Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Author Topic: Modded Faction AARs  (Read 795 times)

Zumberge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Modded Faction AARs
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:43:33 PM »

In brief: Starsector modded faction AARs in a Google document.

There's a lot of mods, and after the initial "add everything" phase that we all go through as new players, I decided it would be a good idea to try runs with individual faction mods, both to learn the game and to see which ones I enjoy using (which thus far appears to be all of them).  This lead to two things: Me streaming on Twitch, and me getting my thoughts in order by writing about what happened, the faction used and my thoughts on it, any advice that I thought was timely, and probably a comical amount of digressions.

Having only read narrative let's plays and not a lot of other AARs, the influence probably resulted in these being more verbose, but at the very least it should be formatted in a way that certain parts can be skipped easily.  If it's found lacking then I apologize for using too many words to say too little; creating mods proper would be in the cards except that I have more ambition than ability on that front.

...and if I might, a disclaimer.

Spoiler
Game modding is something near and dear to my heart (I've been in the Doom modding periphery for about as long as it's existed), and as I see it, it's an expression of enjoyment of a game in its purest form: Not just playing it, but taking one's own time and energy to create additional content for it with no thought of compensation outside of the act itself.  It contributes to the reach and longevity of a game, bringing people into it who may have given it as pass, and providing fresh content to invite former players back.  However minor you might think a mod you created is, it's part of a greater legacy that's older than some of the people who are using it.

Any opinions or ideas regarding a mod you created or worked on only have as much credence and weight as you're willing to give them, and if that amount is "zero," then so it goes.  At the end of the day, you're only beholden to yourself.

tl;dr: We cool?
[close]

Damexius

• Ensign
  • Work on progress
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Faction AARs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 02:04:07 PM »

:) I see, I'm interested in this topic since I like to make faction mods, but yet I'm not a master at coding for now.

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:30 PM »

Read the whole thing, it's not the usual AAR format, but it was informative and interesting, gave me a couple of ideas for mod factions I might add to my next playthrough if vanilla doesn't get that update this month.  It's always nice for the ego to see one's own build in the wild.  When you say you modded Doom, do you mean OG Doom from the nineties?  Likewise.  The first time I ever paid for a shareware program, I'm pretty sure it was DeeP97 that I used to make my own Doom levels.  These days all the modding I do is fiddling with StarSector mods to make them all play nice.

I have a higher tolerance for this than most others, but I didn't find it "too wordy" at all.  We cool, I don't know why you'd think we wouldn't be.  Unless you wrote the CiH/Chernobyl virus that destroyed all my modded Doom levels (backups don't help if the backup carries the malware too) in which case I would cheerfully saturation bomb my own planet on the off chance it will get you too.  Naw, we cool.

Lyrical parody of a verse from a popular song on the radio in those days
April twenty six, nineteen ninety nine
Got home from work, my day was goin fine
Then I sat down and turned my computer on
and the [REDACTED] thing told me that my hard drive was gone
[close]

Zumberge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 07:20:40 AM »

Read the whole thing, it's not the usual AAR format, but it was informative and interesting, gave me a couple of ideas for mod factions I might add to my next playthrough if vanilla doesn't get that update this month.  It's always nice for the ego to see one's own build in the wild.

It's probably closer to journaling than AARs, since I have more experience reading narrative let's plays and the latter half of all of these is just me getting my thoughts out.  I made an attempt to pare down or summarize what was and wasn't important in the narrative, because there was an awful lot of "and then I did X" going on during the runs.

When you say you modded Doom, do you mean OG Doom from the nineties?  Likewise.  The first time I ever paid for a shareware program, I'm pretty sure it was DeeP97 that I used to make my own Doom levels.  These days all the modding I do is fiddling with StarSector mods to make them all play nice.

Yeah.  With me it was DEU when it came to levels, but I played around with DeHackEd and EDGE's .ddf stuff more than level editing.  Really gives you an appreciation for what people do when you understand the limitations that they're working around.