Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the point of Defend order?  (Read 2914 times)

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of Defend order?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 07:27:53 AM »

Man you keep coming to posts even vaguely mentioning AI and constantly spam that the game needs direct commands like an RTS. It's not that type of game, nor could it handle that sort of system. It would just make the game harder and even more frustrating for everyone who tries to play it that way (like the new players you so care about). Give it a rest or make a mod yourself if you can't stand the current system.

After all this thread is specifically about the Defend order.
He has a point though as far as I remember even Alex agrees that orders usually screw up the battle and in general player should avoid giving orders.

If even Alex agrees then there isn't really much of a point in going to every AI related thread to say it, as he already knows and might have plans to work on it in the future.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 07:31:38 AM »

Yeah defend works the opposite to what you might think.

You don't assign a destroyer to protect a carrier, you assign a carrier to protect a destroyer.

It might be easier if you think of the order as "Defend Arse." As they will endeavour to defend the targets rear end but not it's face.

EDIT: Oh my reading comprehension is poor.  ;D

Yeah it's basically just an attempt to have a ships somewhat nearby to 'defend' the area with no real preference as it who is in front or behind. I'll often assign several defence targets at a battle start with some ahead of the others for my gunboats, and the rear most ones for support ships like carriers, to create a very elastic fleet formation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:42:57 AM by Igncom1 »
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 07:44:13 AM »

It might be easier if you think of the order as "Defend Arse." As they will endeavour to defend the targets rear end but not it's face.
I propose that as the new official name, it's in the developers' best interest to have good and clear naming that won't confuse anyone.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 02:22:23 PM »

I think there's a *small* jump between "this has issues and should be improved" and "we should redesign the game".
Just saying he has a point, not neccesarily thinking the game should be redesigned.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »

Man you keep coming to posts even vaguely mentioning AI and constantly spam that the game needs direct commands like an RTS. It's not that type of game, nor could it handle that sort of system. It would just make the game harder and even more frustrating for everyone who tries to play it that way (like the new players you so care about).

I literally never said that it should be like an RTS. I know what kind of game it is. I never said that the whole combat needs to be remake. What i said in this exact sam thread that there should be two types of command one direct and one that we have now. So if somebdy is not is not comfortable using direct commands they can still use what we have now.
I myself would use them in mixture generally using the less direct ones and only using the direct command when i want to make a pincer manouver an exact battle line, or in edge cases when I really need that one ship to attack the overloaded target in front of it but refuses to do so any other way.
I dont want the micromanagment of an RTS I want a bit more controll over my ships. Or at least taht command would actually be intuitive and work like many belive they supposed to.

There has been some improvments already as i havent seen my frigates going up into the face of enemy stations which is nice.
Pages: 1 [2]