Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ballistic Rangefinder  (Read 2414 times)

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ballistic Rangefinder
« on: May 15, 2022, 06:39:22 PM »

Does this hullmod increases hybrid weapons such as cryoblaster base range by 100 always right, even if there is no large ballistic slot? What's the reason of this very specific increases by the way?

DaShiv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistic Rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 07:37:50 PM »

For non-PD hybrid weapons on ballistic mounts:

No Large Ballistic
Small hybrid: +200
Medium hybrid: +100
Large hybrid: +100
Capped at 800 max.

With Large Ballistic
Small hybrid: +400
Medium hybrid: +200
Capped at 900 max.

The idea is to make Omega weapons useful on ballistic mounts even though their ranges are designed to be consistent with energy mount usage.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:02:37 PM by DaShiv »

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 06:16:43 AM »

For non-PD hybrid weapons on ballistic mounts:

No Large Ballistic
Small hybrid: +200
Medium hybrid: +100
Capped at 800 max.

With Large Ballistic
Small hybrid: +400
Medium hybrid: +200
Capped at 900 max.

The idea is to make Omega weapons useful on ballistic mounts even though their ranges are designed to be consistent with energy mount usage.
Odd, because I tried to use cryoflamer with storm needler, Storm needler has 700 base range and cryoflamer supposed to have 500+200 base range but their range is not matching.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 06:22:15 AM »

Cryoflamer has 400 base range.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 07:15:37 AM »

I modded and made it 500.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 08:01:27 AM »

The only other thing I could think of is if any of the mounts are not ballistic. The medium and large mounts you are using have to both be ballistic. Otherwise, Idk.

I've used cryoblasters in medium ballistics on onslaught and gotten the rangefinder bonus, so it does work.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 02:24:30 PM »

The only other thing I could think of is if any of the mounts are not ballistic. The medium and large mounts you are using have to both be ballistic. Otherwise, Idk.

I've used cryoblasters in medium ballistics on onslaught and gotten the rangefinder bonus, so it does work.
I'm using dominator, all the mounts except the missiles are ballistic.

DaShiv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »

I suspect that could be your problem right there - it's possible the Cryoflamer's unique particle behavior didn't get range-modded correctly. I just tested Cryoflamer on a BRF Conquest (400 + 200 = 600 base range) and it range matched correctly with Pulse Laser's 600 base range.

If you have a Ballistics Mastery officer, that'll also throw off range matching since the Cryoflamer won't receive the BM range bonus.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »

I just tested the exact scenario you said: cryoflamer with modded 500 range on dominator with storm needler and looked fine. The cryoflamer arc doesn't reach quite as far because the medium mount is set back on the hull compared to the large mount, but the ranges were the same from the mounts.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »

The range with Cryoflamer adjusted to 500 + Ballistic Rangefinder and Storm Needler is working just fine for me, see picture of Conquest (where the weapon mounts are more or less side by side), where the ship also has ITU installed -- so Ballistic Rangefinder's 200 range bonus for medium hybrid weapons is adjusting the base range, as it should.

On the Dominator, the large ballistic mounts are in front of the medium ballistic mounts, (which the game does take into account for weapon ranges), so that might be why you're seeing a discrepancy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »

I suspect that could be your problem right there - it's possible the Cryoflamer's unique particle behavior didn't get range-modded correctly. I just tested Cryoflamer on a BRF Conquest (400 + 200 = 600 base range) and it range matched correctly with Pulse Laser's 600 base range.

If you have a Ballistics Mastery officer, that'll also throw off range matching since the Cryoflamer won't receive the BM range bonus.
You are right Ballistics mastery was causing the issue since Cryoflamer's stats only benefit from energy weapon buffs not ballistic ones. Oh well, this is embarrassing  :-X

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »

TBH, it's not your fault at all. The game does a really poor job of displaying all the range modifiers to the player. It's something that has been brought up before, and I really hope it gets improved.

Something like displaying "base range (modified range)" e.g. 500 (650) in the outfitter when looking at weapons for a particular slot, and then having a tooltip showing all the range modifiers when you mouse over the modified range.