Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: [0.96a] Exotica Technologies v1.8.5 - updated Jan 21st  (Read 239413 times)

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.9
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2022, 09:27:21 AM »

v1.0.10 released. fixes a crash on loading a save while a fleet with special upgrades was out and about

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.11
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »

v1.0.11 released. fixes an error when recovering a ship with exotica tech. it didn't crash the game, but the red error was probably annoying.
the more notable part of this is that i fixed surely all cases of exotica tech not salvaging properly from said debris fields.

https://github.com/scardwell15/ExoticaTechnologies/releases/download/v1.0.11/Exotica-Technologies-v1.0.11.zip

WOWOWO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2022, 08:51:32 AM »

cool

Xarlas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2022, 12:13:27 AM »

I noticed that modifications are gone when recovering a ship (found in the world) with story points.
I play with Starpocalypse, Unknown skies and Adjusted Sector (all at default settings) so it could be an mod incompatibility.
I appended a save game file to the issue on github.
If the Sunder "ISS Faraway and Gone" is recovered using a story-point, it has no modifications.
When scanning the not yet recovered ship it shows that it has an exotic modification.

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »

Great idea, poor implementation. All of my exotics and upgrades on all of my ships randomly disappear. Replaced them 3 times on my flagship already and it keeps happening. Completely useless.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2022, 09:52:42 AM »

Great idea, poor implementation. All of my exotics and upgrades on all of my ships randomly disappear. Replaced them 3 times on my flagship already and it keeps happening. Completely useless.

I am not this mod author... but anyway I never had that bug.

I suggest you post your mod list, it might be mod incompatibility issue. For example there are 2 other mods that I know that kinda mess with same thing as Exotica and might have problems, one of them  has a known bug (author is fixing) where it was deleting some hullmods.

Bucket

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2022, 02:34:47 PM »

Honestly, the reason many people loved System Reloaded is for the huge resource sink required to craft existing ships into elite versions at the endgame. This feels like another hull mod, except it basically side steps the restrictions of the vanilla hull mod system and implements a similar derivative of the same system where individual mods have been split into decks of cards to create an artificial overclocking effect(?). This is redundant and does not make sense.

Gating upgrades behind unique raw resources otherwise is a very good change. For an example, I want to slather
Spoiler
HMI's grey goo
[close]
all over my ships for some very unique traits.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:46:28 PM by Bucket »

power12359

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »

I am not this mod author... but anyway I never had that bug.

I suggest you post your mod list, it might be mod incompatibility issue. For example there are 2 other mods that I know that kinda mess with same thing as Exotica and might have problems, one of them  has a known bug (author is fixing) where it was deleting some hullmods.

I have similar problem with my upgrades disappearing.
My mod list is
Attuned Drive Field Hullmod
Commissioned Crews
Exotica Technologies
Grand Colonies
Industrial Evolution
Lazy Lib
Magic Lib
More Hullmods
Nexerelin
Unusually Gullible Hullmods

Could one of these mod be conflicting?

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2022, 01:52:19 PM »

Suggestions:

1. Mod really needs a better way to steal mods from other ships, you don't want to necessarily salvage them, maybe you it is not even possible in first place (like automated ships without the appropriate skill).
2. Need some weak upgrades with no downsides so you can fill the "bandwidth" of any ship if you have resources for it, you are making this a "further specialization" mod, but you can't predict every single specialization players will invent, so the mod might end useless because none of the upgrades fits a ship. (suggestion: 1% weapon range per level, 2% battle speed per level, 2% extra cargo and fuel per level, etc...)
3. What would make your mod shine above many others, is if you add some explorer-friendly things, for example currently only one mod (HMI) adds a hullmod that increases sensor range! Would love if exotica improved sensor range!

Longer term suggestions:
would be nice if the "exotica branch" was an actual building, and be available only on some planets, or allow on all planets (maybe even on space) the player to tweak his exotica a little, but have more powerful options only available on planets that have the real building. Also make building improve colony too.
Also you could add HMI and Shadowyards resources to to the mod too, like using nanites and capacitors to craft some mods. For example have nanites improve "physical" mods like armor, and capacitors improve the "energy" related mods, like flux or speed.

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.12
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »

update to v1.0.12

Ovid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2022, 06:53:08 PM »

Yeah, I had a WTF moment just now. I had a derelict ship I needed to spend a Story point to recover, it had an Exotic on it. But when I checked it in my fleet, it had no Exotica modifier, and when I went to the Exotica industries menu, it didn't have anything installed.

I'll be honest, I kind of wish the Exotic stuff would show up if we scrap a ship instead of having to recover it. That way, the story point expense of safely removing the Exotic is because we get to keep both Exotic and the ship it was on.

Then again, for all I know, the Exotic might be worth more credits than the ship it's on. I don't know, I haven't looked at what Exotics sell for.

Compared to Power's mod list above, I have these mods in common:
Commissioned Crews
Exotica Technologies
Grand Colonies
Industrial Evolution
Lazy Lib
Magic Lib
More Hullmods
Nexerelin

Technically, I have a lot more mods, but these are what I have in common with Power.
I DO NOT have Unusually Gullible Hullmods.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:02:24 PM by Ovid »

Mcgrolox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2022, 10:23:38 AM »

I can +1 to people having the recovered with story points bug, and for now simply suggest that if you see a ship that has an upgrade you want but it requires SP to get, it might as well be considered that it doesnt have that upgrade, because it won't anymore when you go to recover said upgrade.

For OP, very much like the mod, naturally have a plethora of ideas on how to do things differently but don't want to obscure your vision. As far as constructive points go:
-I agree with the idea that having more exotica mods that change support concepts (ie sensors, sensor profile) would be good, some examples of ideas might be
     *[Oversized Sensor Array: More sensor strength, more sensor profile and/or less cargo/crew/fuel space] More/larger arrays collect better signals, but send out more noise and take up space
     *[Externally Radiated Systems: Less sensor profile, less hp/armor/shield strength and/or worse flux management capabilities and/or less sensor strength] Having hot ship systems radiating heat/flux externally constantly and locally allows them to maintain some degree of a smaller sensor profile, but opens up vital systems to damage/interferes with typical inbuilt flux systems/causes interference with sensor arrays from increased local noise.
     *[Bootstrapped Logistics Compartments: More storage/fuel capacity/crew space, less hp/armor and/or manueverability/speed and or CR cap/recovery rate] Essentially filling non-essential spaces with more storage and strapping additional containers wherever they would fit outside the ship gives more space, but interferes with crew movement, reduces overall structural integrity, and/or increases mass (this one may be largely redundent iyo just because its an additional overhaul to the existing vanilla logistics storage mods of similar, albeit completely positive, function, so largely just spitballing some stuff here).
-I also agree with Ovid that there should be a chance (it wouldnt even have to be too high, something akin to getting AI cores from [REDACTED] ships piloted by them maybe) to get exotics from salvaging ships with exotics without recovering them.
-I actually quite liked the idea of the Alpha core, something that would normally be used either for a pilot or a colonial enhancement, also being able to be used instead for an exotic improvement; with this in mind, what if some other vanilla colonial domain tech could do that, ie Cryoarithmatic engines being used for something that increases accuracy, damage, or fire rate as the ship's flux level rose, almost like the Energy Weapon Mastery Perk? If it was fire rate, it could also prove to be the double edged sword where as you redlined flux to get the dakka you ran a greater risk of overloading your ship (would naturally have to not be overridden by the behaviour that guns wont shoot if they would overload the ship - this could also mean the exotic could be used to allow ships to shoot a weapon they didnt have the flux capacity for normally, but would always overload their ship doing so).
-Not so much an idea, but I've noticed that even for the super high tier, lots of 3 built in upgrade capitol ships Kill Fleets, the number of ships that have exoticas and the level of exoticas they have are often still just three to five ships (often logistics as well) with only one or two upgrades, the impact of which I usually dont notice. That said, the scary stuff is still way more scary, but it all has LOTS of Exoticas, including often multiple exotic techs, so there might be some merit in slightly increasing the likelihood and level of mods on high tier faction fleets (larger raids/expeditions, with Nex the ones that get S-mods since iirc that is a Nex thing, etc) to find a little more of a difficulty middle ground with that. Unfortunately I dont know how hard that would be to implement since I'm a pleb with modding/code, so if it isnt a doable feel free to ignore me in my own ignorance and I apologize.

Mostly ideas, otherwise good work, much wow, super appreciate <3

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »

hard to implement logistics-only upgrades without relegating them to only logistics ships or making them very low bandwidth. if they're very low bandwidth, then they can be installed at little to no cost on combat ships, which makes them a no-brainer. if they're relegated to logistics ships then i remove choice from the player
potential option is to base upgrade cost on Civilian Hull mod, but may cause issues if Militarized Subsystems is installed since i would want to allow for that to be installed after installing upgrades.

i like your upgrade ideas though

as for colony items, the idea is more for you to find the exotica upgrades alongside the colony items rather than using the colony items on your ship. i like the cryoarithmetic engine idea and may use that in the future, although not tied to that item

i can change fleet generation to generate more upgrades/exotics on s-modded ships too. easy enough

Mcgrolox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2022, 02:25:00 PM »

So, I understand to some degree what you mean regarding taking choice away from the player, even if in an indirect sense - as it stands, the only mods I typically use for logistics ships are infernal engines to bring up max burn, and sometimes commisioned crews for low pop ships with higher maintenance such as phase logistics ships. So then following the argument that I was going to make that with the max bandwidth being limited to 350 (and as far as I can tell no quick and easy way for a player to change that in configs), as a counter to installing logistics upgrades on combat ships being a no brainer (since they would in theory usually want the combat oriented upgrades instead, of which they can only have at most 2 maxed out at a time as it stands anyways), I do understand that it would instead (following a bandwidth cost for logistics upgrades that followed either the 5, 10, or 15 costs of the existing upgrades rather than a very low cost, which for all I know the 5 cost was included in that but point aside) be a no brainer to just put those upgrades on basically every logistics ship out there, which even if there was the choice not to do either of those things it would only be there as a token point considering that it wouldnt make sense for any player to forgo a logistics upgrade on a logistics ship or a combat upgrade on a combat ship in favor of neither or the opposite cases. I'll think about it and see if I can come up with anything to work around that flaw since you're right that it is quite apparent and would be detracting.

If S-modded ships can be considered a class or faction variable the same as your current lists in the configs and it really is that simple or something akin to that, that is awesome, since it would perfectly allow that middle ground difficulty ramp that wasn't just making X faction that much more OP around the board and might also allow players to config the actual value of how much more difficult they wanted those sets of enemies to be, but either way it sounds like you have something in mind already for that direction so that's super cool.

I really appreciate you reading all of my silly ideas and giving feedback on them - once again I also appreciate the work you put into the mod, and naturally when my silly ideas dont work or go against any vision you have I take no offense if you dont like any or all of them now or in the future <3

(This is a stupid and unrelated question and I apologize ahead of time: what mod is the EIS Rome Eventually from, if it isn't one made for private use or the like? I did look around and probably just missed it, but couldn't find it, and that design pattern is really nice so I was going to check it out for another playthrough)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 02:27:40 PM by Mcgrolox »

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2022, 03:37:58 PM »

So, I understand to some degree what you mean regarding taking choice away from the player, even if in an indirect sense - as it stands, the only mods I typically use for logistics ships are infernal engines to bring up max burn, and sometimes commisioned crews for low pop ships with higher maintenance such as phase logistics ships. So then following the argument that I was going to make that with the max bandwidth being limited to 350 (and as far as I can tell no quick and easy way for a player to change that in configs), as a counter to installing logistics upgrades on combat ships being a no brainer (since they would in theory usually want the combat oriented upgrades instead, of which they can only have at most 2 maxed out at a time as it stands anyways), I do understand that it would instead (following a bandwidth cost for logistics upgrades that followed either the 5, 10, or 15 costs of the existing upgrades rather than a very low cost, which for all I know the 5 cost was included in that but point aside) be a no brainer to just put those upgrades on basically every logistics ship out there, which even if there was the choice not to do either of those things it would only be there as a token point considering that it wouldnt make sense for any player to forgo a logistics upgrade on a logistics ship or a combat upgrade on a combat ship in favor of neither or the opposite cases. I'll think about it and see if I can come up with anything to work around that flaw since you're right that it is quite apparent and would be detracting.

If S-modded ships can be considered a class or faction variable the same as your current lists in the configs and it really is that simple or something akin to that, that is awesome, since it would perfectly allow that middle ground difficulty ramp that wasn't just making X faction that much more OP around the board and might also allow players to config the actual value of how much more difficult they wanted those sets of enemies to be, but either way it sounds like you have something in mind already for that direction so that's super cool.

I really appreciate you reading all of my silly ideas and giving feedback on them - once again I also appreciate the work you put into the mod, and naturally when my silly ideas dont work or go against any vision you have I take no offense if you dont like any or all of them now or in the future <3

(This is a stupid and unrelated question and I apologize ahead of time: what mod is the EIS Rome Eventually from, if it isn't one made for private use or the like? I did look around and probably just missed it, but couldn't find it, and that design pattern is really nice so I was going to check it out for another playthrough)

the ship is from Iron Shell.

the hardest part of designing upgrades is actually making the icon for them, as funny as that is. the concept is the hardest, but once i get the concept down creating both the icon and the code is very easy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26