Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cannot start game on Mac OSX  (Read 14300 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot start game on Mac OSX
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »

Great! Thanks again for your help earlier.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »

Hey, I started out thinking I was having the same problem, and did the terminal run thing, but I get a permission-denied error. I know some people have helped me solve this before, but I just can't remember how to do this, and my Google skills are weak.

Thanks!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »

First of all, what you actually want to do is replace the JavaApplicationStub executable file in the Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS directory with one under /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/.

The first question is, where did you put Starfarer on your system? Assuming it's in the Applications folder, what you want to do is run the following as a single, one-line command from Terminal:
cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub 
 /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS

It wraps around in this post because it's too long, but needs to be a single command when you type it in - that is, type/paste the whole thing in without hitting enter.

Once that's done (and again, assuming Starfarer is in the Applications folder), you'd need to run these two separate commands:
cd /Applications/Starfarer.app/Contents/MacOS
./JavaApplicationStub

If that successfully runs the game, you'll be able to run it normally from that point on. If you put it somewhere other than the Applications folder, it might be easier just to move it there before doing these steps. By the way, would you mind telling me what version of the OS you have?

I had to do this again for the new release so I thought I would give this thread a bump.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

Thanks - good call. I think I need to put together a "Troubleshooting" thread, with the info from here (and a couple of other threads) in it.
Pages: 1 [2]