Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fighter pilots should be treated more like marines are now  (Read 2601 times)

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter pilots should be treated more like marines are now
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2022, 06:33:31 PM »

You underestimate how many people actually like to do that cause they played the SIMs as kids.
Ok so 11, not 10.

More like 12

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »

If I remember correctly one valid point made by Alex is that the existence and non-viability of Recovery Shuttles kind of makes a statement in its own right - you can save the lives of your fighter pilots with great effectiveness, at just a small cost in combat effectiveness... but if you only see your crew as the human beings they are, and not as the disposable resource they are mechanically.
This is a game, not real-life where other intangible factors may apply.  Those "human" lives in the game are not human lives, just fiat currency or tokens that the game says are humans.

And even if I want to roleplay, I probably would role-play Black Sabbath's Iron Man who wants "vengence from the grave, kills the people he once saved" since the core worlds as a whole are an ungrateful backstabbing lot.  And that is if I did not want to role-play an aspirating "ruler of the universe" instead like Ming the Merciless or other mad power-hungry villain.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 07:00:19 PM by Megas »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2022, 07:19:09 PM »

That said, fighter pilot experience would be neat but it'd unfortunately be likely to fall into the same pits as the old crew experience system did (since, well, it's basically the same thing but without applying to ships), whereas marines are mostly just a resource that can become more effective per-marine as it's used

That's a good point.

(Trying to do the same resource economy thing with pilots would be weird because it'd make high attrition fighters more appealing relative to tougher fighters.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]