Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Legion is too underwhelming?  (Read 17060 times)

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Legion is too underwhelming?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2022, 01:58:09 AM »

100 plus OP is probably a bit overkill but yeahm, it needs more OP 50 sound like enought. Onslaught has more OP and Heavy ballistic integration for the same dp.
I agree with that it needs more speed and better manouverability. That or more aromour and at least one rear facing medium ballistic slot for pd (and +OP to be able to put something there as well)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 02:40:30 AM »

I think gC_pilot meant 10 op, but it was written 10OP so it kinds looks like 100. That being said, I think 15 SU is too much, that's a 50% speed boost bringing it up the level of conquest and mora. The legion get more fighter wings than the mora and it's a lot tougher than both a them, so that seems easy to abuse. The more I play with it the more it feels like a weaker onslaught that doubles as a fighter platform, which is actually fine once get the carrier skills: you get 2/3 of an astral's fighter bays and 2/3 of an onslaught's power. They also benefit a lot from ordnance expertise as ordnance spent on fighters counts towards the skill. I don't think it would take much to bring the legion to a decent spot, maybe 100 armour so it matches the onslaught, or give it omni-shields by default so it can protect that exposed rear.

Also, sidenote, looking at the wiki it says 15k hull and 1500 armor when that isn't true it's at 18k hull and 1650 armour. I guess it got buffed at some point.
TL;DR deez nuts

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »

God please no more hp focused buffs, it's already annoying fighting some fleets that take forever to kill that just happen to have officers with every tanking skill in the game. Nerf to Hardened shields was a nice step back, we seriously don't need to buff base hp and armour of existing ships. Look what happened to Enforcer, it was underwhelming before and people asked for buffs. Now it's less underwhelming but purely because it takes ages to destroy in early game. I don't want the same to happen to Legion, gimping all offensive potential just to have another brick that increases combat duration.

It honestly needs a nice flux dissipation buff so you're not always encouraged to spam medium missiles.
Please don't take me too seriously.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2022, 05:04:18 AM »

I think gC_pilot meant 10 op, but it was written 10OP so it kinds looks like 100.
Ability to transform 4 characters into 5 characters, (10OP vs 100OP) then argue about that virtual result only highlight need for simple skill and weapon description I talk about other thread. I am going to repeat again,  develop a great rule for Hard flux beams, Or fancy skill like Polarized armor is great way to make game not approachable to  average player.  Reading skill and understanding math relations is somewhat lowering for  several decades ... .
That being said, I think 15 SU is too much, that's a 50% speed boost bringing it up the level of conquest and mora.
Yes. It was the idea, that Legion capital could be something else than  Onslaught. e.i. not focused at armor,  not focused at pure firepower but rather deliver mobility of cruiser carrier in the capital size. Other way speaking, Legion selling point No  1. mobility (reason  there are no back side weapons, they are not needed because ship is mobile enough, plus has fighters).
no more hp focused buffs, it's already annoying fighting some fleets that take forever to kill
I am in line of worries , just dont make another PD armored/hp brick. Every ship should offer some specific role in combat.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:13:11 AM by gG_pilot »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »

More OP is about the only thing I’d consider. I haven’t played with base Legion in awhile because XIV is ridiculous but yes, compared to other capitals that have room for all sorts of hull mods, Legion seems anemic in the OP dept.

Weird thing about Legion is that you don’t really want Bombers on it. It gets too close to enemies for the sync to really line up so you end up putting a ton of fighters on it. The “carriers have low OP” design seems meant to discourage massing tons of bombers but in the Legion’s case, that’s not even what you want so it gets penalized for simply being a carrier. I dunno. It’s tricky to balance.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2022, 09:50:19 AM »

Yeah anything more expensive then broadsword fighters is probably too much for the old Legion.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

I don't think it needs any more dissipation: its a bit low, but the ship doesn't have many mounts either. 1000 before skills gives it enough to comfortably run 2 large ballistics including an elite gun, or it could run 2 basic large ballistics + multiple mediums, or use smalls for kinetics, etc etc. Or run 7 HVDs :p Once skills are factored in, Legions start running into the problem of not enough mounts to effectively use all its flux! (Because using more flux means taking off missiles.) Its a competent gun platform that will in a generic configuration win vs everything but battleships while also having 4 fighter bays, and in a specialized configuration will also beat the battleships.

Repeating myself a bit from earlier, but it just needs more OP. Other capital units can run multiple hullmods while the Legion struggles to run more than 1 or 2 before S mods are factored in. 30 OP would be good as that would add 1 more high cost hullmod or 2 low costs.

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »

I don't think it needs any more dissipation: its a bit low, but the ship doesn't have many mounts either. 1000 before skills gives it enough to comfortably run 2 large ballistics including an elite gun, or it could run 2 basic large ballistics + multiple mediums, or use smalls for kinetics, etc etc. Or run 7 HVDs :p Once skills are factored in, Legions start running into the problem of not enough mounts to effectively use all its flux! (Because using more flux means taking off missiles.) Its a competent gun platform that will in a generic configuration win vs everything but battleships while also having 4 fighter bays, and in a specialized configuration will also beat the battleships.

Repeating myself a bit from earlier, but it just needs more OP. Other capital units can run multiple hullmods while the Legion struggles to run more than 1 or 2 before S mods are factored in. 30 OP would be good as that would add 1 more high cost hullmod or 2 low costs.
Dissipation on is not something to be proud, but it works. Which cannot be said about flux capacity. It's somewhat passable at 25-30 DP and lesser size, but not on a ship as big as Legion. Huge size, low overall capacity and efficiency, it's all leaves much to be desired. That shield quality works on smaller and far more nimble ships, but not on capitals.

And about 30 OP, i agree, it will add more versatility to the ship, which it needs.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2022, 12:24:31 AM »

It would be pretty funny if the base Legion had more OP than the XIV variant.
Please don't take me too seriously.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2022, 12:45:10 AM »

After the eagle buff the legion only has 1000 more capacity lol. Earlier I said something like 20-40 op but maybe we could make do with 10 op and ~20% more flux capacity.
TL;DR deez nuts

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2022, 04:07:56 AM »

This is elephant in the room, which no one talk about.

Rocket version is better than the base  version because  of ... rockets.
When you buff up the base Legion to become reasonable then XIV variant hit superb  evaluation.
So, I would be careful ask for for buff in the ranges of +(30 - 50)OP  but rather stay in range  +(10 - 20)OP
-  on top of this add
- make this ship cheaper Deployment Points, minus 5 ; currently it costs same as Onslaught  which is mistake, I believe. 
- make  it faster for up to  +40%
https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Legion says  :
"a carrier of its own worthy to serve alongside the Onslaught. Thus the Legion was designed to provide a mobile platform for basing interceptors and strike-craft while able to stand on the line of battle. "
Beeased on description, I think  Legion should not win over Onslaught. Legion  should be set as a fast support ship in capital  bracket.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:37:46 AM by gG_pilot »

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2022, 04:55:18 AM »

Sadly ballistic rangefinder doesn't affect the mediums, as they are not pure ballistic mounts.
I would like a change to ballistic rangefinder's conditions: the mount or the gun need to be pure ballistics to have an effect instead of only checking the mount.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2022, 06:59:27 AM »

Funny enough ballistic rangefinder is the one thing the base legion uses better than the XIV variant, but if you do that then you have to ask where the pd is going? I guess you could run railguns with double devastators or put a dfc in that front composite slot.
TL;DR deez nuts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2022, 07:55:31 AM »

This is elephant in the room, which no one talk about.
It was why I did not suggest Heavy Ballistics Integration to effectively give base Legion +20 OP if it mounts heavy weapons because XIV cannot use that.

Funny enough ballistic rangefinder is the one thing the base legion uses better than the XIV variant, but if you do that then you have to ask where the pd is going? I guess you could run railguns with double devastators or put a dfc in that front composite slot.
Dual flak cannons (I put one on each side if I use them) and maybe Xyphos in one of the bays too since none of the mounts aim at the Legion's rear.

In case of XIV, I have used four Mining Pods for fighters and focused on guns and missiles.  (Main reason to use XIV in this case is to spam Hammer Barrage or Cyclone Reapers that are generally too hard to use with most other ships with large missile mounts.)

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2022, 11:01:44 AM »

I did not suggest Heavy Ballistics Integration to effectively give base Legion +20 OP if it mounts heavy weapons because XIV cannot use that.
Well, I would. Base version is weaker it need some buff even more than XIV version.
Basic Legion with heavy ballistic mod vs XIV with  rockets mounts  seems balanced both  variants to me.
Then add to both versions : cheaper by -5 DP and faster by +15su
Job done.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:04:28 AM by gG_pilot »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13