Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannot start game on Mac OSX  (Read 14299 times)

Lixus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cannot start game on Mac OSX
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:18 AM »

Hi

I felt in love with this game immediately! But for some reason I can't launch the game...

Java:
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

Whats wrong?
Pls help!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:14:09 AM by Lixus »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot start game on Mac OSX
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »

Hi Lixus, sorry to hear the game is giving you trouble!

When it fails to launch, a "Console" app should appear on the dock. Can you click on it, copy the entire contents, and send them to me/post them here?

Also, what kind of a mac are you running it on?

Lixus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »

Damn.. I knew I left something out...

Model:   MacBook
Model id :   MacBook4,1
Prosessor:   Intel Core 2 Duo
Prosessor speed:   2.4 GHz
Cores:   2
L2-cache:   3 Mt
Memory:   2 Gt

Console wont open. Not even when I specify in the Java-options "Console: Always show console"
When I try to run other java apps console opens.

I tried to unzip the game few times and even redownloaded it, didn't work

Luckily game runs great on my pc.
Ps. WHEN we get the game to work on my mac, I can use the same serial, right? :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

Hmm, odd about console not opening. The game in general ought to run fine on a mac, but obviously, in this case it doesn't.

Thanks for the extra info - unfortunately, without the console output, there's just not enough to go on. In the next build, we should have logging working on a mac and that should give more info in a case like this.

Glad that you have a PC to run the game on for now.

Ps. WHEN we get the game to work on my mac, I can use the same serial, right? :)

Yes, absolutely!

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

Hello,

I am posting in this thread because I wanted to let you know that this problem still persists. I just purchased the game and I cannot get the downloaded file to launch and no java console appears.

OS X 10.5.8
  Model Name:   MacBook
  Model Identifier:   MacBook3,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   4 MB
  Memory:   1 GB

I'll run through and update my java and anything else that might need updating and see if it works then. If I have to wait until the next release to help fix this that's no big deal. I'm more excited about the future development of this game then just playing with the combat anyways.

Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »

Argh, sorry about that! I'll make getting logging to work on a Mac more of a priority. Please keep me posted - if you manage to get any more info out of it, that could help a lot. I do have a Mac to test on, but it's an older macbook - and it works fine there - so I'm really dependent on player help for getting it to run smoothly on various hardware. Clearly, working logging is important in that regard :)

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

I've updated everything than can be updated and it still won't open. The java console remains empty. If I knew any other way to get you a log I would but it appears on my side that it's aborted before it ever gets off the ground.

When you finish with your mac logger I'll run it asap. I'm guessing that won't be until the next release and since I don't know when that will be I'll just check back periodically.

Thank you for the speedy response.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »

Hmm. It sounds like it's dying before it even gets to the part where it would start logging. Can I trouble you to try running Starfarer from Terminal, if you have an opportunity? Hopefully that will shed some light on what's not working right. The steps are:

1. Open up Spotlight, type in "terminal", press enter

2. Once in Terminal, go to the folder you've placed the Starfarer app bundle in - if you just put it into the Applications folder, the command to type in will be:
Code
cd /Applications
If it's in another folder, you'd have to go to that one.

3. Once in the same directory as the app bundle, run the following two commands by typing them in and pressing "enter":
Code
cd Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS
./JavaApplicationStub

And then let me know what the output of that is? Normally, that would run the game, but in this case I'd expect some shenanigans.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

[JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
[JavaAppLauncher Error] This process is [i386] and was re-exec'd from [i386], but for some reason we are trying re-exec to [].
[JavaAppLauncher Error] unable to find a version of Java to launch

I've never had a trouble with a Java app before but perhaps I should re-install a fresh version just to make sure.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:25:12 PM by Dorfs R Fun »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »

Thank you, that really helps!

Hmm... googling it some seems to indicate that upgrading to 10.6 (Snow Leopard, afaik) may fix the problem. At least, it seems to fix the same problem for other apps :)

We'll try and see if there's something we can do about that on our end, too.

Edit: after some more googling, this may be a solution:
Code
$cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub 
 /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS

(From this blog post)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:38:46 PM by Alex »

wooaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:47:09 PM »

i tryed that and this is what happend.  the game still will not run. note that i replaced my name with (USERNAME).

$cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
Last login: Sun Dec 31 19:00:29 on console
(USERNAME)macbook-pro:~ (USERNAME)$ $cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed loading MRJApp.properties file
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed while getting Resource/Java directory
[LaunchRunner Error] No main class specified
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:113)
   at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
   at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.main(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:61)
(USERNAME):~ (USERNAME)$  /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS
-bash: /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
(USERNAME):~ (USERNAME)$ $cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed loading MRJApp.properties file
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed while getting Resource/Java directory
[LaunchRunner Error] No main class specified
[JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:113)
   at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
   at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.main(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:61)
(USERNAME):~ (USERNAME)$  /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS
-bash: /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
(USERNAME):~ (USERNAME)$

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »

Hi - thanks for trying it! I don't think that worked quite right, though. Let me clear the steps up a bit, so hopefully we get on the same page.

First of all, what you actually want to do is replace the JavaApplicationStub executable file in the Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS directory with one under /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/.

The first question is, where did you put Starfarer on your system? Assuming it's in the Applications folder, what you want to do is run the following as a single, one-line command from Terminal:
cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub 

It wraps around in this post because it's too long, but needs to be a single command when you type it in - that is, type/paste the whole thing in without hitting enter.

Once that's done (and again, assuming Starfarer is in the Applications folder), you'd need to run these two separate commands:
cd /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS
./JavaApplicationStub

If that successfully runs the game, you'll be able to run it normally from that point on. If you put it somewhere other than the Applications folder, it might be easier just to move it there before doing these steps. By the way, would you mind telling me what version of the OS you have?

wooaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »

thanks! i did what you said, and now the game starts! thank you so much for your help.  and i am useing 10.5.8. i know that is lower then you said before, but your workaround helped.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »

Excellent - glad it worked for you, and great to know there's a confirmed workaround. Thank you!

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the extra details. It started right up. I'm glad I decided to check the forums again.
 ;D
Pages: [1] 2