Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: [0.96a] Exotica Technologies v1.8.5 - updated Jan 21st  (Read 241585 times)

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.2
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »

Did you improve what the Alpha Subcore gives you?

As I recall the results over in ES were rather lackluster for requiring an Alpha Core.

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.1
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »

Congrats on the new release, though I have to say I'm more fond of Extra Systems so if I may ask will it still be supported?

i do not want to maintain two versions, nor do i want to support a mod that has a reputation of being incredibly unbalanced

Tis a shame, but fair enough

Good luck with the future of this mod

exotica is extremely modular so if you want to make a mod that adds the upgrades you want, you can feel free to do it

Thanks, believe me I would if I could bro

I couldn't figure out how to "recompile" a .java to save my life  :'(

Zordiark Darkeater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 10:50:39 PM »

Does this mod work with Other mods like ship/faction mods ?

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 11:31:42 PM »

As I recall the results over in ES were rather lackluster for requiring an Alpha Core.

i think reducing the op cost of all weapons on a ship is a fairly big improvement already (which is what it used to do)

but now it also increases bandwidth, which is directly tied to how much upgrades you can install, so there's that

Does this mod work with Other mods like ship/faction mods ?

yes

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 12:32:18 AM »

i think reducing the op cost of all weapons on a ship is a fairly big improvement already (which is what it used to do)

but now it also increases bandwidth, which is directly tied to how much upgrades you can install, so there's that

Shame, I was looking forward for it to be buffed

Could you at least put the OP cost reduction to be configurable in the exotics.json just like the other augments?

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 04:12:39 AM »

... i think reducing the op cost of all weapons on a ship is a fairly big improvement already (which is what it used to do)

Yes reducing op cost is "good", but the amount it used to give (1/2/4) was... not impressive for an Alpha Core. Much more useful to stick those in colonies, or as the pilots of the better automated ships.

I proposed in the other thread for using all the types of cores and increasing the op benefit depending on the quality of core (Gamma = 1/2/4, Beta = 2/4/8, Alpha = 3/6/12), or have them all give the standard bonus (1/2/4) and have the higher quality cores provide additional benefits (ie a percentage increase in fire rate, accuracy, etc). Better core means higher and/or more benefits, lots of things you can do with that.

You could also just reduce the required core to Beta, while it's still less than what I would think an AI of that level could do, those don't have enough to do in game (overshadowed by Alphas).
At least you made retrieving the cores from the ships without destroying them possible... I think.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:41:18 PM by Oni »

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 04:31:54 AM »

Yeah I'm probably migrating for the chance to loot enemy ships upgrade parts, really adds to the experience

And I really want bombers to get -4 discount since they're generally more expensive than fighters

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »

Thinking about it, I suppose you could also slide the "all three cores give op benefits" down on the scale if you liked the idea I proposed earlier but think the high end is too over powered.
It'd give you a Gamma = 0/1/2, Beta = 1/2/4, Alpha = 2/4/8 setup. If you think that's more reasonable.

kit1607

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 11:59:09 PM »

I notice that since I installed the mod I could not find any items that can be installed on the colony.

Maybe bad luck, I literally found 0 of the industrial items but the exotica ones are abundant.

I also found that upgrade uses more relic components then stated
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 05:52:12 AM by kit1607 »

Algoul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »

First of all - thank you for your work.
If the author does not mind a little criticism, I will allow myself to say a few words.
The mod is quite structurally good and theoretically meets all high quality standards.
For example, that ship changes now spawn and can be looted is a good idea, as is the scanning system.
The problem is exclusively in the field of changes in the characteristics of the ship itself. The penalties imposed by the changed state of the systems force the player to refuse to apply the changes. The player is PUNISHED for bonuses. And while the bonuses are negligible - for a lot of money.
I understand perfectly. that the respected author tried in the so-called "balance", the meaning of which, from my probably erroneous point of view, is exaggerated by the author - probably as a result of the horror he experienced from flying monsters that could be created in the previous mod.
I would take the liberty of suggesting, to the respected author, that the penalties increase exponentially as the number of bonuses increases - completely abandon them in the first three levels of improvements.

nekoworkshop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »

If the author does not mind a little criticism, I will allow myself to say a few words.
The mod is quite structurally good and theoretically meets all high quality standards.
For example, that ship changes now spawn and can be looted is a good idea, as is the scanning system.
The problem is exclusively in the field of changes in the characteristics of the ship itself. The penalties imposed by the changed state of the systems force the player to refuse to apply the changes. The player is PUNISHED for bonuses. And while the bonuses are negligible - for a lot of money.
I understand perfectly. that the respected author tried in the so-called "balance", the meaning of which, from my probably erroneous point of view, is exaggerated by the author - probably as a result of the horror he experienced from flying monsters that could be created in the previous mod.
I would take the liberty of suggesting, to the respected author, that the penalties increase exponentially as the number of bonuses increases - completely abandon them in the first three levels of improvements.

I agree with you here. This is purely personally preference that I preferred the upgrades in pervious version (ESR) where you have the freedom to boost any stats you want without having to sacrifice anything other than resources. It not only allows you to fulfill your power fantasy of your unstoppable flagship but also offered a way to adjust the balance of different mods since you could top off some less-powerful modded ships so they can perform at a level you expected them to be.

I can see the author putting in thoughts so that the trade off of each upgrade is much less significant than the benefit but still, currently every time I upgrade my ship I simply cannot shake off the feeling that I have to sacrifice some of the stats in exchange of the others.

Luckily the author has mentioned the mod is very modular and easy to add your own upgrades. I'm more than willing to fire up my IntelliJ and get my own hands dirty if the author wouldn't mind pointing me to the general direction of adding more upgrades to Exotica Technologies via a separate mod.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:52:38 AM by nekoworkshop »

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »

I agree with you here. This is purely personally preference that I preferred the upgrades in pervious version (ESR) where you have the freedom to boost any stats you want without having to sacrifice anything other than resources. It not only allows you to fulfill your power fantasy of your unstoppable flagship but also offered a way to adjust the balance of different mods since you could top off some less-powerful modded ships so they can perform at a level you expected them to be.

I can see the author putting in thoughts so that the trade off of each upgrade is much less significant than the benefit but still, currently every time I upgrade my ship I simply cannot shake off the feeling that I have to sacrifice some of the stats in exchange of the others.

Luckily the author has mentioned the mod is very modular and easy to add your own upgrades. I'm more than willing to fire up my IntelliJ and get my own hands dirty if the author wouldn't mind pointing me to the general direction of adding more upgrades to Exotica Technologies via a separate mod.

i see where you're coming from and i'd be happy to remove the debuff from the first couple of levels to each upgrade. edit: and i'm not going to lie, i've experienced the same level of trying to keep away from upgrades because of the downsides they incur in my first full playthrough since releasing the mod.

as for custom upgrades, there's no guide for doing something like this yet. the process involves modifying upgrades.json (to point it to your new upgrade class, along with resource costs), modSettings.json (to make the upgrades spawn on derelicts/other ships through the whitelists), and also creating an icon for your upgrade so that it pops up in the scan dialog correctly.

if you're familiar with mod-making or just java in general it should be on the easier side thanks to the way i've set it up, but it's not going to be as easy (right now) as Void-Tec will be

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Exotica Technologies v1.0.3
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2022, 01:15:16 PM »

i've released a save-compatible update in the main post (or here https://github.com/scardwell15/ExoticaTechnologies/releases/download/v1.0.3/Exotica-Technologies-v1.0.3.zip )
it will remove most drawbacks before level 3, except where they don't really make sense. the drawbacks still scale to the same final value at max level as before this patch, however.

Edit: there is a known bug with Infernal Engines displaying an incorrect Deceleration debuff.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:03:53 PM by presidentmattdamon »

chancoco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2022, 05:24:25 PM »

Thanks for your work and for continuing the mod. It's basically a second form of loadout optimization, and that's one of the features that I like about the game. I think this mod can really help with the overabundance of resources in the mid/late game, where the player's colonies are well-established. It provides a sink to pour all of it into. Exotics hunting (as opposed to "farming") might be an endgame activity to pursue too.

Some feedback. Having a stat breakdown of what is increasing and decreasing when selecting an upgrade would be helpful. Because there are drawbacks, this would help the player make better decisions on which upgrade to use bandwidth on. I know the hullmod does provide details, but that's after installing the upgrade.

I feel that exotics should take up bandwidth too. Like how we have to decide to take a hullmod over more weapons or flux/vent, the player should have to decide if they want more stats or the unique features of an exotic.

Lastly, maybe add in a generic exotic that halves or nullifies the drawbacks. This one is just a toss-away idea or maybe a band-aid fix.

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »

Thanks for your work and for continuing the mod. It's basically a second form of loadout optimization, and that's one of the features that I like about the game. I think this mod can really help with the overabundance of resources in the mid/late game, where the player's colonies are well-established. It provides a sink to pour all of it into. Exotics hunting (as opposed to "farming") might be an endgame activity to pursue too.

Some feedback. Having a stat breakdown of what is increasing and decreasing when selecting an upgrade would be helpful. Because there are drawbacks, this would help the player make better decisions on which upgrade to use bandwidth on. I know the hullmod does provide details, but that's after installing the upgrade.

I feel that exotics should take up bandwidth too. Like how we have to decide to take a hullmod over more weapons or flux/vent, the player should have to decide if they want more stats or the unique features of an exotic.

Lastly, maybe add in a generic exotic that halves or nullifies the drawbacks. This one is just a toss-away idea or maybe a band-aid fix.

that second exotic idea is actually the second time i've heard it, so i could consider it somehow.

as for what you're suggesting about limiting the exotics, it's definitely something on my list to figure out eventually. not sure if bandwidth is the right solution though
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26