Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autofit. That's the whole topic.  (Read 1434 times)

Yendorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Autofit. That's the whole topic.
« on: June 07, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »

Since I don't know where else to put it...

but Autofit is in dire need of... I don't really know...
Anything

As fun as it is to run into
A Condor missing two weapons, but running dual xyphos
[close]
A phase frigate that thinks minnig beam weapons are a nice thing to run
[close]
The literal proof that AI was a mistake.

Not only is the med slot filled with a small weapon, no, it's also asymmetrical
[close]
Let's run a non-PD weapon in the only pure PD slot on the ship
[close]
An officer that is either the most courageous person in the sector, or a total lunatic
[close]
Whatever the hell THIS is supposed to be

[close]

as much is it offputting and irritating.
Pirates running garbage I can totally understand.
Pathers too.

[Redacted]? not so much.
High tech factions? not really.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Autofit. That's the whole topic.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »

I honestly feel autofit being total crap is a good thing. It means players who learn proper loadout design are rewarded with their ships being better than the enemy ones.

I remember being annoyed with SWP because their recommended autofit loadouts are pretty much optimal out of the box and leave little opportunity for improvement.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 10:33:11 AM »

(Just FYI, there are two separate things here - one is autofit (which e.g. can be used by the player), and the other is what weapons the game decides are available for autofit to choose from when outfitting a specific NPC ship. There's quite a bit of RNG in the latter, and it also depends heavily on the faction *and* on the ship production quality, so seeing some poor fits in a vacuum is, unfortunately, missing important context.)

Edit: just to make sure, are these all from the latest version of the game? Some of these (the Paragon in particular), it's a little unclear how that would happen in the latest release.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:39:18 AM by Alex »

Yendorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 11:04:21 AM »

The paragon (as well as the Sunder) are not form the latest version, they were back in 0.9.1. Didn't realize that the code for outfiting NPC fleets got changed. Which in itself is kind of a clue that it might still need a bit of tuning

The whole mining-laser brigade however should be most recent.
As should the dual Xyphos condor
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:06:15 AM by Yendorc »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:50:14 AM »

I quite like the anti-fighter support Paragon you've got on display there.

That said it's weird if it was from a faction.  As something the player (or a bounty) might kludge together from whatever they had on hand... it's a usable ship.  It has two heavy blasters to hurt stuff that gets close to the front, Paragons are pretty tough so it's not like it can't absorb hits, and that layout looks pretty low on the flux costs except the heavy blaster.

Any fighters that get within range just flat out die, right?  I can see a load of swarmers, several beams and accurate weapons, double heavy burst PD...

Sorry for the off topic, I know it's not really related to the thread as such, but, I've seen -much- worse weapon layouts overall :)