Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI scared of missiles  (Read 1135 times)

Audax

• Commander
    • View Profile
AI scared of missiles
« on: May 08, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »

So I recommend having at least one anti-ship missile like harpoons or reapers on any ships you have if possible.

The enemy AI tends to vent a lot if you don't have them and when the enemy vents your AI ship tends to just stare in the abyss instead of venting with the enemy or pushing for the kill.

This is really apparent in medium to large ships with close or same maneuverability and speeds but one has missiles while other one doesn't, it is worse when both you and the enemy has hard flux accumulated, the enemy vents while your AI ship does nothing but turn off their shields then fight in a disadvantage because it didn't vent enough hard flux.

Just adding one or two anti-ship missile changes the entire ball game allowing for you and the enemy AI to not vent at all during the fight but instead turn off shields more often.

This goes the other way to if the enemy does not have missiles but your ship does, your ship will often and most likely vent a lot during the entire fight.

Though all this can be fixed with having more ships in the fight, having fast ships in the fleet, or having missiles on your ships. At least now you know missiles are important for the AI even though they don't use it effectively. Also so that you don't rip your hair out when your ships are doing weird decisions.

Any missile might work as well but not too sure.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI scared of missiles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »

One of the only ways I lose ships in the early to mid game is when one of my ships is forced to vent and the enemy fleet launchers 10+ harpoons at it lol

Audax

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:47:49 PM »

One of the only ways I lose ships in the early to mid game is when one of my ships is forced to vent and the enemy fleet launchers 10+ harpoons at it lol
Its unavoidable when it happens, I tend to command all my ships to try and stay together since the moment they break off the moment they do stupid things. Their are a few occasions where I allow them to do there own thing but that is only when I am at an advantage even then I try to keep them together as much as possible.

DirectionsToL3Please

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 09:09:16 PM »

Annihilator pods are great too.  A single pod not so much, but several ships each with several pods can create a sort of "shield push" effect when they volley a cloud of rockets.  The enemy will usually recoil, allowing you to get a little bit of control over battlefield placement.  Given how amazingly crap the AI is at moving well in the battlespace, it's nice to have an option to sort of corral the enemy or at least hold them back into a line so you can more effectively bring your damage dealing weapons to bear.  Annihilators do almost no damage, ultimately, but they are the only reliable way I've found to keep enemy frigates mixed in with their main fleet instead of flanking my AI-controlled ships.  And because of that, it makes targeted hits on the most dangerous ships of a fleet easier, and also significantly increases the usefulness of my PD systems.