return the number of plates, which can be associated with an armor level in the cell, which penetrations of the total armor would reduce accordingly.

For example, consider an armor cell with a value of 12 and size of 8: its area would be 64 pixels.  Suppose an armor plate were 1 square meter, or 16 pixels.  That armor cell would therefore have 4 plates, each of which would represent 0.25 of the armor level.  A shot with enough damage to penetrate the total armor of the ship struck this cell would randomly generate a number between 0 and 1, compare that number to the cell level, which we will assume to be 1, conclude that it has struck an undamaged plate of the cell and therefore destroy the plate by reduce the value of the cell by 0.25 x value or 3 points.

The neat numbers I picked aside, how would such an approach suit simulating armor fatigue?

Super cool ideas, this would be a way to re-introduce armor damage into the game in a less-significant way, which is something I was concerned about. I always thought it was cool how high-damage weapons can "open the door" for less high damage weapons to start doing damage. I would be happy if this could be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:09:26 AM by Digganob »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2022, 05:34:04 AM »

Super cool ideas, this would be re-introduce armor damage into the game in a less-significant way, which is something I was concerned about. I always thought it was cool how high-damage weapons can "open the door" for less high damage weapons to start doing damage. I would be happy if this could be implemented.

The trouble I see with the idea is that a ship would have to survive multiple hits to its citadel and only then have less effective armor, and only on that one cell.  For example, the Hammerhead has 500 armor and 5,000 hull.  In just ten citadel hits, the Hammerhead would be destroyed, and the armor fatigue would be irrelevant.

Draconas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »

I think someone was right about the Project Taffeta, I think the shrapnel is appearing inside the ship. Just had a cruiser with 3 equipped Project Taffeta's pen my angled shield Shunted super armored Bishamonten (Musashi) and insta kill me. Funny thing was i was in tactical view momentarily when they hit, and I could see the shots ricocheting inside shipwreck very rapidly causing ridiculous damage numbers. I tried hitting fleet again and and sending my other ships into fight while spectating nothing (testing) and that lead to an interesting result. It was almost like the game couldn't handle showing the ricochets on screen but when it happens off screen to other ships the game continues.

Video of said explosion of Castigator in that fleet test. game handled it fine as this was about 10 seconds after its death, filmed it as I dragged camera back over Castigator, and you can see how frames ground to halt due to massive number of projectiles ricocheting inside wreck.
https://youtu.be/SJuFsY50E9w

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.10.0
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »

Patch 1.10.0 is out!  Added projectile and missile indicators that appear when the player zooms out.  Added text informing the reader about some relevant in-game information that may relate to the causes crashes to crash reports.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2022, 07:37:52 PM »

I think someone was right about the Project Taffeta, I think the shrapnel is appearing inside the ship. Just had a cruiser with 3 equipped Project Taffeta's pen my angled shield Shunted super armored Bishamonten (Musashi) and insta kill me. Funny thing was i was in tactical view momentarily when they hit, and I could see the shots ricocheting inside shipwreck very rapidly causing ridiculous damage numbers. I tried hitting fleet again and and sending my other ships into fight while spectating nothing (testing) and that lead to an interesting result. It was almost like the game couldn't handle showing the ricochets on screen but when it happens off screen to other ships the game continues.

Video of said explosion of Castigator in that fleet test. game handled it fine as this was about 10 seconds after its death, filmed it as I dragged camera back over Castigator, and you can see how frames ground to halt due to massive number of projectiles ricocheting inside wreck.

I'm having this problem

Bud_p

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »

Bug report
Code
576929 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\ShipDirectionMarker (ShipDirectionMarker.ini)]
576930 [Thread-3] INFO  data.scripts.plugins.aEP_LocalData  - aEP_LocalData_init
576934 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
576936 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
596421 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.getEnergyTriangles(ProjectileIndicators.java:177)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderIndicator(ProjectileIndicators.java:259)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderInUICoords(ProjectileIndicators.java:287)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2022, 09:07:16 PM »

NullPointer on Indicator pip; game crashes when I try to pan the camera on an enemy ship.

Code
477175 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.glColor(ProjectileIndicators.java:195)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderIndicator(ProjectileIndicators.java:265)

Draconas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2022, 09:08:10 PM »

Bug report
Code
576929 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\ShipDirectionMarker (ShipDirectionMarker.ini)]
576930 [Thread-3] INFO  data.scripts.plugins.aEP_LocalData  - aEP_LocalData_init
576934 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
576936 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
596421 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.getEnergyTriangles(ProjectileIndicators.java:177)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderIndicator(ProjectileIndicators.java:259)

With newest update I too see this occasionally, when i moved back to 1.10.0 i stopped getting it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74