Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is Thumper good now?  (Read 6108 times)

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Is Thumper good now?
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:26:17 AM »

I dont think so.
In an other discussion thread someone mentioned that Thumper is buffed and it is a good weapon now. I tried to make it work on Falcon and other midline ships but every time it would have been better to simply use the more classic balistic options.

Does anyone have a good build that uses Thumper?

I think maybe extending its range and lowering its dps may make it a designated anti-fighter weapon. The ballistic counterpart of the new IR-Autolance if you will. Sadly fighters are not that scary this release either so i dont think many people would use them even then.
This will devolve into a Conquest thread

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is Thumper good now?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 03:32:09 AM »

Thumper was busted because it paired exceptionally well with busted breaches. Now that the latter are nerfed, Thumper doesn't do that well. I still use it on pirate Eradicators, Onslaughts, and early to midgame Enforcers.

I will 100% percent use Thumpers on Pegasus/Executor when those come out.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 03:33:35 AM »

Why would you use it on a Falcon??? The ship has 2 ballistic mounts my man. I use them on Enforcers, Eradicators, Onslaughts, so basically any ship that has tons of ballistic mounts where you can't comfortably fill everything with premium options. Plus it helps with finishing things off so I don't need Harpoon spam. Breaches also combo amazingly well with Thumpers, you just need good kinetic damage.

EDIT: Just saw the nearly identical comment above lol. I mean Breaches aren't that worse now, they're just not overpowered.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 05:38:38 AM »

For me, Thumper has a range problem.  The range itself is not bad in theory, but better options usually have better range.  I generally use range boosting hullmods on 700 range small weapons or 800+ range larger weapons.  The few times I use 700 range weapons (bigger needlers), I need anti-armor more than a dedicated hull ripper.

The biggest problem with Breaches is lack of use by AI.  They almost never fire the things!  They are more conservative with Breach than with Harpoons.  I cannot rely on AI to use Breach when they need to.  Linking them to a gun (or another missile that always fires like Squalls) is required, but it should not require that.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 06:03:40 AM »

And whats the role of thumper on Onslaught or Enforcer? Why would it be better than heavy mortar? It doesnt kill even lightly armored stuff much faster.
I get it that Onslaught has enought mounts that you can put waste some of them on thumper and it still works, but it would work better with any other.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 06:06:42 AM »

And whats the role of thumper on Onslaught or Enforcer? Why would it be better than heavy mortar? It doesnt kill even lightly armored stuff much faster.
Thumper absolutely demolishes fighters and is reasonably efficient against shields. Comparing it to mortar is apples and oranges. It's more of a cheaper sidegrade to heavy needler - less efficient against shields, but more efficient against hull and cheaper, both are great anti-fighter.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 07:21:39 AM »

I get it that Onslaught has enought mounts that you can put waste some of them on thumper and it still works, but it would work better with any other.
Because it can actually hit the targets, unlike Heavy Mortar. And you're free to use both weapon on the same ship (which is how I fit some Eradicators early), it's not like you have to give up all HE weapons if you want to use a Thumper.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 01:30:48 PM »

It's not a good weapon by itself, but next to a chaingun?  It can nudge the flux buildup to threatening levels.  I imagine a chaingun and thumper brawler can put serious pressure on most ships up to mid-game.   And once it's started to chew armor, it does serious damage.

I've been using a thumper plus ion pulser on some modded ships, and it's a pretty scrappy pairing.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 03:15:15 PM »

Thumper is a "budget" option, where you have an empty medium ballistic slot that is neither a main battery position nor suitable for PD weapon but you still want to fit something into it. Individual thumpers do terrible jobs, but a pair or more toward a same direction MAY inflict moderate damage to small ships or shot down a couple of fighters.

The only place I always employ thumper is all four slots of the "non-main-battery side" of a conquest during time it doesn't have ballistic integration, and now two of them is occupied by devastators. I'm still keeping 2 thumpers on my conquest tho.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 07:22:13 PM »

No, the Thumper isn't good, but what do you expect from a 7 OP medium ballistic? As a budget weapon that you use because you don't have access to actually good weapons, well, it's acceptable. It does a lot of things; shield pressure, burst damage, hull damage finisher, but it doesn't do any of them particularly well. You can slap it onto any empty medium ballistic mount on any loadout and it won't be completely useless but it won't be actually good, and this is what it's intended to be.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 04:27:28 PM »

No, the Thumper isn't good, but what do you expect from a 7 OP medium ballistic?
Another workhorse weapon like Railgun or Heavy Mortar.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 11:21:10 PM »

Is Thumper good now? I dont think so.
Does anyone have a good build that uses Thumper?
No, the Thumper isn't good, but what do you expect from a 7 OP medium ballistic?
Look at this nice Naked armor build with with two Thumpers.
GeneralView
Pilot
Weapons
TestBattleStart
TestBattleResultSimulator
Eradicator has 17 DP so Make simulation battle vs : 2 Hammerheads, 1 Mule, 1 Carrier = 37DP 
This Build eats them all at once for breakfast. All AI control only.

It uses ammo clip, so Thumpers get loaded to 90 ammo, so when ship uses System Jets, to come close, it flushes out whole load to make kill.

Ship is used as Frigate&Destroyer fast killer, it excels in 1vs 1 fights or similar small fights.
Due to Elite Helmsman and No Shield and System Jets it is Super speedy. Build is especially good to quickly reach and holds a beacon against enemy small wings. Eventually sneak behind enemy line  (main force), then backstab.
Although keep it away from capital ship clashes and station battles, or it melts.

If you thing any other weapon is better, then lets make it a contest. Same ship Eradicator, same opponents.
So, do you agree Thumper is GOOD ?

BTW: how do you insert picture to fit the screen ? This forum seems like insert original size, so it overlaps, and make it ugly.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 10:26:45 AM by gG_pilot »

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 07:17:36 AM »

I put thumpers on an Onslaught to solo the Ziggurat

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »

With that many skills its not a surprise. Even then i think it would do the job faster if you had used different weapons.
Onslaught is probably th best machup aganist Zig. With regular human officer, in a regular fight I dont think it would work.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 10:30:07 AM »

With that many skills its not a surprise. Even then i think it would do the job faster if you had used different weapons.
Onslaught is probably th best machup aganist Zig. With regular human officer, in a regular fight I dont think it would work.
It looks to me you  just bubling withou any proof. Scroll 2 posts up, and answer the challenge. Can you make better Eradicator build without Thumper?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4