Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 309951 times)

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.2.1
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2022, 07:59:21 PM »

Just gave it a try and got my end-game fleet utterly destroyed by a pirate bounty.Still thoroughly enjoy the much larger engagement range. ;D

Thank you for trying Realistic Combat!  I'm glad you enjoy the longer engagement range: I think it makes the combat feel more like it's happening in space!  Wow, I wasn't expecting the balance to be changed as much as it was: tell me how the pirates won!

I'm still on my way to figure out the new "meta" but I have noticed some fighter/interceptor are dealing insane amount of kinetic damage with their fast firing weapon. Is there any change made to compensate the increased fire rate (and DPS) or is this a bug? I don't think a pair of interceptor wing is supposed to completely suppress a battleship's shield.

I've noticed and worried about fast-firing kinetic weapons on fighters suppressing shields and just hoped they wouldn't be a problem, but they evidently seem to be now that I have given fighters more range. 

The next patch will prevent every weapon on every fighter from reloading.

Snow_Snarck

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2022, 10:04:19 PM »

Longer engangement range and changed mobility parameters are a true miracle (dueling two Conquests exchanging broadsides is very tasty), but the changed weapon parameters feel very strange and not always pleasant, for my taste. Every automatic weapon now fires like a gsh-6-30 on steroids mixed with Adderall, every "accurate" cannon is now virtually useless due to a broken target lead and ridiculous DPS (fr exmpl, DME Cryophase autoguns is now delete ship shields from universe, when kinetic shellhead do literally nothing in combad except drainin my flux). And it doesn't feel very pleasant to fight in large battles, when the whole game feels like you have SpeedUp's x2 enabled by default and every ship has a MHM SplitChamber. It's all very twitchy. And fast missiles with ECCM just teleports in target.

But I am sure that these are all solvable problems, the direction that the mod gives the game I really like.

Oh, and the minimal combat UI is fantastic, I wonder if it can be used on its own?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:10:21 PM by Snow_Snarck »

WARGAMES

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2022, 11:11:10 PM »

I just wanna give a few comments.  how ever it's near 2am.  while I liked a lot how the mod could be and sounds like it'd revamp weapon damage to armor ratio at angles.  I can't stand sweeping changes to weapons from ammo, rate of fire, range, accuracy, ammo reload rate ect with no balancing between weapons. as is since I heavily use some 120+ mods, this is unusable for myself.

what I would consider enticing in this idea of mod:  if there were a Lite version of the mod that tried to work with other mods to integrate the armor/damage calculation, no fog of war, combat map size increase(as it is), mini-map, multiplied vanilla weapon ranges by 3x(so it would work with modded weapons too), maybe a missile range boost of 3x and their speed by 3x to get there in same amount of time as vanilla, fighter ranges multiplied by 3x and their speed, ship speed(100% faster) with maneuverability reduced(by percentage25%).  then it would be trying to expand the battle size without forcing flat sweeping changes that require rebalancing every weapon again.

but it's your mod to do as you like.  I am still interested in it's progress and what becomes of it.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2022, 04:46:48 AM »

Longer engangement range and changed mobility parameters are a true miracle (dueling two Conquests exchanging broadsides is very tasty), but the changed weapon parameters feel very strange and not always pleasant, for my taste. Every automatic weapon now fires like a gsh-6-30 on steroids mixed with Adderall, every "accurate" cannon is now virtually useless due to a broken target lead and ridiculous DPS (fr exmpl, DME Cryophase autoguns is now delete ship shields from universe, when kinetic shellhead do literally nothing in combad except drainin my flux). And it doesn't feel very pleasant to fight in large battles, when the whole game feels like you have SpeedUp's x2 enabled by default and every ship has a MHM SplitChamber. It's all very twitchy. And fast missiles with ECCM just teleports in target.

But I am sure that these are all solvable problems, the direction that the mod gives the game I really like.

Oh, and the minimal combat UI is fantastic, I wonder if it can be used on its own?

Thanks for playing Realistic Combat, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the longer ranges!  I will add toggles for each feature and maybe even break the mod into pieces.  I don't know how to fix target leading yet because both the leading indicator code I borrowed from LazyWizard and the AI tell ships to aim at the same consistently-wrong place.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2022, 04:49:12 AM »

I just wanna give a few comments.  how ever it's near 2am.  while I liked a lot how the mod could be and sounds like it'd revamp weapon damage to armor ratio at angles.  I can't stand sweeping changes to weapons from ammo, rate of fire, range, accuracy, ammo reload rate ect with no balancing between weapons. as is since I heavily use some 120+ mods, this is unusable for myself.

what I would consider enticing in this idea of mod:  if there were a Lite version of the mod that tried to work with other mods to integrate the armor/damage calculation, no fog of war, combat map size increase(as it is), mini-map, multiplied vanilla weapon ranges by 3x(so it would work with modded weapons too), maybe a missile range boost of 3x and their speed by 3x to get there in same amount of time as vanilla, fighter ranges multiplied by 3x and their speed, ship speed(100% faster) with maneuverability reduced(by percentage25%).  then it would be trying to expand the battle size without forcing flat sweeping changes that require rebalancing every weapon again.

but it's your mod to do as you like.  I am still interested in it's progress and what becomes of it.

Woooooo, I'm glad you've played and enjoyed Realistic Combat!  I'll add a toggle for each mod feature in the upcoming patch.

lyravega

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »

Good job mate =)

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2022, 10:03:43 AM »

Good job mate =)

Awwwww.... thank you so much!  I couldn't have done it without you. :)

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.3.0
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2022, 07:41:09 PM »

Patch 1.3.0 is out!

Autofire now on target!
Beams now deal damage!
Refire delay changes removed!
Ammo limits removed from ballistic cannons!

Zerias

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2022, 08:17:55 PM »

Can confirm, beams online! And wow does this change the Paragon. Even with High Scatter Amplifier reducing it, the massive range boosts overall turn it from a fleet anchor forced to choose between long range soft flux or a close range sluggish brawler, into a proper sniper/artillery capable of deleting non-capitals with impunity. Just the way I like it. Well done, looking forward to seeing how this mod evolves, meanwhile I'm gonna go start a new run.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »

Can confirm, beams online! And wow does this change the Paragon. Even with High Scatter Amplifier reducing it, the massive range boosts overall turn it from a fleet anchor forced to choose between long range soft flux or a close range sluggish brawler, into a proper sniper/artillery capable of deleting non-capitals with impunity. Just the way I like it. Well done, looking forward to seeing how this mod evolves, meanwhile I'm gonna go start a new run.

Wooo, thanks for giving it another try!  Yes, the Paragon can now zap just about any cruiser or smaller now.  I should think about how hullmods will interact with Realistic Combat.  Wait, you're gonna do a campaign run with RC?  Yaaaay! :D

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2022, 08:10:22 AM »

I would note that weapons are actually doing damage now, in general. Specifically, for rebalance mods I always try the missions, and the first mission, the enemy mule was effectively invulnerable before.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »

I would note that weapons are actually doing damage now, in general. Specifically, for rebalance mods I always try the missions, and the first mission, the enemy mule was effectively invulnerable before.

Thanks for trying Realistic Combat!  Seeing someone play it is so rewarding!  I'm glad you like it.  I bugfixed and refactored a bunch to make it all work.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2022, 10:17:18 AM »

Honestly, the most impressive part is that it seems to have a way to dynamically alter weapons and ships, rather than doing them all manually. Sure, the alternate damage system, and projectile deflection is interesting, as is the dynamically changing range based on target size and speed, but the dynamic weapon alternations is the part I thought was impossible.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2022, 11:02:26 AM »

Honestly, the most impressive part is that it seems to have a way to dynamically alter weapons and ships, rather than doing them all manually. Sure, the alternate damage system, and projectile deflection is interesting, as is the dynamically changing range based on target size and speed, but the dynamic weapon alternations is the part I thought was impossible.

Thank lyravega for that: he created a workflow and tools to create wrappers that safely access the obfuscated ship and weapon specifications behind the API.  Fortunately for the stability of this mod and ability for others to do as it does, I have since learned that Alex plans to include these features in the next update.

MedwedxXx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2022, 12:38:19 PM »

so far i also like it. the only thing (maybe only for me?) that is strange is, that the rockets/missiles fly with lightspeed (for example the missiles from the ed shipyard mod). they are that fast, that they surround the ship and only hit it, if it fly fast to an another point (or is big enough). is that normal or do i have change something?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76