Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sector map placement  (Read 1400 times)

Khaos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sector map placement
« on: June 08, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »

Hello all,

A question about the sector map; is there a lore specific reason on why the maps are being generated with the north-east side of the core worlds nearly always empty spaces for a good 10-20 LY of empty space - or is it possibly being generated that way because of the generation of the map arcs, or that the core sector is not a perfect centrerpoint to the sector map? I would like to know if that is something I want to tweak, or just leave it alone - I am using Adjusted sector and this came up nearly on all the generated maps while I was testing my settings...

Thanks!

Khaos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Sector map placement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 03:48:22 PM »

This has always agitated me. The center of the Sector should be Askonia, not Hybrasil! Plus, as you said, it leaves a rather pointless gap of completely empty space on the north and east edges of the Core.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 04:02:28 PM »

Proc-gen systems are not allowed to spawn in a rectangle around the center of the map.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:03:41 PM »

Hmm - is this shot from a modded game? The stars on the bottom are way too close to the core, I don't think I've ever seen that in vanilla.

Proc-gen systems are not allowed to spawn in a rectangle around the center of the map.

This is not the case! The "no star spawn" area is based on the location of the core stars, and you should get an even amount of empty space all around it. Looking at a few in-dev saves of vanilla, that's what I'm seeing.

Khaos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »

This is a larger sector made with Adjusted Sector mod. There are roughly 110% of stars/constellations on the map after adjusted to the larger size, but even at this size, the core worlds are always looking like they are being mushed into the worlds directly south and west. I guess the vanilla should be OK on this front, so it might be interesting for the mod author...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 08:43:25 PM by Khaos »