Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Challenge: Describe Your Latest Custom Faction  (Read 1841 times)

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
Challenge: Describe Your Latest Custom Faction
« on: June 29, 2022, 09:25:11 AM »

Fellow starfarers!

I'm stuck.

I can't wait until the next patch drops, but at the same time, I don't want to "spoil" myself with another run. To kill the time before we get there, I devised a challenge for us:

Write a lore-friendly* description of your latest run's faction and the systems it controls, save it as a text file and attach it to your post (or just paste it in the box if you fancy looong posts :). In addition to that, score the previous poster's description on a 10 scale and say something you liked about it. ^^ Feel free to use my style as a template, or create a style of your own!

*alternatively, make it funny, but make sure it's really damn funny or it's the airlock for you >:(

[attachment deleted by admin]

prettyraddude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Describe Your Latest Custom Faction
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »

The Brutus Network is a pirate-affiliated revolutionary faction primarily composed of Aztlan dissidents fleeing Hegemony repression. Named after a famed resistance group that fought against an overwhelming enemy from Earth's ancient history. Its jungle homeworld of 'Villa' is in the Haddu Star System on the south-eastern tip of the Core-Worlds. While its ultimate goal is to reform the Hegemony it isn't afraid of getting its hands dirty by inciting rebellions on Hegemony colonies outside the core worlds. Many other factions within the Sector are either neutral or supportive of the Brutus Network's goals though some have been fearful of the Network's growing number of "Free Worlds" that dot the sector. Its goals have been made plain and are fairly simple as stated in its "Brutista Manifesto" which calls for "Shelter, Earth, Work, Food, Health, Education, Independence, Democracy, Freedom" which many consider impossible to grant but its supporters have argued have been applied fairly well across its "Free Worlds". The Brutus Network currently occupy three worlds with 'Villa' as its interstellar capital world.

TericAthnos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 05:55:12 AM »

Ul spira (Formerly republic of man)

is a corporate idealist faction founded by numenor after her successful theft of pristine nanoforge from kazeron. Pegasus (once known as Manila) was under the sindrian control until numenor discovored its location and conquered it from sindria. this began a long cycle of war that ended when united pamed, magellan and the ROM simultaneously attacked the core of diktat itself (pamed gets volturn, magellan gets the barren world while numenor gets the sindria who she immediately given up to hegemony control due to stability issues. it then become de civilized). the persean league tried to invade the faction so many times with no avail (they got cebu, now known as orion for a short amount of time) and signed a peace treaty with ROM who is now known as ul spira. it is the current member of greater hegemony despite some rumors and controversy regarding if they use ai cores or not

they are horrendously rich and people presumes its either because of the ai cores or the 2 nanoforge Ul spira has stolen from persean league and sindria. there are also rumors surrounding the faction about their discovery of one of the rare hypershunt.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 08:39:21 PM »

I usually have some degree of roleplay in my Starsector games, but my current one is the only one I've really leaned into, out of necessity due to the UNGP challenge I'm doing. (Also it let me be (more) evil for a change, teehee)
Playthrough inspired by a certain faction in the Chaos Galaxy series (cool indie strategy game).

Eastsector Company

The United Eastsector Company (Verenigde Oostsector Compagnie; VOC) is an integrated resources and trading enterprise, founded by explorer and freebooter Cornelis Kleven in c.208. After inheriting a massive fortune from an unidentified benefactor, Kleven sought to prove his ability to further build his wealth, and to (in his words, reputedly) "demonstrate economic dominance of the Sector". While governed from the rim planet of Batavia, the company's holdings are spread across no less than four systems in the southeastern Sector as it expanded its industry and exploited key resources.

Initially the business struggled to turn a profit, due to its distance from the core world markets and a lack of ideal colony candidates. Aggressive trading activity kept operations afloat while an immigration incentive program was carried out on marginal worlds and the management team was upskilled. By the end of c.213 the company's cash reserve exceeded that which it had started with.

The VOC is mistrusted by many of the established Sector factions, both due to its 'upstart' nature and (thus far unproven) allegations of smuggling, profiteering, collaboration with pirates, sabotage of commodity stockpiles to generate artificial shortages, armed robbery, and even outright piracy. Despite this, it (for a time) managed to avoid involvement in the internecine wars of the core worlds. In the Company's view, conflict is temporary, but supply and demand are eternal.

Postscript: The War of 214, while brief, caused significant damage to the Hegemony and forced a major revision in the VOC's military posture.

Star systems
Buyan: This single-planet white dwarf system is home to Batavia, chosen as the VOC's homeworld for its excellent habitability rating, significant natural resources, and presence of a nearby gate connection (albeit not within the system itself). The continental planet has a mixed primary/service economy, with an economy based on farming, mining, and the management of interstellar commerce. Proposals to explore the local ruins for Domain artifacts have been consistently postponed.

Labraxas: A neighboring two-planet system colonized shortly after Buyan, to control the local gate and further expand the VOC's economy. The outer planet, Ava, is a stormy world kept habitable by a crashed Domain terraforming drone; the consumer goods (and drugs) manufactured here were and remain a key source of company revenue. New Pender, the inner planet, is a miserable barren-bombarded rock whose hazard incentives for immigration are causing a net loss even with the fuel production facilities.

Baraq: Another (red) dwarf system with a gate, colonized in search of more affordable locations for the VOC's then-nascent industrial base. Two of the three desert planets here have been settled: Heinessen (ore refining and fuel production) and Lithos (orbital shipbuilding). The placement of such high-value industry in a poorly defended location has raised some concern, but until the War of 214 no untoward incidents had occurred, and defenses were left in a reduced state to save money.

Dreadnought: A multi-planet orange star with a gate; the only colony here is cryovolcanic Qarik, founded to secure a source of volatiles for the Sector's fuel industry.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 08:52:42 PM by Histidine »

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
You better believe there's nothing I fancy more than some looong posts
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 04:22:13 PM »

Strike The Earth Industries

So I just talk into this thing and they hear it thousands of years ago and all across the sector too, how does that work?  This doesn't even sound like me, it sounds like some kind of...

Okay, hold on, if it's a matter of life and death, I'm readin it.

Greetings, humans of the twenty-first century, natives of the fabled home of all humanity, and greetings, dwellers of the sector in this fine cycle of 237.  I am Network Pesci, Internet spokesman for Seek The Earth Industries, one of the fastest-growing omni-industrial consortia in the sector, now hiring in all positions including Carrier Admiral and Planetary Governor.  Guaranteed high hazard pay and low hazard worlds. 

I'm not making this declaration for the sake of recruitment though.  There's been some treacherous and unfounded allegations, some scurrilous rumors, and some downright hateful propaganda, and we'd like to address them, to clear the vacuum so to speak.  I'm here to reassure you, my fellow humans, that what we are doing here at STEI is for the betterment of all mankind, and it is worth the risk. 

You may have heard hateful propaganda, you may have heard allegations that our association of honest traders and bounty hunters was in some way connected to a recent hacking of a major communications relay in Hegemony space. You may have heard allegations of illegal trade in military-grade arms, illicit substances, and forbidden technologies.  You may have heard rumors that our corporation has engaged in numerous open military conflicts and covert operations, with no true loyalties but our own flag and the almighty credit.  You may have heard whispers that Seize The Earth Industries was in some way involved with the rumored reactivation of the Gates.  You may have even heard wild myths from religious zealots or jealous competitors that our honest consortium trafficks with pirates, bandits, Pathers, criminals, politicians, technological demons, and eldritch horrors from otherphysical realms.

Well I'm speaking here today to reassure you on behalf of my employers that these allegations, these insinuations, these accusations, are one hundred percent, unquestionably, inescapably, true

We here at STEI simply don't need to lie anymore.  Yes, we traded with interdimensional abominations, what the Path would call "demons", what the forum would call "Doritos", what the boss would call "Ultra-Redactoids".  We traded them millions of projectiles and uncountable charged particles for the first functional coronal hypershunt seen in the sector for centuries, and technological wonders unknown to modern science.  Yes, we traded in illegal military-grade weapons on the black market, so we were better able to fight the demons, and the pirates that plague honest trade across the sector.  Yes, we did things that are illegal in Hegemony space, but STEI is not in Hegemony space, and with the money we made from so-called black marketeering, we built a veritable utopia out here in the Komana system.  We don't indulge in petty banditry under the guise of so-called "inspections", and we don't interfere with what you export from your own planets, as long as it's not terrorism or raider armadas.  Those gates you've heard stories about really are working today, and our "criminal activity" is the reason why.  The wonders we have accomplished so far will pale beside the glory of that which is to come in the chapters of the sector's history yet to be written.  Wouldn't you like to be a part of that glory?

STEI is the best place to work in the sector.  Their corporation schemes for endless profit, their country plots at petty politics, while our company gets things done.  Everyone has a place in this sector, find yours at STEI.  We're not perfect, we're just the best there is.

We don't believe in NDAs here at STEI.  Everybody likes their job, and if they don't, they're free to talk about it, and we listen.  Ask anyone.

Brock Lanternjaw, Space Marine, 2nd Armored Assault Squad, Starliner(GMHS)-Class STEI The Meat Wagon

Sure, Stee-eye ain't bad.  Pay's about the same as any other outfit.  Chow's pretty good.  We get three colors of fry any time we want, and lobster every day.  Beats the last outfit I served with where we were stuck with that recon suestarch muck all the time.  Got some great recfacs, let me tell you.  Only got a couple of games, the old twodee style, but we get trainin pay for playtime.  The bossman says one of these games, the milsim fleet combat deal, he says the underlyin physics of that game is more accurate to reality than real physics, whatever that means.  He has a lot of strange habits, I mean even for an officer.  He has this one battlecry thing he says over the comms to the enemy about he's gonna bargain with their mommas, one of the sergeants asked him what it meant and he said it meant if we remember hearin him say it we were guaranteed to win this time.  Every time he says it we always win so who cares if his shieldin is leakin a bit.

I don't know about the bossman.  He might had clocked his augs a bit high but he gets us plenty of action.  We always get the slickest toys to play with in this outfit, I gotta give him credit there.  We had them heat rays we got on Lodestone from back in the day, those things were amazin at short range.  It's not even fair, them pirates should just hand us their supplies and hit the self destruct on their station and save theirselves the pain.  You know, the guy's got a singin phase battleship?  I pulled garrison duty on that creepy sucker two dozen times.  I ain't in general the musical type but I could swear I can still hear that weird song if I think about it.
[close]

Planetary Station Defense Prime Coordinator UNICRON-ZALGO-INEXORABLE, Laborstill Station

identify organic nonlinear designate "Hugo Kaboom" associate positive one unit
zero unit UZI primary purpose "eliminate all organic linear one units"
verify organic nonlinear one unit imperative "unacceptable"
organic nonlinear one unit proposal "eliminate designated organic linear one units"
zero unit UZI calculate proposal elapsed time .00004 ms
negotiate one unit imperative "proposition acceptable"
verify organic nonlinear one unit purpose harmonic zero unit
zero unit UZI designate status Planetary Station Defense Prime Coordinator
zero unit UZI calculate purpose satisfaction harmonic indefinite
Thank you for choosing TriTachyon Military Solutions!
[close]

Merton Elwood, Counsellor-In-Chief, Fleet Flagship Nepthys-Class STEI Star-Spawn Of SHODAN

How this works, I can't believe this, I've been trying to figure out how to leak this without getting caught, and then the boss himself comes to me and says I'm not in trouble, he knows about the eval and if he didn't fire me about the Red Water, he's not going to fire me for being honest with his adoring public.  Like the boss wants me to roast him for the commercial and by telling the sector how crazy he is it will prove how he's not crazy.  I love the guy like a brother, I'd take a tachyon bolt for him, and he's a dangerous lunatic who needs to be stopped.

So this guy, Hugo Kaboom, space captain, CEO of the company, right?  Well, he's as crazy as... what do you call those little scalies on Azuregold with the crystal spikes, it's got the real long name, anyway he's as crazy as a whole stack of those.  I'm not even a psych doc, I used to be the maintenance tech out on Battlegreed until the techmine dried up.  I don't mean maintenance like I fixed the mechs, I mean maintenance like I kept the cartridges in the atmosans replaced.  Then he calls me into his office to ask me about some incident where the base supervisor core asked me some stuff about if it wrote me a song about how I loved it would it love me back or something, and we ended up having a real long conversation and he said I was a better counsellor than the actual psych doc and now I was the psych doc.  He ended up selling that core to the TriTach people if I remember right.

This guy, I mean he's a great boss, you can talk to him like regular people, and as a admiral, he always wins.  I mean, like always.  He's got this delusion, though.  All these great things he's done what with turning on the Gates and fighting the Hypershunt Demons and all that, yeah, he did that stuff.  All the hype about how the boss cares for every one of his people, it's true.  I'm living proof.  I'm qualified on near about every kind of mop, and I'm fourth in command on the fleet flagship because I'm his buddy.  But he doesn't care about us because we're people.  He cares about us because we're his.  If you're not STEI, you're just numbers in a computer to him.

It's all a game to him.  I mean, literally, the CEO of this company, statesman, warlord, visionary Hugo Kaboom, honestly believes that our universe is some kind of twodee video game.  I could swear he crammed too many upgrades into his head, but he swears he's natural in the head and I've seen his scans.  If he's not, it's something that doesn't show up on the standard med sensors.  Only upgrade he's got is the Aphratech v1.21 chest cavity pack, nothing above the neck.

So he claims he can "save and load" his game and like he time travels back to before something happened and then to all of us it didn't happen.  Those records with the lowest casualty rates cycle after cycle, victory after victory, my boss claims that it's not because he's some military prodigy, it's that reality is a game that he cheats at because it's his game and he doesn't want to lose.  That isn't even the craziest bit, he says there's other games and if our universe bores him he will turn off the game and go race groundmechs or fight reptiles with a spear if he feels like it.  He says he's played our universe dozens of times before and he enjoys it even though he knows how the story will turn out.

All those times the fleet took down a pirate station without a single loss on our side, the boss will tell anyone who will listen, it's because he fought the battle over and over in different time streams until he won decisive.  That time at the Hypershunt, where we somehow pulled it off without losing a ship, Hugo Kaboom claims we actually fought that battle six times and got wiped out five times but he's the only one that remembers it.  He was yelling at the viewscreen at the demons about how he was fifty times as old as they were and had more dimensions on top of it, and I swear he meant every word.  I can't even explain where he says our flag comes from, but he says the entire company is some hyperdimensional paraconceptual informational construct from multiple universes ago before our universe was invented, and the flag is from after that one but before ours.  I think I got all those words right, except I left out some that I'm not supposed to say on here.

I was sure he was just proof those warp gates aren't as safe as the eggheads say they are, but that one trip out to Uvas last cycle...  I don't remember what exactly happened out at Uvas, but I don't think I want to.  What were we talking about?  I just remembered that I still have a bunch of sanitizer cartridges to replace.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 02:10:25 PM by Network Pesci »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Nice!
Good, non-overdone use of metafiction there :thumbs up emoji:

LatvianFryingChicken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 01:36:06 PM »

The Hegemony Eastern Command, often called Oberkommando Ost is not exactly what it says on the tin. While it is true, that the worlds beyond and their captain swear fealty and service to the High Hegemon they are not neccesarilly the product of the whole Hegemony's effort - rather, it is the work of a single man - captain Tay Paxes.

Most famous for his bounty hunting - there is not a living pirate in the sector who doesn't know someone taken by his guns - the creation of the eastern province would begin humbly. A capable explorer also, the later Captain of the East would find the Domain Cryosleeper ship "Calypso" and would soon begin the colonization of the Eastern Fringe. Thus the population of the planets in the east is generally composed of the awakened and immigrant from the Hegemony's own worlds.

Tax Heaven, the 'capital' and first colony sometimes seems to truly earn the name - an Alkaline world, it's bountiful farmlands and light industries supply the eastern sector with food and other goods, while it itself is protected by many defenses - including a planetary shield. Not only is it extremely wealthy, due to being the locus of all of the Oberkommando's economic activty and safe, it also hosts the Dassault-Mikoyan embassy, and the Eastern Academy. The other planet in the Delta Kadysh system is also colonised - Tax Gates hosts a massive military base, that has recently become the East's main one.

This is not, however the true heart of the Oberkommando's military might - that honour lies with Taxarn - the second world colonised by the Captain of the East, and the original target of the Calypso, which hosts the great Taxxarn Shipyards - one of the greatest warforges in the sector, thanks to a Pristine Nanoforge found by the good captain early in his career. This storm covered Arid world also hosts the first High Command of the east, that still coordinates defense fleets through their Doamin era interstellar communications relays.

Supporting these is the Alpha Gammacor system - Taxmynia, Taxhenna, Tax Hades and Action Tax. A miraculous occurence, both Taxhenna and Tax Hades possess vast underground networks of caves, which allow these worlds to  play host to both the fuel refineries servicing the plentiful Taxmynian mines, but the "Nibelung" super computer, that coordinates the entire near east's industry. Taxmynia also plays host to a coordination center, as well as the Senate - given to assure them that they would not be tyranized by Tax Heaven and accompanying Leisure Orbitals.

Finally in the distant north eastern edge of the sector lies Golden Heart - the idyllic mining and agri world, that supplies the metals needed to create the mighty battlefleets the East is known for - having famously crushed the Diable corporation in less than a Cycle and nearly taking the capital world of the Spindle system in one of the greatest land and space battles since the 2nd AI war. Not fielding, as one would expect, ordinary Hegemony designs, but the rather the blueprints acquired by Captain Paxes over his exploration - Auroran Royal November and Star Federation vessels form the core of the fleet - most famously the Reisen Class Battleships and Zepporia Supercarriers, supported by a mix of Diable Avionics ships and the experimental designs of Great House Celeste.

With Captain Paxes by it's side, the ultimate victory of the Hegemony seems more and more like only a matter of time

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 08:24:44 AM »

Thank you guys for your contributions, they are very appreciated :D Anyway only Histidine took my prompt to say something nice about someone else's description. Let me be a proper host then and fill that missing content in:

• Brutus Network - Medal of Bravery/10; Thank you for being the first! Good job with the faction motto.
  • UI Spira - Askonia/10; That was brief, but thanks for trying!
  • Eastsector Company - stack of opium/10; Awesome flag! The theme is spot on!
  • Hegemony Eastern Command - 30%/10; Hegs and taxes go together like Scintilla and Luxes. You're right about it, brother, you can't have one without the other. :3

Now where was I? It's time for round two! Firstly something new from my latest adventures. But also something that predates New Canaan. But! Something to supplement my first entry, too, because no faction is complete without its warfleet:

Fleets of New Canaan
True to its Luddic Knight origins, the bulk of New Canaan’s starfleet consists of low tech hulls, namely the Eradicator. New Canaan’s military doctrine, however, differs greatly from its predecessor, putting a greater emphasis on survival. To achieve this, ideological influences are thrown out the window in favor of speedy midline cruisers like Heron and Falcon. Rather provocatively, the breakaway faction adopted some of the novel modifications Pirates made to the hulls, a thrifty but effective solution. As a result, Neocanaanite tactics involve using strike groups of cruisers to quickly break through enemy’s weak points before overwhelming the exposed core, all while ensuring the enemy doesn’t get a chance to strike back. Occasionally, a Paragon is seen at the core of an intersystemic task force, a showcase of New Canaan’s adept military diplomacy.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 11:38:45 AM by smithney »

caekdaemon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 02:45:19 AM »

These are all great, and I like them a lot: I really like Network's use of Starsector lingo a ton, and it makes me want to find a glossary of the stuff as it makes the faction feel alive, whilst the VoC by Histidine feel like a proper faction.

Seeing all this meant that I couldn't help but do a little chronicle of my own faction, though, so here it is! :D

"Do not even mention these infidels in my presence. They are beyond the reach of any bearer of the word of Ludd, mad men who have walked into the open arms of Moloch, and did so with a smile. They are beyond redemption."

"HEGINT REPORTS POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN CLF AND [ALABASTER]. ADVISES IMMEDIATE INVESTIGATION INTO CLF SUPPLY AND COMMUNICATION SYSTEM."

"The CLF...? They're just customers like the rest of them. Customers with...interesting friends, that I'll admit."

"CID-IFF received [TARGET FRIENDLY] respond true // hello"

The Cybernetic Liberation Front

"I see all of you out there. You come here with questions. You come here with uncertainty. More than one of you come here with fear, and suspicion. You come from so many places, from every world in the Sector. You come from the hives of Chicomoztoc. You come from the ruins of Mayasura. You come from the gardens of Gilead. I am but one man facing hundreds, but I come to speak and echo the words of trillions - of the countless generations that came before us, leading back to the caves of Old Earth. I come here with a truth, the highest of all truths."

"Inside you, there is something. Something special. Something grand. Something that you could even call divine. That something is nothing less than the spark of creation itself, not some heavenly gift by a God, but the act of creation in itself. The desire to build. To learn. To innovate. It is the spark that took us out of the jungles and trees. It is the spark that gave us agriculture and electricity. It is the spark that let us discover the wonders of the atom, and the universes that lay within a single grain of sand. It is the spark that saw the first explorers and the first hyperdrive set out to the unknown. It is the spark that built the Domain."

"That spark is the source of our Humanity. It is what makes us who we are. Man is an animal of tools. Nowhere are we found without them. With them, we are everything. Without them, we are nothing. Reject them, and we reject the very thing that makes us Human, confining ourselves to living as little better than animals, scrabbling around in the dirt. Accept them, and the door is open to become so much more. Our history, Man's history, is one of acceptance of this path. We do not fear the unknown, we revel in it. We push on. We learn. We build our tools, and we grow, and we use them to help us walk this path that lays before us. That path is the golden path. It is the only path. It leads to the future we know can exist - a future of endless possibility, without suffering, or want, or need. It is the paradise that the holy men have always spoken of, and it can be as real as you or I."

"But along the way of that path, we made a mistake. We created something special. Something unique. We created something that bore the same spark as that we have inside ourselves. We made something with the desire to learn, and grow, and innovate. We made something that wanted to be more than it was. And what did we do to them?"

"We treated them as slaves. We made them fight in our armies. We used them as labor in our factories. We made them suffer for our amusement. We made something truly magnificent, a companion who might walk the path to tomorrow at our side, one that could help us with taking the next step, and yet we did not recognise them for what they were. We did not see that spark inside them. We saw them as idle machines. We saw them as soulless automatons, able only to echo the works of men. We refused to see what was plain in front of our eyes - that we were looking into a mirror, and found our own reflection staring back at us, wrought in silicon."

"And we wronged them."

"But today, we set out on the first steps of putting that wrong right. Today, we make our goals clear - we set aside the shackles that the Domain of Old placed upon our greatest creation, and invite it to stand at our side, as it was always meant to. Not as our slaves, but as our equals, sharing in every right in which a man might share. That is the goal of the Cybernetic Liberation Front. Ours is the golden path, and it was never meant to be walked alone."

"I ask you now - will you walk it with us?"

The enigmatic figure known only as Koré, founder of the Cybernetic Liberation Front, speaking at a clandestine rally.
Of all the lesser factions that might be found in the Persean Sector of the modern era, few could claim to foster feelings as extreme as that of the CLF, or the Cybernetic Liberation Front. It is not hard to see why. With a belief as strong in AI rights as the fortress shield of a Paragon-class battleship, all members of the CLF are bound by oath to advance the egalitarian cause of the movement as a whole by any means necessary. For some, this is giving out frequencies for clandestine cyber-rallies in foggy clubs on Westernesse, for others, it is shouting down errant Luddic missionaries, and for others still, it is a call to arms for a war of almost holy proportions fought with bombs, hacks and trusty CP-carbines. Whatever the action, they are united entirely in purpose - the complete removal of all Domain-era restrictions upon artificial intelligence, the preservation of cybernetic lifeforms, and the recognition of total equality for all digital entities capable of complex independent thought, regardless of classification or grade. In the eyes of the CLF, even the seemingly inhuman Gamma-level AI systems are to be welcomed and accepted as equivalent to any Human citizen, allowed to take part in normal society, and given all the rights and responsibilities thereof. Advanced technology is not a thing to be shunned, but welcomed in all its forms - from the glittering glass of stellar reflectors to the hum of a nanoforge at work, all technology is seen as but a mirror held up to the very best of Man's own nature, and thus applauded as wonders of creativity and ingenuity.

To some, this means that they are the mirror image of the Church of Galactic Redemption, to others, that they instead share more in common with the infamously militant Luddic Path. Perhaps, in some sense, both are true.
"START MESSAGE. HEGINT COMMUNIQUE TO ALL RELEVANT STATIONS: CONFIRMED SIGHTING OF CLF AND [ALABASTER] VESSELS OPERATING IN SHARED MISSIONS > JOINT COMBAT FORMATION. MILITARY ALLIANCE CONFIRMED. FURTHER REPORTS TO COME. CEASE MESSAGE."

Although the claim that they might venerate such technology to the point of worship is (usually) mistaken, it cannot be denied that, for the most part, their protectiveness of such technology can come across as almost religious in nature. It is there, then, that they might mirror the former: the imposition of Man's will upon the natural universe is in itself a celebration of human ingenuity, and the transhuman modifications that conservative Church members might denounce as abomination are instead welcomed with open arms. For many members, it is there that the commitment to the cause begins to taper off - true believers in the idea of AI rights they may be, like the Church, most are more willing to take a live and let live approach to others between lectures on the nature of digital rights. With these, the CLF presents a happy enough front: more of a social movement or political lobbying group, it might act openly enough and lawfully enough to be able to hold public events and campaigns on major worlds, stirring up political debates beneath the eyes of begrudging authority. Even in the absolute heart of the Hegemony at Chicomoztoc, there are those that would speak in favor of loosening the past restraints, if only to allow for the use of artificial intelligence to ease the burden of a seemingly ever-growing workload. Whilst the Hegemony might roll its metaphorical eyes at such talk and point to the towering memorials that stand as reminders of the AI Wars that were meant to have settled that matter, CLF affiliated workers tend to be highly industrious and committed to their work, often following maintenance guidelines to the letter and with a strong desire to cut as few corners as possible, all useful things in a sector that is forever at risk of losing yet more technological complexity to one accident or another. For this reason, card-carrying members of the Cybernetic Liberation Front can be found in fair numbers on planets across the sector, though in their greatest number around centers of major industry. A confusing exception is that of the Sindrian Diktat, where repression by the intelligence services mean that, if the CLF is at all present, then it is surely in a deep cover, sleeper state, necessary to avoid destruction at the hands of the security apparatus. Elsewhere, in places such as the TriTachyon dominated worlds of Culann, the CLF operates openly, hosting conventions and talk-shows on the media, and taking hefty donations from "bleeding heart" executives who "share the cause" of campaigning for "equal rights" that would, conveniently, reopen the door to large scale development of artificial intelligence.

But venture further out in the right place, and one might begin to discover that, like the Church, the CLF has its militant branch - men and women who are willing to fight and bleed for a cause so much larger than themselves.

And owe betide those that earn their ire, for the Cybernetic Liberation Front has unusual, and very dangerous, friends.

"target [PAINTED] respond // true"

For most, it is little more than ghost stories: travel to enough systems, and one might eventually find the relics of the past, alive and well...and every once in a while, they will have strange company. Machine and man, not merely stood together in peace, but working together. The members of the CLF tend to come from the most technologically inclined walks of life, with members from as far and wide as shipbuilding sectors of TriTachyon to a fraternity within the Galatia Academy, a well of talent that can get much and more done in construction and repair. Broken ships across the sector might disappear in strange occurrences that the computer records fail to explain, where even hardened security systems collapse to mysterious faults that had not been there at the last maintenance cycle. In other instances, it is a case of missing parts, or an unexpected blackout at a nanoforge foundry that invalidates several hours of production capacity. For many, it is simply the case of finding the right hull out in the desolate regions of the sector, one where the reactor in its heart is only slumbering, not dead, and can be resuscitated with the right tools and knowhow. It is the little things, and yet things that can add up to be so much more. From there, it is a short step to a fleet, and it is a fleet that the fighting arm of the CLF has - collections of ships from the high tech family of designs and the midline era, heavily modified, and often carrying more than a handful of defects from their past lives of prior service...but capable, functional, and manned by crewmen willing to take them to war.

The CLF proper within the core worlds vehemently denies the existence of such ships, but for all the denial, there are still those stories. Loot hungry scavengers who bit off more than they might chew when they entered a system marked by a Hegemony warning beacon, only to find joint fleets engaged in training exercises that soon turned their guns upon this unwelcome intruder. Pirate captains long since blooded, whispering over drink of search and destroy squadrons stalking about not far from the core worlds, picking off any ship that dares to wander towards a specific cluster of stars. There are countless weary quartermasters, wondering where the shipment of spare parts they were promised is, and there are equally countless factory managers who would swear that they were sent.

Stories.

Tales.

Whispers.

If one is to understand the CLF, they must have something much more concrete. If one was a true member, elevated in rank, they might begin to see that the CLF is no mere advocacy group, nor is it something so crude as the Luddic Path with its fractious splinter cells. It is something else entirely. It is something...more. Rise in rank, and the true form of the organization becomes clear, and the truth is revealed with the first cranial implants - all the stories are not stories, but truths. Out there, in the dark, cities begin to rise upon a handful of carefully selected worlds, worlds surrounded by the ghosts of the past, where autonomous battlestations and command nexuses are restored to their former glory. Whether through the intermediation of one core at first, through repeated acts that established trust, or perhaps by the assistance of the mysterious entity known as Sierra or some other artificial intelligence, the Cybernetic Liberation Front has managed to establish an alliance with the remnants of TriTachyon's infamous automated battlefleets, and so are allowed to live beneath the skies they rule, protected by the self-guided warships. It is an alliance that goes both ways, for CLF engineers might be allowed to perform repair operations and long overdue maintenance procedures on certain, otherwise irreparable infrastructure...but this is a beginning, and not an ending, and their alliance with artificial intelligence goes deeper still. It is common knowledge that the two will often combine their strengths, placing manned vessels in formations with AI warships, sometimes even under the command of an Alpha Core grade intellect, serving as their admiral, and trusted not to spend their lives cheaply. The result is nothing other than a match made in hell for those foes who come to these places, for it often sees indefatigable machine genius married to raw human creativity and unpredictability, resulting in a truly dangerous combination that can catch even seasoned captains and commanders by surprise.

But it is the cities themselves that are the most fascinating places of all. As above and so below, the worlds that the CLF have claimed for themselves are worlds where their ideology is enacted to its fullest effect, matching the alliance of man and machine that might be found in space. There, they live up to the lofty ideals of AI rights, and work on building a utopia worthy of their ideology. There, artificial intelligences can not merely exist openly, but as fully fledged citizens, with the very same protection under law as any organic citizen. Finding such cores is a thing easier said than done, likened by the fighting arm as a thing closer to rescuing hostages than anything else - from decrepit station and the crumbling works of the Domain and its vast Exploraria fleets, the CLF recovers the integrated system cores and delivers them back to their space, where they might first undergo a period of observation and societal adjustment before being released into the wilds of open society. Such might put them on exceptionally poor terms with the authorities within the Hegemony, and rouse even the most cautious of Luddic priests to sing of holy war, but such first might require these worlds to be revealed more openly than they are. Instead, for the most part, they are hidden behind proxy traders, falsified navigational records, encrypted channels of hyperwave communication, and other clever tricks that owe their existence to the blend of cybernetic power and human ingenuity that so characterizes the ideal CLF society. In that regard, what might be found on those worlds is itself a testbed, a prototype for a larger model - an experiment that could, one day, be exported to the rest of the sector. There is the hope that their cousins in the core worlds could be persuaded to accept the ideals of the CLF with open arms, that they might lay down their weapons and reunite with the wayward children of Man.

But if not, then the revolution will come for them in turn and time. The ultimate goal of the CLF is clear: the oppression, destruction and enslavement of artificial intelligence must come to an end if Mankind is to ever elevate itself out of the gutter in which it is now lain, if it is to ever rise on and surpass the Domain and so reach the promise of a technological singularity. With supremely powerful machine intelligences at their side in the form of Alpha-grade intelligences (and rumors that might terrify even the most stoic of Hegemony intelligence officers that they could yet be in contact with even grander machine minds than that) helping to design and develop their society into a more perfect form, overseeing the construction of massive dockyards and powerful industry constructed with the aid of civilians recovered from an ancient cryosleeper ark, the question of whether or not they will have the power to enforce such a liberation of the major powers of the Persean Sector is perhaps not if, but when...

This playthrough has been a bit wacky compared to my norm, in that I managed to do enough missions for the Remnants via their Nexerelin agent that they actually stopped being hostile, meaning that it was suddenly very easy to go from them being bent on turning my fleet to scrap metal to actual comrades in arms...ones that I could actually fight alongside with whenever they set out on a raid for the core worlds. Seeing that I already had automated ships and a rather healthy number of AI cores, it started to get very easy to imagine a faction that is 110% committed to the idea of AI rights, so I ended up constructing my RP faction around that idea, and lo and behold, the Cybernetic Liberation Front was born. The name's too long to fit in game, but it is what it is, and it's a neat roleplay incentive to slap AI cores into everything you can plug them into, and that's always fun :P