Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Energy Weapon Mastery  (Read 1380 times)

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Weapon Mastery
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 11:45:22 PM »

If we must change EWM, I would only set the maximum damage boost at 80% of the flux capacity.

It's not a bad skill as it is, just unwieldly.  My Odysseys are typically sitting 80%-90% flux when fully engaged, and EWM makes for one spicy tamale for any ships that try to swarm it.
80% as peak maximum is reasonable. It gives operating range with full bonus. It is better for human  player prediction  of  results. I  think this system  of treshold, should  be used for other skills to.  Like Polarised armor. Max bonus  from polarised  armor  at  80% of  hard  flux. And shield less  ship  get  flat max bonus.

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Weapon Mastery
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »

My two cents: why only focus the discussion on the flux/range/damage holy trinity? There's many, many other avenues for reworking this skill. A few pop to mind:

1. Add an EMP component to non-beam energy weapons.
2. Non-Instant Beam weapons have their beam speed doubled.
3. Beam energy weapons cause a small explosion upon first contact with target: max of 1 proc/second per weapon
4. Beam energy weapons can cause a small amount of hardflux buildup on target shields
5. Energy weapons mounted on Hybrid slots gain half the benefit from the Ballistic Mastery skill

those could be combined with the holy trinity, or with each other, in many ways.
Pages: 1 [2]