Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you build the mora?  (Read 4173 times)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
How do you build the mora?
« on: June 26, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »

I picked it up when I first played the game and didn't like it, but I want to try it again. The consensus seems to be that the mora is pretty strong so I'm wondering how you guys build it.
TL;DR deez nuts

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build the mora?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 07:39:41 PM »

As a carrier?  Yeah, it's stronger than the Heron.  It won't get taken out as quickly, and it can hold out long enough to be helped in a pinch.

The build is usually minimum flux, though.  Throw the cheapest and trashiest weapons on it, with two Annihilator racks in the med slots.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »

I give it two railguns and a LAG for guns, two Typhoon Reapers for missiles, and Broadsword/Claw/Talon for fighters.  I put Vulcans on the side and rear mount, but I am not sure if they are needed.  I use ITU for hullmod.  Since I do not have Carrier Group, I try to squeeze Converted Hangar on it too.

Earlier in the game, when I do not have unlimited railguns, I use more Light Autocannons.  When I have better light kinetics, I leave some mounts empty.

With the +10 OP Mora got this release, it can be built as a battlecarrier even without s-mods.  I wished Heron got the +10 OP too.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 09:23:40 PM »

It makes for a nice tough battlecarrier with interceptors or medium fighters - the posted advice is good, though I have a special place in my heart for Safety Overides Mora builds (not honestly that good, but they are fun). Taking leadership skills is key for having carriers, its too big a power boost to give up imo. For pure carrier work the Heron is significantly better (30% maybe? Something like that) because it is fast and has a fighter damage boosting system, but if enemies do manage to catch it its fragile. Lots of late game enemies have nasty swarming frigates/teleporting battleships, so toughness is often better than speed. Though a Mora doesn't live very long vs a Tesseract cruiser or Radiant anyways, so its kind of moot at that stage. Handy for the frigates though!

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 10:28:47 PM »

Talons are super fragile so I'm curious why you run them when I would normally assume it's worth the extra 6 op for another broadsword.

When it comes to missiles, I find typhoons work great for player control, but in the AI's hands annihilators are better just because it actually uses them. Well that, and nothing kills the mood faster than watching your ships whiff a critical reaper shot.

I used to think there was no point to LACs but they actually have the same range as railguns and better flux efficiency. With such low base dissipation and like 5 mounts I can probably get more dps by running 4 LACs instead of 2 railguns, but once I have ordnance expertise I'll definitely upgrade to railguns (don't tell Alex, but OE counts fighters as weapons :-X).

SO mora sounds like a meme waiting to happen. Throw on a reckless officer and watch your carrier park itself right up their tailpipe.

Thanks for the ideas guys! They're mine now, and I will be pursuing legal action against anyone who uses them without my permission. Have a wonderfulâ„¢ day.
TL;DR deez nuts

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 12:18:01 PM »

The main reason to run some kind of interceptor over broadswords is if you are using your fighters to deal with enemy frigates specifically. The extra speed makes a big difference. Something like Gladius + Gladius + Claw is pretty nasty for example. Gladius + Talon + Talon is ok as well - 10 less OP but acceptable performance. The reason you really want at least 1 Gladius in interceptor groups is the flares: interceptors are fragile, so the flares pulling all PD fire away from the group makes a big difference in survivability. Its especially apparent vs remnants: sparks will fire all their burst PD charges at the flares on first contact, stopping them from just deleting your own wings with an alpha strike.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 03:32:18 PM »

Talons are super fragile so I'm curious why you run them when I would normally assume it's worth the extra 6 op for another broadsword.
Because OP budget (without s-mods) tends to be super tight, and Talons are economical and mildly effective for their cost.  If I get another Broadsword over Talon, I might need to downgrade that Railgun to a Light Autocannon or maybe use small Reapers instead of mediums because that OP needs to come from somewhere.  They regenerate fast and not as fragile (and expensive) as Wasps.  Also, they are common.  They provide some anti-armor that Broadswords (and Claws) lack.  Other fighters that have HE weapons cost at least 10 OP.  (Wasps' mines do not count.)

Back when Mora had 10 less OP, I used small Reapers or Hammers instead of Typhoon Reapers if I wanted a battlecarrier, or I left them unarmed and focused solely on fighters (or focused on fighters and campaign mods like Surveying Equipment).

The main reason to run some kind of interceptor over broadswords is if you are using your fighters to deal with enemy frigates specifically.
That is a reason why I use carriers at times even when I do not have Leadership skills, to seek and destroy the cowards that drag the fight longer than a filler anime episode with too much padding.

Sometimes, I bring carriers because I need to bring clunkers for Hull Restoration to fix, especially if those ships were recovered from the last fight and I get into another fight before I make it back home.  Also, Mora is good fodder for campaign mods like Surveying Equipment if I need them in the fleet.

P.S.  If I want to fight a battlestation, I may want carriers just to put more targets (their fighters) on the field so that the battlestation does not focus-fire as much on my warships and cause too much damage or kill them too quickly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 03:39:02 PM by Megas »

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 02:59:10 PM »

There isn't any carrier specific officer skills and only 2 carrier dmods that significantly affect damage output. With this in mind, if you get derelict operations and support doctrine, you can basically get half dp cost carriers that do almost the same amount of damage as pristine carriers. I think quintuple dmodded moras are where some of the hype is coming from.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:01:40 PM by itBeABruhMoment »

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 07:28:23 PM »

Fighters dont exactly need the fleet doctrine skills to survive and thrive.

Fighter Uplink confers a huge speed bonus if you run something like spark wings, where their 335 speed becomes 402, 435.5 with an officer, and so on. It has diminishing returns on the slower ships however, such as heavy bombers such as the cobra barely scrape 200 speed with it, so in some regards its a hit or miss skill depending on what kind of fighters you are running.

Carrier Group with expanded deck crew is very good though. Can never go wrong with speedy fighter replacement.

Though back to the question of the mora, if you are planning to make it your flagship, most of the combat skills are good for it, though I particularly recommend something like Helmsmanship, Ballistic Mastery, Target Analysis, Combat Endurance & Missile Specialization if you give it to an NPC officer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:11:25 PM by Salter »

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 08:41:47 PM »

One S-mod on EMR, ITU, Warthogs or Flashes in bays, single LACs mixed with Rails in frontals, couple of PCLs, and the secret spice is Ordnance Expertise perk on officer. The rest of the OP in max vents and caps.